Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

27 minutes ago, Enda said:

I wish we hadn't signed Konsa and Luiz, and saved the 25-30m for another striker. Wesley will come good, I think, but right now he's not there yet.

As someone said, we're a Tammy Abraham away from being a mid-table side.

The money is there we just couldn't get a deal over the line. Smith knew we needed another striker just couldn't get it done and he didn't want to panic buy. I'm expecting a deal for a new striker to be wrapped up by, or soon after Jan 1st

I don't thnik he contributes enough, and looks weak for being such a big lad. But one positive I saw yesterday was the moment in the second half when he made a bursting run on a through ball, unfortunatley he was offside, but the intention was great and something I haven't seen too much of from heim. He mostly falls deep and tries to link up play, but he needs to stretch the opponents defence at times and make those penetrating runs. It was only once, but that's a start 😄

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I have very mixed thoughts on Benteke....It was his moment, he had  Weimann with a style of alacrity ,buzzing around feeding him and creating all the fuss and confusion for the opposition.....out of nothing, not sure I remember that, maybe an odd moment.

He created LOADS of chances/goals out of nothing.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

I'm not sold on the opinion that Wes isn't enough. I am not sure we are finding him enough on runs. We are very quick to play it out wide and most of our offense is run that way. Usually he is drawing defenders and that allows others to get open in crossing situations.  I only remember the exchange with Grealish this past game as being a bad play but usually he makes the smart play with the ball at his feet as well.  

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He created LOADS of chances/goals out of nothing.

This is the thing with Benteke. He literally completely ran our team. Barely needed anyone around him. We’d have been comfortably relegated earlier without him. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I see we’re going with the ‘we’re not playing to his strengths’ stuff again. Just like we did with Super Scott Hogan.

Why is it we never said it about Tammy Abraham? 

Because we were playing to Abraham's strengths? We were putting loads of balls in the box every game and he was getting on the end of things. Especially from set pieces from Hourihane. Also got to factor in Championship defenders too.

Wesley and Abraham are very different players though, Abraham has amazing natural positioning and will score tap-ins left right and centre... Wes ain't that player.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Because we were playing to Abraham's strengths? We were putting loads of balls in the box every game and he was getting on the end of things. Especially from set pieces from Hourihane. Also got to factor in Championship defenders too.

Wesley and Abraham are very different players though, Abraham has amazing natural positioning and will score tap-ins left right and centre... Wes ain't that player.

I think that's the problem, we still don't know what Wesley's strengths are

commentator said several times about his physique and him being a big strong lad, that traditional English centre forward, the benteke mould etc I think its something that plagued lukaku, people see a big bloke upfront and have a perception of how he will play, in reality lukaku isn't that player, I don't think Wesley is either

the disappointment from Saturday was that he just couldn't get involved at all, looked like he lacked confidence so badly that it was even stopping him from putting himself about and challenging for contestable balls let alone scoring

16 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

right now i'm not looking for 'amazing' natural positioning. half decent positioning would be an improvement now.

not a single shot...on or off target...vs burnley...end of

Yeah I don't know what the answer is for Wes to be honest. Need to find a way to get him involved more for sure. I look at the run he made for his goal against Everton and his movement for the goal against Arsenal and can see there's a player there. As a team we need to figure out how to do more of it. 

He's not great in the air from what I've seen, so constantly putting high crosses in isn't really going to be the best to get him goals. 

I'm sure it will come, it's just a shame we don't have another decent striker to take the pressure off him a bit.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

right now i'm not looking for 'amazing' natural positioning. half decent positioning would be an improvement now.

not a single shot...on or off target...vs burnley...end of

That's fair enough. Players will have good and bad games though, especially when you consider all the surrounding factors to Wes being here. We need more options in that department for sure for when he's having an off day like Burnley.

56 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I disagree with your statement but am willing to entertain it (its a forum after all!).
So, let's agree for a second that we're not playing to Wes's strengths. How should we be playing then? What are his strengths? 

I should probably let you respond to the question before adding that the reason Abraham scored lots of goals is because he is a good footballer and could control the football. The reason Wes doesn't has nothing to do with the way we play (we're actually playing quite well), it's because he's rubbish (sadly).

Happy to be proven wrong. In fact, I may have to be proven wrong for us to stay up. He's costing us points. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I disagree with your statement but am willing to entertain it (its a forum after all!).
So, let's agree for a second that we're not playing to Wes's strengths. How should we be playing then? What are his strengths? 

I should probably let you respond to the question before adding that the reason Abraham scored lots of goals is because he is a good footballer and could control the football. The reason Wes doesn't has nothing to do with the way we play (we're actually playing quite well), it's because he's rubbish (sadly).

Happy to be proven wrong. In fact, I may have to be proven wrong for us to stay up. He's costing us points. 

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what his strengths are as I haven't seen him play enough. But from what I have seen,  I can see that he isn't great in the air, but he is good with the ball at his feet when he's not looking for a foul. He does make intelligent runs too as shown by his goal against Everton. So if I were the coaching staff, I'd work on those aspects initially but I'm sure they know all about him. 

I'd honestly like to see Jota be given a game as a number 10 to see if he can get him involved more as they seem to have good chemistry on the pitch. With Jack going out wide. 

But Tammy is a good footballer, who's English, speaks the language, is settled, has lived here for years and has played in the Premier League before. All of the above doesn't apply to Wes. Players take time to settle and to get to know their new teammates, especially when the whole team is relatively new like ours. 

I appreciate you feel you've seen enough of him to think he's rubbish, I completely disagree that he's been given anywhere near enough game time to come to that conclusion given all the above circumstances which have to be taken into account.

I'm not saying he's good enough to take the league by storm, I simply do not know. I've seen moments of his game to see there's a good player there, albeit very raw. It's down to the coaching staff to get the best out of him. I feel writing him off this early is incredibly harsh given he's scored 2 already. Time will tell I guess.

Â