Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Later in the season, maybe. At this stage in the season, his match fitness should actually be improving week on week. (And we have an international break coming up for him to recharge his batteries.)

I like Davis, but he hasn't done enough to justify a starting place yet.

I dunno mate he looked worryingly off the pace last week and almost like he should be taken out the firing line.  Hopefully just one of those days. I was never a fan of Davis but he looked really sharp in the cup games and also against Palace when he came on. 

Smiths comments about him being ready make me think he could play a role tomorrow.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Frankly am embarrassed by some of the drivel in this thread.

Think the highlight for me is someone arguing that a 22-year-old who has only previously played in the Slovak and Belgian leagues should be seen as an experienced footballer.

Also people saying that our recruitment team dropped the ball. Who exactly do you suggest they could have signed for similar money? Strikers are expensive, and £20m got you **** all in the last window.

• Neil Maupay has the same 2 in 7 scoring record at Brighton as Wesley.
  • Danny Ings is similar price and also has 2 in 7 at Southampton.
  • Only decent new signing up front has been Sebastien Haller at West Ham, and he cost £45m.
  • Nicolas Pepé cost £72m (!!!!) and has one drilled-down-the-middle penalty to his name so far.

Just get real you deluded muppets. Wesley was never going to be the finished article, and we were never going to rebuild our entire squad and also sign two decent striking options ready to hit the ground running.

I hope he scores a couple tomorrow so you can all find something else to whinge about.

It’s really very disappointing to see intemperate language like this. It is totally unnecessary in this discussion which, after all, is between a few football fans who all support the same team and are worrying about whether our main striker is up to the mark.

Let’s hope the rest is the discussion can avoid such foolishly angry outbursts.

And, yes, let’s hope Wesley can stay on his feet, stop feigning injuries, and score a couple of goals tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It’s really very disappointing to see intemperate language like this. It is totally unnecessary in this discussion which, after all, is between a few football fans who all support the same team and are worrying about whether our main striker is up to the mark.

Let’s hope the rest is the discussion can avoid such foolishly angry outbursts.

And, yes, let’s hope Wesley can stay on his feet, stop feigning injuries, and score a couple of goals tomorrow.

Come on, this thread is page after page of the same intemperate language being directed at one of our players. Fed up with it.

Just a sample from the last few pages:

• “a completely unproven lump … utter madness”
  • “sitting on the floor crying like a little bitch”
  • “more likely he'll just sulk on the bench”
  • “The only thing he's "trying" to do is win a freekick - and he's pretty crap at it.”
  • “I have to say a concrete traffic bollard has more movement than Wes”
  • “he has been absolutely dogshit so far”

The abuse he's getting is totally out of order, and risks destroying any chance he ever had of succeeding here if he starts to feel like he isn't wanted.

We have loads of new signings who have been given loads of time to find their feet, who can be rotated in and out of the squad depending on form. But Wesley is exposed every week, usually for 90 minutes.

I am embarrassed that people are turning on him after 7 matches - including one match when he was arguably MOTM. Pathetic. Deserves to be called out.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Come on, this thread is page after page of the same intemperate language being directed at one of our players. Fed up with it.

Just a sample from the last few pages:

• “a completely unproven lump … utter madness”
  • “sitting on the floor crying like a little bitch”
  • “more likely he'll just sulk on the bench”
  • “The only thing he's "trying" to do is win a freekick - and he's pretty crap at it.”
  • “I have to say a concrete traffic bollard has more movement than Wes”
  • “he has been absolutely dogshit so far”

The abuse he's getting is totally out of order, and risks destroying any chance he ever had of succeeding here if he starts to feel like he isn't wanted.

We have loads of new signings who have been given loads of time to find their feet, who can be rotated in and out of the squad depending on form. But Wesley is exposed every week, usually for 90 minutes.

I am embarrassed that people are turning on him after 7 matches - including one match when he was arguably MOTM. Pathetic. Deserves to be called out.

Abuse? Starts to feel he isn't wanted?

Is he on a fan discussion board thumbing through posts? I would advise against that for any player.

He's been really really poor. If he bangs a hat-trick tomorrow that won't mean he's played well in the last seven.

He should be giving Smith something back. I expect a performance with effort at least.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Abuse? Starts to feel he isn't wanted?

Is he on a fan discussion board thumbing through posts? I would advise against that for any player.

He's been really really poor. If he bangs a hat-trick tomorrow that won't mean he's played well in the last seven.

He should be giving Smith something back. I expect a performance with effort at least.

You'd be surprised. Players are acutely aware of what their fans think of them. The sad truth about the social media age is that players do Google stuff like this. When I said "the abuse he's getting", I meant in general, not just on VillaTalk.

I think he's become a whipping boy because our fans had unrealistic expectations of what this season would look like, and how long it would take to integrate so many new signings. He's done no worse than Jota (an experienced pro), for example - but the price tag, and the fact he can't be rotated, are held against him.

I completely agree with all the stuff about him going down too easily, and losing his head too easily. He has a lot of areas that need improving. Nobody's denying that. But it's this weird entitlement that fans have where they expect a young, £20m striker (cheap in today's market) to hit the ground running in a newly promoted team in the first 7 games.

"Really really poor" - disagree. Two goals in 7 games isn't bad for a striker at this end of the table. Not great, but not far off what you'd expect given the investment.

If he bangs a hat-trick tomorrow, are you seriously still going to hold those first 7 games against him?

Edited by KentVillan

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

You'd be surprised. Players are acutely aware of what their fans think of them. The sad truth about the social media age is that players do Google stuff like this. When I said "the abuse he's getting", I meant in general, not just on VillaTalk.

I think he's become a whipping boy because our fans had unrealistic expectations of what this season would look like, and how long it would take to integrate so many new signings. He's done no worse than Jota (an experienced pro), for example - but the price tag, and the fact he can't be rotated, are held against him.

I completely agree with all the stuff about him going down too easily, and losing his head too easily. He has a lot of areas that need improving. Nobody's denying that. But it's this weird entitlement that fans have where they expect a young, £20m striker (cheap in today's market) to hit the ground running in a newly promoted team in the first 7 games.

"Really really poor" - disagree. Two goals in 7 games isn't bad for a striker at this end of the table. Not great, but not far off what you'd expect given the investment.

If he bangs a hat-trick tomorrow, are you seriously still going to hold those first 7 games against him?

Taylor is my go to because he's crap. Hourihane following closely because of his disappearing act. Wes will need a whole season of tripe before he gets into their league.

Christ no, I'll be over the moon. I'm just saying I think he's been poor, goals today won't retrospectively improve previous performances. Don't care much about 2 in 7 or maybe 5 in 7 tbh, he's clearly not a poacher who's going to have quiet seasons but still pick up 15+ goals. If he had 0 goals but had played well, I think we'd have picked up more points already.

He looks self-conscious I think. Unsure of himself. Needs to shake it. Reports from Brugge fans that he was "invincible" as a target man, not seen that yet. PL is 100% a step up but for the size of him, he has to do better holding the ball when it comes to him. He won nothing v Burnley whether a long ball or a ball passed into his feet, every ball was lost, hardly battled for. Keinan wouldn't have lost every ball and Wes has to do better. I'm hoping from Smith's comments he's fired up for Norwich and their heavily injured team.

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some words will be eaten tonight 

Here here @Zatman

I said on here  weeks ago in this thread it’s clearly obvious to see that he’s a good player even if things doesn’t happen for him in games  just people give him chance. Needed time to settle! you’re absolutely correct Zatman. 

humble pie eaten on here, twitter and majority on those awful Facebook groups. 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

Â