Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

The lad has been through so much hardship and I really want him to succeed at our club. Maybe this is part of the reason why I'm so frustrated when he shows so little on the pitch.

You’d think he’d have a lot of fight in him given his incredible success story and yet he acts like he was always destined to be here and takes it all for granted. Just don’t see any desire in him at all. 

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

You talk about balance but you’re so rose-tinted that you refuse to see what’s in front of you. 

Ive no problem when Wesley comes deep and receives the ball but he needs to make much much more effort going the other way

Kodija ( who is a long way off what is required) showed more effort to get forward in 20 mins than Wesley does in half a dozen games

Clearly, it is a truism that Strikers look better in a better team - just the same as it is a truism to say with a better Striker we would be a better team

I believe Wesley lacks the skills required 

- The power of his shot is poor

- for a big guy he presents no aerial threat in the box

- he lacks the pace and inclination to run in behind

- he is very slow to get in the box

- he cannot beat a man

- he can’t shift the ball to make a chance

- he shows little predatory instinct

I would love to know, Objectively, which of these statements you disagree with

To be fair on the majority of showings I can't disagree with you on those points.

The way you have worded your post is at least not absolute. (Which is a good thing)

I do feel he HAS shown those qualities at times though, and since he has been here too, but perhaps not enough.

I think all the the things you mentioned can be improved upon, and require time and support (Admittedly we can't afford to carry anyone with such a deep necessity for a drastic learning curve in the first team). Brugge fans came on here and mentioned his heading was his weakest area for example, but also said he was deceptively quick, and in some of the highlights he actually does look quick.

I'm also inclined to think some of these things are affected by low confidence, frustration, poor performances of supporting unit, not being acclimatised to the Premier League yet, and even sometimes wonder if instructions from the manager play a part?

Different level or not, a player doesn't just become absolute turd overnight - and yes I know the other argument is (He actually wasn't that good anyway, in a poor league) - Nor do you get scouted by professionals over a period of time at this level of you had zero potential.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Different level or not, a player doesn't just become absolute turd overnight - and yes I know the other argument is (He actually wasn't that good anyway, in a poor league) - Nor do you get scouted by professionals over a period of time at this level of you had zero potential.

Jordan Bowery. Sometimes the scouts just get it horribly, horribly wrong. It happens.

Not to dampen the mood in the thread. I'm happy the big man scored.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

He just doesn't seem like a striker. He's movements and positioning is almost always wrong. He's too deep, too slow and never in the box. 

But it's a shame cause he clearly can finish. Rather ironic really. 

Kodjia for me. It was pleasing to watch a match with a striker actually attacking the box. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

It's a headache I'm glad I don't have.

Both Wes and Kodjia are struggling in league games, I would probably hand them both a half each and roll like that till there's one of them who shows there worth, if not January is only round the corner and would cash in on Kodjia anyway.

Kodija likes to try and spin the last man which may cause defences to sit a little deeper and allow us to dominate the game. Whilst i don’t rate Kodija he does give centre halves something to think about with his movement.  Pushing to start Saturday.  Happy Wesley got a goal though. Will do his confidence good. 

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Is he a back-to-goal kind of striker?

His run and finish for the goal tonight suggests he shouldn't be.

He can't trap the ball, run, shoot, or tie his shoelaces mate.

Plus it was against kids.... :ph34r:

Anyway on a serious note, get;s the ball in an advanced position and does something with it.... not really that complicated.

Happy for him though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Jordan Bowery. Sometimes the scouts just get it horribly, horribly wrong. It happens.

Not to dampen the mood in the thread. I'm happy the big man scored.

I dont think i ever seen Bowery take a shot actually. I think Chesterfield fans were as shocked we signed him

Â