Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

On 02/10/2019 at 19:42, mottaloo said:

Probably been said before but i get the feeling that dropping wesley in favour of Davies or whoever won't give him the kick up the bum intended, making him more determined to knuckle down....but more likely he'll just sulk on the bench.

I could be wrong. 

If that means that Davis impressed then be it. Nothing is better than seeing our academy players succeeding. We need one of the three to step up. Two still didn't have the chance. We've seen from Davis and Kodjia (although in a different level) that they could be useful a way or another.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Risso said:

To be honest, we should never have been left in the position where this guy is our main/only option up front.  Absolute madness from the recruitment team.

they tried! they said numerous times they wanted another striker just couldnt get one over the line

28 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

they tried! they said numerous times they wanted another striker just couldnt get one over the line

They didn't try hard enough then.  Whatever the reason, it was a clear and obvious failure, and one that is now really hurting us.  If we go down because of it, cries of "we tried to sign one!" are going to sound a bit hollow.  More defenders and midfielders than you can shake a stick at, but a completely unproven lump as your main goal hope for the season.  As I said before, utter madness.

He hasn't been good enough and I think everyone actually agrees on that(!)

However he has shown good all round play vs Everton and he has still scored 2 goals in 7 games.

It's worth pointing out that Benteke scored 2 in is first 6 appearances (the 1st as a sub and the 6th, as to not provide deceptive stats), was still only 2 goals in 10 (plus 2 assists, one each in his 7th and 8th appearances) and 3 in 13 before having a stormer against Liverpool for 5 (3) in 14, then remained 5 (3) in 17 while we got dicked a cumulative 15-0 by Chelsea, Spurs and Wigan(!), after which he really kicked on and ended the season 19 (4) in 34 (2 sub) appearances.

So we just have to hope...

Edited by fightoffyour

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I don’t see it so much as him having a lot to learn.

First off, he has a lot to ”unlearn”, in particular his tendency to fall over at the slightest provocation. It looks like this is a highly developed bad habit.

So it’s not like he’s a young kid who is a bit uncertain and needs help. He needs to have his bad habits trained out of him.

22 isn't that 'young' for a footballer as such and he does have over 140 professional games under his belt. He certainly needs to adapt better, improve his physical conditioning immensely, be more alert in the box and as you say, unlearn several bad habits.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

40 minutes ago, Risso said:

They didn't try hard enough then.  Whatever the reason, it was a clear and obvious failure, and one that is now really hurting us.  If we go down because of it, cries of "we tried to sign one!" are going to sound a bit hollow.  More defenders and midfielders than you can shake a stick at, but a completely unproven lump as your main goal hope for the season.  As I said before, utter madness.

yeah cause buying players is as easy as football manager isn't it....do you remember how thread bare our squad was once the loans returned to their parent clubs? our only CB was an injured chester! to say they didnt try hard enough and to call it a failure for not quite getting that one extra player we needed is very, very harsh on the recruitment team who, in my opinion did a cracking job over the summer.

what do you class as proven out of interest? wesley played regularly in the champions league. do you mean proven in the premiership? for the money we paid for wesley we probably wouldn't even get danny ings or shane long.

edit: southampton paid 20m for ings - so i retract that comment...but goes to show what 20m buys you in this country

Edited by tomav84

Some of you need to cut the kid some slack. 

I'm not sure what people expected of him - he's still learning. We paid for potential - not the finished article. Strikers blow hot and cold sometimes - the most important thing for him is to learn his trade quickly. 

Got 2 in 7 so far, and will only get better. We'll get better as the season goes on too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Some of you need to cut the kid some slack. 

I'm not sure what people expected of him - he's still learning. We paid for potential - not the finished article. Strikers blow hot and cold sometimes - the most important thing for him is to learn his trade quickly. 

Got 2 in 7 so far, and will only get better. We'll get better as the season goes on too. 

Nearly 100 senior appearances...champions league experience...22 years old. he's not a kid. if we were paying for 'potential' he wouldnt have been our first purchase of the summer. it was clear that, whilst we were looking for more striker options, he was our first choice. so i'm sorry, i expected more

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Nearly 100 senior appearances...champions league experience...22 years old. he's not a kid. if we were paying for 'potential' he wouldnt have been our first purchase of the summer. it was clear that, whilst we were looking for more striker options, he was our first choice. so i'm sorry, i expected more

Yeah but he didn't play football seriously until 16. This is like saying a 6 year old is a finished product. Give him 3 years and he will still be improving. 

