Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just now, Farlz said:

A win today would've had us in 15th with a 5 point gap to the bottom 3. That hurts. 

Major missed opportunity but who knows if we'd won West Ham and Watford could've held on and won aswell.

Only thing certain today is it's made getting to 38-40 points range much more difficult. More pressue on the six pointers and also much more pressure to get some points off top half teams home and away e,g, grind out a point at Leicester like we did in the cup.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We are still above three other teams. As much as we'd all love a 4 game winning streak and comfortably get clear I can't see that happening. It will be odd win, odd draw and some more defeats up to May.

One thing we never had in all our previous relegation threatened seasons was it going to the final game. That could easily happen as I can't really see us being 4 points clear of West Ham or others going into the final day.

Looking at the remaining fixtures, i'd be surprised if we get 10 points. 

Today was critical, even a draw to keep Bournemouth below us. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We really need to stop this mentality. They have won two away games all season. The man who stopped us getting a 1-1 on the first day is injured.

. . . and the other one is playing in Italy. They aren't that great, and we don't have many winnable home games left, yet we're bad away from home. Hard as it may be, I think we need 3 points next weekend.

Even if we manage to somehow stay up, we aren’t building the philosophy or style that can be maintained once we lose Grealish. We already know that Suso’s incompetence means we won’t replace or rebuild, so what’s the point in staying up? The time to invest in the squad was whilst we still had Grealish

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . and the other one is playing in Italy. They aren't that great, and we don't have many winnable home games left, yet we're bad away from home. Hard as it may be, I think we need 3 points next weekend.

Got a feeling we'll turn it on at Newcastle. Seem to be doing o.k away to teams we never get results at (Burnley/Man. United) but can't see many away result apart from that one apart from scrambling a few draws.

10 more home points will keep us up I think. People will look at Palace and Sheffield United as must wins but reality one is really difficult to play away and the other is going for top 4 and hardly ever lose away themselves. So I'd say 5 points from the Spurs/Chelsea/Man. United/Arsenal games is a must now.

I know we were joking about it earlier this season but just writing off games against teams with players you've heard of simply isn't a good enough reason now.

Hopefully Arsenal and Man. United will stay in europa league long as possible. I remember Arsenal's form in last 6 games last season really dropped off because they made the europa final and they obviously haven't been much good this season anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Even if we manage to somehow stay up, we aren’t building the philosophy or style that can be maintained once we lose Grealish. We already know that Suso’s incompetence means we won’t replace or rebuild, so what’s the point in staying up? The time to invest in the squad was whilst we still had Grealish

If we stay up it’s job done for Suso. Rightly or wrongly he along with Dean have built a team that would stay in the PL. I highly doubt the owners will get rid. 

13 minutes ago, Farlz said:

A win today would've had us in 15th with a 5 point gap to the bottom 3. That hurts. 

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle (if she chose to identify as a man). But seriously we got what we ultimately deserved from the game today, for some reason we like to give the other team a handy cap start, but we could of easily scored just before they did, we don’t have a lot of luck, but it’s small margins and that’s what makes it the best league in the world. We go again.

IMO....this is the hardest it's going to get.  If we stay up, and I believe we will, we'll go from strength to strength.

When you look at the fact that Norwich pissed the championship last season and have kept the same squad without much addition, shows how well we have done in having to mould a a whole new squad! 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

When we got relegated last time, I called it in October. We've been better this season, but I have to call it now - it's another relegation season. We're simply not good enough. We had to sign too many players, we've been unlucky with injuries, we've left ourselves short in places and Dean Smith is on a steep learning curve at this level.

Too many times this season we've been outplayed by teams in and around us. Since December we've been awful, including the times we've won in the last few minutes. We've been battered for 90% of games. Furthermore, we've had so many games against ten men and we've failed to do anything in most of them (there must be a record for that!).

We have 13 games left. We still play Spurs, Man City, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves, Man Utd and Arsenal. From the reverse fixtures we got ONE point. So five games to get 15 points?! Oh, so just win every game we 'need' to.

Back to the Championship it is, but defeatest as it may be, I prefer being a big fish in a little pond. The Premier League moved on and we missed the boat. We're so far off being a good side, FFP has further added to the obstacles we face and the likes of Leicester and Wolves have made us not even 2nd best team in the Midlands. Might not even be second best in the West Midlands by May.

Depressing but to be expected. 

Wow! I understand that you’re upset but what you’re saying is really over reaction. We’ve won 7, in the last ten years we’ve only won more than 10 games once. So we’re on track to match our most wins in one season in the PL for the last couple of years.

We witnessed much worse scenarios than this. We once didn’t score for two to three months. We lost 15-0 in three games in a week! We stayed up in all those seasons. 

We’re much better quality wise or even results wise. The only problem we’re facing is that the competition is so hard and all teams are winning.

2 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

IMO....this is the hardest it's going to get.  If we stay up, and I believe we will, we'll go from strength to strength.

When you look at the fact that Norwich pissed the championship last season and have kept the same squad without much addition, shows how well we have done in having to mould a a whole new squad! 

What do you mean here by 'this is the hardest it's going to get'?

Our fixtures only get more difficult from here. Away at a bottom three team with one win in three months who played 45 minutes with 10 men is/was the easiest game we had left this season.

• Like 1

Just now, New_Hope said:

As in being at the bottom in a relegation scrap...we stay up, I think we will finish next season mid table comfortably.

Gotcha.

I don't really have an opinion on that. It may be possible to buy better and more effectively in the summer, if we stay up. Or it might not.