Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

4 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

Agree about switching out Wes, although aganst one of the weakest defences in the league maybe this could be last chance saloon to play and get his confidence up. 

Last chance saloon? Are you serious? 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

My issue with him is not his finishing but his lack of shots which is also dowm to service. 

He is averaging just over 1.5shots per game. McGinn for example is averaging 3

Actually the McGinn stat gives a clue to Wesley's problem. Our midfielders are shooting on sight when they're anywhere near the box in front of goal. He only gets service from the wings.

Is that down to:

• Wesley not making the right runs?
  • Midfielders not trust Wesley to finish?
  • Midfielders wanting a Hollywood goal on MOTD?
  • Dean Smith telling midfielders to shoot when anything opens up for them?

I suspect it's a mix of all of these. Will be interesting to see how things progress over the season. There have definitely been a couple of times where Wesley should have been played through and wasn't. On the other hand, McGinn's long shooting has been superb, so perhaps he deserves to keep taking pot shots.

56 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Actually the McGinn stat gives a clue to Wesley's problem. Our midfielders are shooting on sight when they're anywhere near the box in front of goal. He only gets service from the wings.

Is that down to:

I suspect it's a mix of all of these. Will be interesting to see how things progress over the season. There have definitely been a couple of times where Wesley should have been played through and wasn't. On the other hand, McGinn's long shooting has been superb, so perhaps he deserves to keep taking pot shots.

It's a combination of things as you have stated. I haven't lost faith in Wesley at all, although have found his petulance a bit annoying. This may be because of frustration and he definitely needs more time to gel with his team mates. Dean Smith needs find a way to bring him into play a bit more as he always seems so isolated. It's not all on Wesley though, others need to learn and adjust play also! 

• Like 2

I think Terry needs to get hold of him for some one to one work.

He knows first-hand what strikers do that are tough to defend against. Perhaps more within Wes' grasp for now...Terry also knows what's a real pain to play against.

He just has to do more.

Good to hear from the boss he's aware that performance wasn't acceptable.

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Is that down to:

Might just be that they know how good Wesley is at shooting. 

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

My issue with him is not his finishing but his lack of shots which is also dowm to service. 

He is averaging just over 1.5shots per game. McGinn for example is averaging 3

Part of it is service but a much larger part is movement. This is by and large the same team that was supplying Tammy last year. Different league obviously but the difference between the movement and general strikers instinct between Tammy and Wesley is pretty plain to see. 

My worry is that rather than trying to hold up the ball and bring his teammates into play by keeping the ball and out muscle his opponents he tries to get a free kick by falling to the ground.

Not only is that a bit weak sauce it's also a terrible idea since we do f all from set pieces as a rule.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sne said:

My worry is that rather than trying to hold up the ball and bring his teammates into play by keeping the ball and out muscle his opponents he tries to get a free kick by falling to the ground.

Not only is that a bit weak sauce it's also a terrible idea since we do f all from set pieces as a rule.

Also he will just get a reputation with refs for falling over too easily. 

Not quite sure how he’s got to the level he has with this approach to the game but he needs to learn quickly it won’t wash in the premier league.

• Like 3

Looking at some stats for Brugge last season and it seems they played 352 an awful lot, with a player called Schrijvers often playing as Wesley's strike partner. Here's a list of their results, and if you click on the scoreline it takes you to a page that shows the formation that they played in that match.

Been watching Villa since the late 1960's.....I have to say a concrete traffic bollard has more movement than Wes...

I am not convinced about him at all, and as for his "dying swan" act on Saturday, I hate to see any player doing that but even worse a Villa player.

Still prepared to give him time but he does seem to be slow (in many ways) to adapt to life in the premier league.

Perhaps others see it differently?

Regards to all

Del

The thing that gives me hope when I read after seven games that he isn’t good enough for the Premier League is that after a whole season I was reading that Tammy Abraham wasn’t either, and he’s currently the best striker in the country. So I will stick with believing young players keep improving if coached right, and hoping we have that coaching team in place and Wesley has the ambition to match his potential.

