Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its not about the premier league experience being the issue.

its signing the right players.....is the issue......and it has been for too long now.

It's about horses for courses.

When a team is buying a player there should be a profile in place for what is required, Wesley doesn't appear to be the style of player that Smith wanted.  It appears that Smith wanted a lone striker to play  up front and it also appears that Wesley does not fit that profile. Don't buy player just because he's available !

10 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

When a team is buying a player there should be a profile in place for what is required, Wesley doesn't appear to be the style of player that Smith wanted.  It appears that Smith wanted a lone striker to play  up front and it also appears that Wesley does not fit that profile. Don't buy player just because he's available !

We made the decision to release a bunch of players after last season which left us with only 13-14 players in the squad.

We had to buy a ton of players to have a squad. Unfortunately we messed up with almost all of them.

He just doesn't have the explosiveness to succeed in this league. Nevermind that he's a shit footballer, that can change and he is new to the league tbf. But ultimately you won't do well in this league if you don't have explosiveness, urgency OR fight. He has neither. Just awful. 

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He just doesn't have the explosiveness to succeed in this league. Nevermind that he's a shit footballer, that can change and he is new to the league tbf. But ultimately you won't do well in this league if you don't have explosiveness, urgency OR fight. He has neither. Just awful. 

For such a tall guy he should be more dominant in the air.

It's ridiculous how weak he is in that department.

He falls to the floor and cries to the ref after the slightest touch. McGinn and Jack could feed of him if Wesley was a decent target man, but he isn't.

Wesley doesn't really do anything. No idea what his skill set is supposed to be.

Earlier we've heard he really is a second striker/shadow striker... 1 assist so far. Impressive stuff.

Edited by villalad21

He struggled mostly but had some good moment's , was good in his last game as where the whole team and the 3-5-2 might have brought best out of him.

The mistake was not having another exp forward in squad to a) rotate with b) for him to work alongside in training.

In Summer close to 100 mil was spent on 3 tall target men type strikers Jolinton /Haller/Wesley.Wesley came from the weakest league and was the cheapest and 2 less goals than the highest scoring of the 3 Haller and he has been injured since the first of Jan.In that context he has done ok.

10 hours ago, Tayls said:

I stand by my opinion that we have been a lot worse without him. I don’t know the true facts... haven’t been bothered to research it, but I think we look a lot weaker. 

We had games like Watford 3-0, Sheffield United 2-0, Leicester 1-4 and Southampton 1-3 in the weeks before he got the injury. We were also terrible v Norwich on Boxing day but somehow won that. All games really where we had little attacking threat and that was with Grealish playing all those matches.

We had a mini resurgance after his injury although that was more down to the formation change.

Samatta is better overall centre forward at this point in time but we've mostly played tough teams in his few games, Man. City, Leicester twice and Spurs in his six starts so he hasn't had a chance to fill his boots v a Norwich standard team yet like Wesley did.

Interesting what the long term plan is as it was said when he came Ally can play wide in the front 3.

Was also in the paper last week that Davis was going to start the Liverpool game in early November if he hadn't got injured in the Wolves cup game so Wesley would've probably lost his place earlier in the season.

Edited by VillaChris

At the time it was a toss up between Wesley and Maupay right??

Alot of us said Maupay including I as I've always been a fan of him and yes I still say we need a player like him. Between the two players though doesn't Maupay have only a coue goals more, it's not a great deal.

The question I've always asked myself since Wesley transfer is: if wed of had Maupay for 15-20 mill, would we of won some of those games we so stupidly let go because of mistakes, I reckon yes because of Maupays explosiveness. Maupay caused us grief this season, he even riled opposition fans up, he certainly had the flare, attitude and grit we needed, but we chose Wesley. Now I like Wesley, he could be a good premier footballer but has to up his game, only thing that annoys me is for such a big and of his size at first he was bullied to the ground alot, towards his injury he had started to get used to put a few lads down and use his strength more. Wesley hasn't got speed, or didnt, we needed that as well as a tempo, you need your forward to be feeling he's on fire, you certainly need to feel confident that the lad your going to make that final pass to is going to put it away.

Who knows what Wesley will be like if he returns, he maybe a completely different player who takes a few teams by surprise because they expect to see a slow big hold up player, hopefully Wesley had trained for explosive speed and adds it to his game.

Would I still make a play for Morelos from Rangers now that Baston is maybe leaving, yes I certainly would.

Edited by Dave-R

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No

He didn't play a full season but you know this already 

Before the Burnley game he went 12 games in a row without scoring.

Even you have to accept he's been an atrocious signing

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Before the Burnley game he went 12 games in a row without scoring.

Even you have to accept he's been an atrocious signing

that wasnt your initial comment, now changing the argument as usual

It would be interesting to read the scout reports that led us to spend £22-£23m on a player who finished outside the top-10 in the Belgian league scoring chart with only 15 or so goals in 38 games.

He did have 10 or so assist playing in a 2 man attack but we only play with 1 striker so again it would be interesting to see why they thought he would work in that role.

The money we paid just doesn't make sense, way over the top for a player from that league who had proven so little. Still think it was a WP issue.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I agree.

but I still think Dean struggling with midfield has influenced his stance to play one striker as opposed to two....he is trying to load midfield, because individually they are not dominant enough.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

He did have 10 or so assist playing in a 2 man attack but we only play with 1 striker so again it would be interesting to see why they thought he would work in that role.

Again. Woeful recruitment.

Buying the wrong type of players.

The type of player Maupay is makes so much more sense in a Dean Smith system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Again. Woeful recruitment.

Buying the wrong type of players.

The type of player Maupay is makes so much more sense in a Dean Smith system.

Which is why we looked at him but when they wanted too much money wasn't much we can do , if we had spent 30 mil on him and he had the same amount of goals for us as he has got for Brighton people would be on complaining  he was a poor buy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Which is why we looked at him but when they wanted too much money wasn't much we can do , if we had spent 30 mil on him and he had the same amount of goals for us as he has got for Brighton people would be on complaining  he was a poor buy.

Not really.

Maupay is a great link up player, it isn't all about just goals.

Wesley doesn't really offer anything. Still don't know what his actual skill sets are.

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maupay is garbage, would be absolutely criminal paying the fee for him 

Gabby on an average day was twice the player of Maupay

You really think that? And don't think Wes is garbage? Genuine question.

13 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

You really think that? And don't think Wes is garbage? Genuine question.

I dont think Wes is great either but the comparisons all season see to be Wesley is shit and Maupay is some 2nd coming of Marco Van Basten. 

Maupay is crap, watched him a few times and complete meh player. Even some of his own fans think he is shit 

• Like 2

Â