Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

On 17/05/2020 at 13:21, Tayls said:

I stand by my opinion that we have been a lot worse without him. I don’t know the true facts... haven’t been bothered to research it, but I think we look a lot weaker. 

Agreed. 

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Maupay is garbage, would be absolutely criminal paying the fee for him 

Gabby on an average day was twice the player of Maupay

He ain't garbage.

Gabby on an average day in this Villa side wouldn't be doing as much as Maupay could.

Wes is a £5m player.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Again. Woeful recruitment.

Buying the wrong type of players.

The type of player Maupay is makes so much more sense in a Dean Smith system.

Yeah I hope rectify this and bring Morelos in now.

12 hours ago, Nabby said:

Which is why we looked at him but when they wanted too much money wasn't much we can do , if we had spent 30 mil on him and he had the same amount of goals for us as he has got for Brighton people would be on complaining  he was a poor buy.

We could of had Maupay for cheaper than what we spent on Wesley. Did Maupay go to Brighton in the end for 15 million????

Surely Maupay would of worked out better for us than Wesley.

9 hours ago, Dave-R said:

We could of had Maupay for cheaper than what we spent on Wesley. Did Maupay go to Brighton in the end for 15 million????

Surely Maupay would of worked out better for us than Wesley.

The story is Brentford wanted 25-30 mil for Maupay in the end late in the Window he went for £20 mil 

Would his overall game have helped maybe , but on pure goal scoring he has 3 more goals playing almost 3 months more worth of matches 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

You obviously  have never ever seen play for us:-  Gary Penrice, Tony Cascarino, Guy Whittingham, Ian Ormondroyd, Simon Stainrod, Mark Lillis, Adrian Heath,  Bosko Balaban

All of the above and other striker's was a lot worse than Wesley for us.

It's his first season in English Football at least give him a chance to have another season to see how he get's on.

Henry took a full season before he started firing the goals and became settled at Arsenal. It takes a lot of foreign player's a while to settle in UK lifestyle...  lots of factor's why.

What's your view on Wesley's ceiling? 

13 minutes ago, Nabby said:

The story is Brentford wanted 25-30 mil for Maupay in the end late in the Window he went for £20 mil 

Would his overall game have helped maybe , but on pure goal scoring he has 3 more goals playing almost 3 months more worth of matches 

Same amount of league goals in 2020. Wesley has played about an hour of the year

Brighton won once all year as well

• Like 1

Cant believe some of the comments on here about one of our own ... Wesley is a young rough diamond which huge potential and let’s see how he does after season 2 before completely writing him off..? 

Also the Maupay comparison are futile. I believe if we really wanted Maupay we would have got him as it would had been a relatively easy deal to complete. Or for the money that would have been involved and Dean knowing him as a player and his potential ceiling they decided he was not the right player for us. 

I have full faith in Wesley to come good eventually given time and support and he is by no means the worst striker we have had in the last 10 years. 

• Like 2

I like Wes, i think my history of posting on him on here shows that.  Yes it has been an incredible hard first season for him and he certainly has some critics and some areas to work on but for me there is something there and I'm really excited to see him and Samatta work together on the pitch and they could be a really good foil for each other.

I was critical of Wesley during November and December, very critical. With the benefit of hindsight I was an arse. He has to be allowed to grow into the club and the culture in a 2nd season. It is the clubs fault, and some poor luck with timings of injuries, that Wesley had no other forward to come in and relieve the strain when he was struggling during those dark months. Keinans hamstring injury was very untimely. I do think we’ll see a much more effective Wesley in the seasons ahead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I was critical of Wesley during November and December, very critical. With the benefit of hindsight I was an arse. He has to be allowed to grow into the club and the culture in a 2nd season. It is the clubs fault, and some poor luck with timings of injuries, that Wesley had no other forward to come in and relieve the strain when he was struggling during those dark months. Keinans hamstring injury was very untimely. I do think we’ll see a much more effective Wesley in the seasons ahead.

But he will never be a number 9, it's not his game.

He wants to be a part of the build up play. That's why he is always dropping into the midfield.

4-4-2 might work better for him.

Edited by villalad21

30 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Cant believe some of the comments on here about one of our own ... Wesley is a young rough diamond which huge potential and let’s see how he does after season 2 before completely writing him off..? 

Also the Maupay comparison are futile. I believe if we really wanted Maupay we would have got him as it would had been a relatively easy deal to complete. Or for the money that would have been involved and Dean knowing him as a player and his potential ceiling they decided he was not the right player for us. 

I have full faith in Wesley to come good eventually given time and support and he is by no means the worst striker we have had in the last 10 years. 

I hope you are right. Rough diamond I cannot agree with. First time I watched him against Bournemouth I thought we were bang in trouble.

If you are that awkward, and so lacking in agility and control and movement at 22 there isnt that much of a higher ceiling to get to, for me.

Rudy Gestedeesque. No amount of technical training is going to make him a genuine threat. Balls into his feet, nobody up his backside and laying it off is about his limit.

Too slow on the turn. Too slow on his touch. Not really got any technical ability to play one touch. No genuine pace to lay it off and get in the box. Just sluggish, lumbering and awkward.

I do not see it getting any better.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I hope you are right. Rough diamond I cannot agree with. First time I watched him against Bournemouth I thought we were bang in trouble.

If you are that awkward, and so lacking in agility and control and movement at 22 there isnt that much of a higher ceiling to get to, for me.

Rudy Gestedeesque. No amount of technical training is going to make him a genuine threat. Balls into his feet, nobody up his backside and laying it off is about his limit.

Too slow on the turn. Too slow on his touch. Not really got any technical ability to play one touch. No genuine pace to lay it off and get in the box. Just sluggish, lumbering and awkward.

Fair enough, I think he’s a rough diamond in a new environment and i see him getting a lot better

44 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's constant falling to the floor and crying to the ref is what genuinely pisses me off about him.

For such a tall and powerpuff guy he plays like a fragile little girl

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair enough, I think he’s a rough diamond in a new environment and i see him getting a lot better

I think he's mostly been a lump of coal. Hopefully he'll thrive under the pressure and come out a diamond but my money would be on him not quite catching fire here.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

So you have to like a player who plays for the football club, or else it's a disgrace?

What about Hogan, Mcormack and Gestede? You had the same line for them?

Â