Stop writing players off after 7 games, he needs time to settle.

Will he succeed?, who knows, but he needs to get a good run, settle and develop.

I would give Davis 25 mins at the end of matches to help him develop also.

We are too quick to jump on players......shock horror.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Stop writing players off after 7 games, he needs time to settle.

Will he succeed?, who knows, but he needs to get a good run, settle and develop.

I would give Davis 25 mins at the end of matches to help him develop also.

We are too quick to jump on players......shock horror.

this isnt a guy getting in all the right positions and just miscuing shots, or being nullified by excellent defending. those jumping on him are doing so due to his complete lack of effort and that he's more concerned with throwing himself to the ground looking for free kicks than trying to get into a scoring position. even smith criticised his burnley performance in his recent interview. we're frustrated. we have a £20m+ striker that is doing so little it's like playing with 10 men...and that's not an exaggeration. it's an absolute credit to the rest of the team that we have picked up points and been in every game this season in spite of wesley. he has been absolutely dogshit so far with the exception of everton.

are we writing him off? of course not....but he has a LOT of improving to do

• Like 1

I hope he comes back stronger and I don't wanna hammer a young lad with negative feedback. But one thing I will never understand about some players, like Wesley, is that they obviously have a very poor shot, yet they insist on trying shots from 30 yards. Not only is it embarrassing, but it's just weird trying to do stuff you don't know how to do, when you can do your job by simple hold-up play. 

Remember my old coach (who I never appreciated the knowledge of until it was too late - stubborn young people eh) told me that once I had dribbled off 1-2 players I could just pass the ball and do it simple. Instead of dribbling the same players over and over again, or going for 3-4 in a row. Basically by doing my job in midfield simple and safe I was a better footballer than trying to win the match alone. It's embarrassing how hard it was to understand that in a young age. 

I am not saying Wesley has that problem, but as a team game doing stuff simple and quick is highly underrated. 30 yard shots aren't doing it simple, even if you are good at it. Which Wesley is not. 

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I hope he comes back stronger and I don't wanna hammer a young lad with negative feedback. But one thing I will never understand about some players, like Wesley, is that they obviously have a very poor shot, yet they insist on trying shots from 30 yards. Not only is it embarrassing, but it's just weird trying to do stuff you don't know how to do, when you can do your job by simple hold-up play. 

Remember my old coach (who I never appreciated the knowledge of until it was too late - stubborn young people eh) told me that once I had dribbled off 1-2 players I could just pass the ball and do it simple. Instead of dribbling the same players over and over again, or going for 3-4 in a row. Basically by doing my job in midfield simple and safe I was a better footballer than trying to win the match alone. It's embarrassing how hard it was to understand that in a young age. 

I am not saying Wesley has that problem, but as a team game doing stuff simple and quick is highly underrated. 30 yard shots aren't doing it simple, even if you are good at it. Which Wesley is not. 

As far as I can recall wesley has only taken 2 shots from outside the box. And neither one have been from past the D. He definitely needs to put more power in it which I believe he can do it is just they haven't been great positions in the first place so he hasn't been able to get a proper swing at it.

My main problem is mcginn is taking to many 30 or 40 yard shots which are straight at the keeper. The only player on our team I would be OK with taking 30 yard shots  regurlary is el ghazi. As to me he is the only player we have who could score 3/10 times or force a parry back into the box.

I think the reason wes looks like he isn't doing much is because he rarely gets the ball to feet and our long balls end up about 20 yards away from him so he can't get into or fight for a good position. I'm not anticipating Taylor to find him with a 60 yard pass but I'm expecting mings, Engels and Heaton to at least give wesley a chance when they hit it long. 

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Is that down to:

I'd bet haf McGinn's shots are from inside the box though, he does some excellent running to get on the end of stuff in the box. With Wesley I don't mind if he's being a focal point that Jack and McGinn run past and we carve out chances that way or if he's on the end of stuff. He's not one or the other at the moment, both would be ideal obvs in a fluid side, he needs more touches full stop.

• Like 1

Â