Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Doesn't matter who we have up top because until Smith changes the system  - and attitude of the players -  we're gonna have the same problem whether its Wes, Benteke or any other so called target man. Yes we need someone who can get hold of the ball and stick it in the net with minimal help but so do many other teams and those oven baked players are not cheap!

Most of our midfield seem to be mentally and physically knackered at the moment resulting in poor decisions and misplaced passes which in turn is putting pressure on an already struggling defence. Hopefully a few will be rested for Liverpool but I'm sure we'll get back on track, hopefully this side of Xmas!

Edited by birdman
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He needs to come off the bench a few times and play in cup games to build confidence. Not thrown in the deep end against the whole top 7 in English football pretty much all in a row. We really should have signed another forward, particularly Maupay. Having the two of them compete for the shirt would have been ideal. Maupay having a couple of years experience in English football probably would have grabbed it first.

Maupay could have played up front by himself, or equally one of the wide supporting roles, filled to such little effect by Trezeguet and El Ghazi.  Crazy that they thought Maupay was too much money but splashed out on Wesley instead.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Philosopher said:

The scapegoating of Wesley needs to stop it's unfair on a hardworking and talented young player. 

Yeah......the furthest thing from a talented young player I’ve seen at Villa park

22 hours ago, Philosopher said:

This is total BS. Our main issues are failing to string passes together, simply defensive errors, and a lack of top level experience. His first touch for his one chance yesterday was good, he played some nice passes and held the ball up 2 or 3 times, that's not a terrible footballer. He did okay in the circumstances yesterday. He is not the guy that will produce a moment of brilliance to change a game, but he is a team player, and hard worker.

He absolutely needs to be that sort of guy!!!

If you’re giving him credit for one good touch (for the chance he blasted wide) and for trapping the ball “2 or 3 times” you’ve got a very very low bar 

We are struggling enough without carrying a passenger in one of the most crucial positions on the pitch

He's a terrible player - he tries hard enough, I’ll give you that, but as he can’t head it, can’t shoot, can’t beat a man, has no trick, no pace and no instinct it’s all in vain

Thankfully he wont be our first choice to lead the line after the window

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Risso said:

Maupay could have played up front by himself, or equally one of the wide supporting roles, filled to such little effect by Trezeguet and El Ghazi.  Crazy that they thought Maupay was too much money but splashed out on Wesley instead.

I'm thinking they might have actually wanted both, not one or the other... (Hence too expensive and maybe thought we could tick along with the other type of striker and get enough goals from other areas?)

Going by reports we were in for a couple of other forwards/wingers. I'm inclined to think those were better value "Maupay types'

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

27 minutes ago, meregreen said:

When were outbid by **** Brighton, we really are in trouble.

I hear they were able to offer higher wages. Considering it’s their third year in the Premier league and they didn’t have to spend £140 million in one summer they could afford to offer more. 

It’s not transfer fees that get clubs in a mess. It’s over inflated wage bills.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hear they were able to offer higher wages. Considering it’s their third year in the Premier league and they didn’t have to spend £140 million in one summer they could afford to offer more. 

It’s not transfer fees that get clubs in a mess. It’s over inflated wage bills.

Not sure that's how it works. Wouldn't that imply that Brentford had already accepted our transfer offer, and Maupay refused to move here due to the wage offer being too low, which forced Brentford to accept Brighton's offer instead. If this is how it works then Maupay not going to us was not due to Brighton offering a larger contract, but us failing to offer a large enough contract for him regardless of Brighton's offer which seems a bit ridiculous to me considering this is a championship player moving to a newly promoted club who are willing to financially invest. How much could he have possibly asked for in wages that made Smith and Co look elsewhere? Not to mention the fact he may have cost a couple of million pounds lower than Wesley and that extra money surely could've been put to his hypothetical wage demands instead.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I think Smith's words were carefully chosen on Maupay.

It was a public statement meant to show even though we had spent so much in total we aren't spending unless we think the player is worth it.

