brighton - maupay

Norwich - pukki

Watford - welbeck

everton - calvert - lewin

Wolves - jimenez

Newcastle - joelinton

Southampton - ings and redmond

sheff utd - robinson and mcburnie

put us and Wesley in amongst that lot...not bad not good...pukki has started surprisingly well but other than him jimenez is the only likely double figures striker on that list, jimenez did it last season, the only other player on that list to have done it before in the PL is danny ings 

there's not a great deal of certain quality and goals in the bottom half, its certainly not a villa are doomed because we don't have a striker and everyone else does (only wolves, Norwich and burnley in the bottom half have outscored us)

i'd have any of those over wesley right now...including ayew

but you're right...there isn't a huge amount of quality in that list. and also gives me confidence that by jan, whilst we may be in the bottom 3, we wont be so far adrift that we wont catch 17th up once we get in a decent striker

Edited by tomav84

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is actually why I want Davis to start. Yes, your striker ultimately needs to put the ball in the net but strikers these days are often used as a foil for wide players and midfielders to get goals.

Davis doesn’t score enough, agreed. But he’s a better footballer than Wesley and I think we’d be a better team with him in there.

Its up to Smith what he does next, but I’m of the opinion that if he keeps picking Wesley, we’ll continue to struggle and it might cost him his job. We’re playing well, but we need someone better up top. Someone who can actually control the ball and relieve pressure. We’ve led in so many games this season and thrown it away, one of the main reasons for this is when the ball goes forward, it keeps coming back. 

Davis will make us a better team. Give him a go.

Completely agree, the problem is stemming from our inability to hold the ball up. Wesley won 1 out of 7 aerial duels on Saturday, if he could hold onto it more often then it relieves the pressure on the defense and allows us to keep possession and play our own game.

Goal scoring shouldn't come into it as both Wesley and Davis are hardly prolific, and for the most part this season goals haven't been our problem. If we can retain possession up front with an effective out ball it gives us options in Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi and Trezeguet to make the most of it.

For me Davis is worth a shot on Saturday to see how the team looks with him in it and to see if he can retain the ball more for us. The goals will come for him at some stage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Mings has said a few times that he is a nightmare to train against. Wonder why that’s not being replicated in games. 

I’m willing to be patient with him, but share concerns he isn’t doing enough consistently yet. 

Probably referencing the amount of times training has to cease because Wes is "out cold" on the pitch.

Aerial Dual.

"Wes is out cold again"

Shoulder to shoulder

"Wes is out cold again"

It starts to drizzle.

"Wes is out cold again."

Two goals in first seven games isn't bad going, especially in a team in the relegation zone that's only won one game. If he carries on his current strike rate by the end of the season he will have reached double figures, and when you consider that once he's settled in and has developed more of an understanding with his teammates his goal ratio should improve, as should his ability to create chances for others. I like Davis but there's no way that Smith is going to drop Wesley for him at the moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, useless said:

Two goals in first seven games isn't bad going, especially in a team in the relegation zone that's only won one game. If he carries on his current strike rate by the end of the season he will have reached double figures, and when you consider that once he's settled in and has developed more of an understanding with his teammates his goal ratio should improve, as should his ability to create chances for others. I like Davis but there's no way that Smith is going to drop Wesley for him at the moment.

agree that I like davis but I think that based on Wesley's no entity of a performance on Saturday + davis best ever career performance coming vs Norwich id be tempted to whisper something about potentially starting in his ear today in training and seeing how he reacts

I trust smith to make the right decision over who starts but Wesley certainly shouldn't have lasted as long as he did on Saturday, and that's before the injury

19 hours ago, TRO said:

If you think goal scoring is our main problem?

Not quite. Our biggest problem is we bottle it after 70 minutes. But the old adage that "you win by scoring more than the other team" is true here.

19 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You say that now. We are just a CB or CM injury away from those two becoming essential. 

Not at all. At CB we have Mings, Engels, Konsa, Hause, Chester. In CM we have Jack, Marvelous, McGinn, Hourihane, Lanisbury, Douglas.

9 minutes ago, Enda said:

Not at all. At CB we have Mings, Engels, Konsa, Hause, Chester. In CM we have Jack, Marvelous, McGinn, Hourihane, Lanisbury, Douglas.

I don't understand your point. We also have Tshibola. The thing is that Konsa and Luiz are the only options of sufficient quality in their positions. 

Though Konsa is uncertain. Not sure he is a whole lot better than Chester. But he's likely to improve at least. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 hours ago, useless said:

give them a half each and see who grabs the opportunity.

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't understand your point. We also have Tshibola. The thing is that Konsa and Luiz are the only options of sufficient quality in their positions. 

Though Konsa is uncertain. Not sure he is a whole lot better than Chester. But he's likely to improve at least. 

Oh, you're going to feel foolish!

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Given how Wesley played against Everton (better than I've ever seen Davis or Kodjia play), I think we just have to hold out hope that he will start doing that more often than not.

We might sign a new striker in January, but really we need Wesley to start delivering more consistently before then.

What's really disappointing is to see people already writing Wesley off. Don't be that radio phone-in moron. Engage brain.

Not writing Wesley off.

just saying that he spends too much time not moaning, and not trying at all.

Making him ‘undroppable’ is promoting this attitude.  His total contribution against burnley was to slow down our attacks by faking injury. Nothing positive at all.

He needs to know he needs to work hard, we know he has it in him because he’s done it against Everton.  
He’s not showing any desire, just sulks and fakes injury.  It’s tiresome watching.

Davis needs to start, even if it’s just a boot up the arse for Wes.

Edited by Thug
Spelling
  • Like 1

I think that some of these comments towards Wesley are unfair, 2 goals in 6 Premier League appearances isn’t a bad return in my opinion. He’s scored against Everton and Arsenal, 2 really good sides, he’s new to the league, he will improve over time. He is also young, it would be foolish to write him off already after so few matches. We paid a lot of money for him, a reported £22m but I think he has been brought in as part of the long term project so we might not expect instant success

• Like 3

Davis looks better and better while sitting on the bench. Same happens for all our bench players (see: Hourihane). 

I see little sense in investing 7 games in Wes to get him used to the Premier league...... 

.... to start all over again with the inexperienced and unproven Davis. 

Wes is the first name on the starting line up against Norwich for mine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Davis looks better and better while sitting on the bench. Same happens for all our bench players (see: Hourihane). 

I see little sense in investing 7 games in Wes to get him used to the Premier league...... 

.... to start all over again with the inexperienced and unproven Davis. 

Wes is the first name on the starting line up against Norwich for mine. 

Wesley looks worse and worse while standing on the pitch.

First name in the starting line up? Megalolz.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wesley looks worse and worse while standing on the pitch.

First name in the starting line up? Megalolz.

2 goals in 7 games in the PL is better than a combined 0 goals from Davis and Kodjia.

It's a no brainer.

21 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

2 goals in 7 games in the PL is better than a combined 0 goals from Davis and Kodjia.

It's a no brainer.

are you really including kodjia on the basis that he's been injured all season? 0 goals from 0 minutes this season, but we know he can score goals. he deserves a chance

Â