Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

His life is like that film "Goal!" or something. Incredible.

Two kids at 15 always messes with my head, that's wild.

It really is something out of a movie. The crazy backstory of the sullen protagonist and how he got this way. Hard to believe he's been through all that and he just recently turned 23.

Just read an interesting article comparing Wesley’s goal scoring stats vs Carew, Angel, Benteke and Savo after 16 games. He’s scored one less than Angel, Savo and Benteke, and one more than Carew. 

Purely based on stats, he’s on par with some august company.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Just read an interesting article comparing Wesley’s goal scoring stats vs Carew, Angel, Benteke and Savo after 16 games. He’s scored one less than Angel, Savo and Benteke, and one more than Carew. 

These players all showed potential at Villa but never realised their talents. Did any of them ever get 20 goals in the premiership? I believe that is the 'yardstick ' of a successful striker....

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Yeh, but they could all control the football. 

24 minutes ago, Graham t said:

These players all showed potential at Villa but never realised their talents. Did any of them ever get 20 goals in the premiership? I believe that is the 'yardstick ' of a successful striker....

So Dwight Yorke, Dean Saunders or Dalian Atkinson were not successful for you either then? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Hope smith starts him tonight, should be able to bully the Liverpool youngsters and grab a goal hopefully which will boost his confidence.

Agreed. This should be a perfect game for him to get some confidence and hopefully score a goal or at least be more involved.

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Yet he now has a worse minute per goal ratio than the likes of Rudy Gestede right now. I keep telling yall, his goal per game ratio is very misleading due to how many full games he actually plays for us.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

But you will probably find that the other players had,say a total of 35 shots at goal in that time to score those goals.How many shots has Wesley had, on or off target ? In other words these guys had shots at goal and some went in.Wesley dosent have a shot at goal, which makes it extremly difficult to score one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

But you will probably find that the other players had,say a total of 35 shots at goal in that time to score those goals.How many shots has Wesley had, on or off target ? In other words these guys had shots at goal and some went in.Wesley dosent have a shot at goal, which makes it extremly difficult to score one.

You think them having shots at goal might have had anything to do with with getting the ball played to them in forward areas and not defending or playing as a CM basically so often? Or that barring Benteke those forward were basically in established Premier League teams with good players around them and systems which might have helped them? Carew and Gabby complemented each other very well. Against Sheffield United he got played in up front and Voila, he had a shot at goal! 😀

Anyway, dead horse and all that, promised I wouldn't comment on anything in this thread devoid of objectivity or balance anymore as it is pointless.

As he can't shoot, pass, control, run or anything anyway...

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 hours ago, Graham t said:

I think you’d struggle to argue Benteke didn’t realise his talents at Villa considering...well his entire career since.

Off the top of my head I also remember very few players getting more than 20 league goals in a season. Maybe 3/4 each year max.

For me scoring 20 league goals over a few seasons is the sign of a very good striker. There’s plenty of great players who have never achieved this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

The lad has been through so much hardship and I really want him to succeed at our club. Maybe this is part of the reason why I'm so frustrated when he shows so little on the pitch.

Agreed. To get where he is from where he has come from shows real character. 

Fair play to him. 

19 minutes ago, Graham t said:

These weren't the players that were mentioned in the posting I responded to .....

atb

GT

But they never got 20 Premier League goals either. Your successful striker criteria

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You think them having shots at goal might have had anything to do with with getting the ball played to them in forward areas and not defending or playing as a CM basically so often? Or that barring Benteke those forward were basically in established Premier League teams with good players around them and systems which might have helped them? Carew and Gabby complemented each other very well. Against Sheffield United he got played in up front and Voila, he had a shot at goal! 😀

Anyway, dead horse and all that, promised I wouldn't comment on anything in this thread devoid of objectivity or balance anymore as it is pointless.

As he can't shoot, pass, control, run or anything anyway...

You talk about balance but you’re so rose-tinted that you refuse to see what’s in front of you. 

Ive no problem when Wesley comes deep and receives the ball but he needs to make much much more effort going the other way

Kodija ( who is a long way off what is required) showed more effort to get forward in 20 mins than Wesley does in half a dozen games

Clearly, it is a truism that Strikers look better in a better team - just the same as it is a truism to say with a better Striker we would be a better team

I believe Wesley lacks the skills required 

- The power of his shot is poor

- for a big guy he presents no aerial threat in the box

- he lacks the pace and inclination to run in behind

- he is very slow to get in the box

- he cannot beat a man

- he can’t shift the ball to make a chance

- he shows little predatory instinct

I would love to know, Objectively, which of these statements you disagree with

Edited by VillaCas
  • Thanks 1

Â