Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Today's result was a real body blow, but we have averaged a point a game up until now and if we can maintain that up until the end of the season, I think that just might keep us up. We are still outside the bottom three (just) and the next two clubs are within a point of us, so all is not yet lost. It's going to be tight, but I'm sure the rest of the bottom three feel equally worried tonight. 

I did the predictor, for the second time tonight. Both times, I had us staying up. On this occasion, a last day win at already relegated West Ham gave us safety and 15th place. All of the remaining clubs in the current bottom six, could have joined Norwich and West Ham in taking the drop, on the last day. It's going to be too close for comfort and I think we would need 40 points to pretty much guarantee safety, but I wouldn't want to bet against us. 🤞

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John said:

Today's result was a real body blow, but we have averaged a point a game up until now and if we can maintain that up until the end of the season, I think that just might keep us up. We are still outside the bottom three (just) and the next two clubs are within a point of us, so all is not yet lost. It's going to be tight, but I'm sure the rest of the bottom three feel equally worried tonight. 

I did the predictor, for the second time tonight. Both times, I had us staying up. On this occasion, a last day win at already relegated West Ham gave us safety and 15th place. All of the remaining clubs in the current bottom six, could have joined Norwich and West Ham in taking the drop, on the last day. It's going to be too close for comfort and I think we would need 40 points to pretty much guarantee safety, but I wouldn't want to bet against us. 🤞

I had us with 35 points with the predictor. I think we’re going down

These predictor things can be fun but give no bearing whatsoever on how the season is going to pan out, if we all did the predictor at the start of the season, to see how the table would look after twenty-five games, I doubt anyone would have had West Ham and Watford in the the bottom three, or Sheffield United and Leicester in fifth and third, LIverpool more than twenty points ahead of Man City, or for the likes of any of, Arsenal, United, Spurs and Chelsea to have dropped as many points as they have, in other words no one would likely have the table looking anything like it does now.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

To get anywhere near 40 points we have to ensure we do well at home. That's going to be tough when those home games include Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea. 

That's the thing. To stay up now we don't just need one, but a series of, let's be democratic 'unlikely' results. 

We need 4 wins and 2 or 2 draws to stay up. Our winnable games are mostly away. West Ham away on the last day of the season looks like the decider.

Thought 3 4 3 didn't work yesterday.  Got bullied and overrun in midfield. Wilson was a handful even with 3 CB's. We have to play get Jack in the middle of the park. Not buying a winger was a mistake.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Sheffield United making the top 4 is a real possibility in my opinion.

They are just such a solid unit.

Unit is what they are. All in concert, so well drilled and coordinated. We are not a unit, and we never were going to be one this season with all the new signings and non english speakers.

There's two things that still pisses me off about yesterday. 

1) the fact that we don't show up. We start the match with no energy, no fight and just look like a bunch of gutless relegation ready idiots wanting to get back on the bus. Such an important match and we bottle it completely. 

2) how we always bottle a 10 man advantage. Always. 

If the roles were reversed and we were 2-0 up getting a red card, I just know we'd bend over and let Bournemouth get points. But not us. 

Just pure shite. 

I think our survival hopes rest on others around us really struggling. I can’t see us getting more than 36 points (based on predictors/fixtures). 

We just need to hope that Brighton, Bournemouth, West Ham, Norwich and Watford keep losing. 

I’m really not confident. Argh.

13 more points needed over 13 games? Seems like a really tough ask. We could quite easily lose the next 5 on the bounce, which is looking like the more likely scenario all of the sudden. 

Really frustrating that we cannot put a run together like other teams can. 

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

13 more points needed over 13 games? Seems like a really tough ask. We could quite easily lose the next 5 on the bounce, which is looking like the more likely scenario all of the sudden. 

We've pretty much done a point a game for the season thus far. What we need is another win on top of that and we will be safe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

If anyone is interested.....no other reason........

Watford had a very good run, wdwwwd...(14 points)

West Ham had one good run, in September, dwwdwd (12)

Bournemouth, also in September, had one of wwdddw (12)

Burnley’s best, also in September, was dwdw (8)

Brightons, in December, was wdd.(5)

Norwich managed wd in December.(4)

Our best so far is dww in September/October.(7).

....draw your own conclusions... (one that sticks out for me is that there’s not been much in the way of good runs amongst those around us (*) since the beginning of the season. Only Watford, with their new manager.)

Maybe our good run is still to come ! Take heart !

......(*) before anyone tells me I’m being misleading, I know that, by definition, there are other teams who were near the bottom who have had good runs more recently, eg Southampton. Yes, if your good run has been good enough, I’ve left you off !......