• Like 3

He's shown enough to have more faith in him despite a questionable performance against two tough CB ( as Smith stated) 

If Smith and the team had the confidence to spend £22m, then they have to give him more time to show his worth and they will.

It's vital we all curb our disappointmentsl and show more faith in him, if the crowd start moaning then it won't help anyone , least of all Aston Villa .

We should change 'Prepared' to ' Patience'

• Like 1

The encouraging thing is that he recognizes it was a bad performance against Burnley according to Dean and has worked hard on the training pitch this week. We all know there's room for improvement. If he could consistently play like how he did against Everton, then we're flying. It's up to him to get to that level though.

2 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Hope he scores tomorrow so some can get off his back, he’s easily our best striker we currently have

34 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yes he needs to improve, we all know that. But I’d still say that he’s got more goals than Davis would have got

If he scores, but spends the the whole 90 minutes play acting then no, I wont't get off his back.

If he doesn't score, but puts in a performance - then I'll be the first to say well done.

Every minute that he's sitting on the floor crying like a little bitch for being touched is a minute that we're down to 10 men. 

That is my biggest gripe with him.  Sort that out first and foremost, and most on here will be more forgiving of his other short-comings.

4 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Hope he scores tomorrow so some can get off his back, he’s easily our best striker we currently have

That will certainly shut a few people up.

Bunch of hysterics :D 

Bildresultat för steve bruce gif

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

Frankly am embarrassed by some of the drivel in this thread.

Think the highlight for me is someone arguing that a 22-year-old who has only previously played in the Slovak and Belgian leagues should be seen as an experienced footballer.

Also people saying that our recruitment team dropped the ball. Who exactly do you suggest they could have signed for similar money? Strikers are expensive, and £20m got you **** all in the last window.

• Neil Maupay has the same 2 in 7 scoring record at Brighton as Wesley.
  • Danny Ings is similar price and also has 2 in 7 at Southampton.
  • Only decent new signing up front has been Sebastien Haller at West Ham, and he cost £45m.
  • Nicolas Pepé cost £72m (!!!!) and has one drilled-down-the-middle penalty to his name so far.

Just get real you deluded muppets. Wesley was never going to be the finished article, and we were never going to rebuild our entire squad and also sign two decent striking options ready to hit the ground running.

I hope he scores a couple tomorrow so you can all find something else to whinge about.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Frankly am embarrassed by some of the drivel in this thread.

Think the highlight for me is someone arguing that a 22-year-old who has only previously played in the Slovak and Belgian leagues should be seen as an experienced footballer.

Also people saying that our recruitment team dropped the ball. Who exactly do you suggest they could have signed for similar money? Strikers are expensive, and £20m got you **** all in the last window.

• Neil Maupay has the same 2 in 7 scoring record at Brighton as Wesley.
  • Danny Ings is similar price and also has 2 in 7 at Southampton.
  • Only decent new signing up front has been Sebastien Haller at West Ham, and he cost £45m.

Just get real you deluded muppets. Wesley was never going to be the finished article, and we were never going to have the money to rebuild our entire squad and also sign two decent striking options.

I hope he scores a couple tomorrow so you can all find something else to whinge about.

I agree it’s crazy to write him off so soon but I do think if he is struggling we should give Davis a chance if he’s ready.

It’s a tough role as a lone striker and he has played a lot of minutes. Coming on after 60 minutes or so against a tiring defence might even help him impact the game and build some confidence.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Crazy to right him off so soon but I do think if he is struggling we should give Davis a chance if he’s ready.

It’s a tough role as a lone striker and he has played a lot of minutes. Coming on after 60 minutes or so against a tiring defence might even help him impact the game and build some confidence.

Later in the season, maybe. At this stage in the season, his match fitness should actually be improving week on week. (And we have an international break coming up for him to recharge his batteries.)

I like Davis, but he hasn't done enough to justify a starting place yet.

Â