Obviously though, the decision to go with Wes has backfired horribly and will cost us our Premier League spot unless he's replaced in the starting XI.

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Not sure that's how it works. Wouldn't that imply that Brentford had already accepted our transfer offer, and Maupay refused to move here due to the wage offer being too low, which forced Brentford to accept Brighton's offer instead. If this is how it works then Maupay not going to us was not due to Brighton offering a larger contract, but us failing to offer a large enough contract for him regardless of Brighton's offer which seems a bit ridiculous to me considering this is a championship player moving to a newly promoted club who are willing to financially invest. How much could he have possibly asked for in wages that made Smith and Co look elsewhere? Not to mention the fact he may have cost a couple of million pounds lower than Wesley and that extra money surely could've been put to his hypothetical wage demands instead.

Not necessarily. Hadn’t Spurs and Grealish agreed terms without a transfer fee being agreed? He could have discussed terms with both clubs but only Brighton offered what he wanted hence agreed a fee with Brentford. 

I hear his wage demands would have made him the highest paid player at the club and in our history. Hey it’s not my money and I wish the club signed him. But I can understand why they didn’t.. If Brighton go down he will be the first player they will have to sell.

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not necessarily. Hadn’t Spurs and Grealish agreed terms without a transfer fee being agreed? He could have discussed terms with both clubs but only Brighton offered what he wanted hence agreed a fee with Brentford. 

I hear his wage demands would have made him the highest paid player at the club and in our history. Hey it’s not my money and I wish the club signed him. But I can understand why they didn’t.. If Brighton go down he will be the first player they will have to sell.

I haven't heard that about Maupay's wages. Where was that?

Be mad if he came in on anything more than £75k a week coming from the Championship. 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think you need a reality check. 

Actually I think some of the posters on here lack ambition for this club. If you look around at the premiership clubs you will see that clubs with much smaller resources than Villa are being more successful. Please don't accept failure as being the 'norm' it isn't and never should be.

UTV.

G.T.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Actually I think some of the posters on here lack ambition for this club. If you look around at the premiership clubs you will see that clubs with much smaller resources than Villa are being more successful. Please don't accept failure as being the 'norm' it isn't and never should be.

UTV.

G.T.

I think you can accuse the Villa fan base for a lot of things, but showing lack of ambition has never been one of them. 

You are comparing investment from a team that's established in the PL over seasons when the TV money increased and increased, while we were in the dump.

You are comparing a club that had to spend £ 140 million on a lot of players to be able to field a squad (was it 9 players?) to one that's already set up well.

You are comparing a team that was close to bankrupsy 12 months ago at that point in time to one that was rolling in it. 

In danger of doing a MLK here, but...

You are talking bollocks. 

We most likely made a bid that we found reasonable risk/reward. It's a part of our strategy now. We won't get them all right. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Graham t said:

UTV.

G.T.

Last I saw we were 17th with half a season to play. I agree we shouldn’t accept failure. It’s a good job we haven’t failed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think you can accuse the Villa fan base for a lot of things, but showing lack of ambition has never been one of them. 

You are comparing investment from a team that's established in the PL over seasons when the TV money increased and increased, while we were in the dump.

You are comparing a club that had to spend £ 140 million on a lot of players to be able to field a squad (was it 9 players?) to one that's already set up well.

You are comparing a team that was close to bankrupsy 12 months ago at that point in time to one that was rolling in it. 

In danger of doing a MLK here, but...

You are talking bollocks. 

We most likely made a bid that we found reasonable risk/reward. It's a part of our strategy now. We won't get them all right. 

Okay you disagree with my post, no problem at all. Football is all about 'opinions ', you have yours ( which I respect ) I have mine. Don't debase it with foul language.......

• Like 3

Interesting interview with the Sun. He's been through a lot so he's got the will to succeed and to be honest, I back him. He'll get there eventually. We just need to bring in someone in January to ease his path. Can't be starting every game right now.

• Like 2

Â