Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I dont think any of our star players will leave if we go down, they are part of a long term project and in particular Jack loves Villa and the only reason he would have left last time was because of the financial implications, he would effectively have sacrificed himself to save the future of the club he loves. Said it before, he will never leave this club.

• Like 2

Purely wishful thinking but the perfect scenario (should we be relegated) would be Jack getting into the England team this year and proving his quality to Southgate. Then deciding to stay with Villa to get us back up again, because he loves us and we don’t need the money. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I dont think any of our star players will leave if we go down, they are part of a long term project and in particular Jack loves Villa and the only reason he would have left last time was because of the financial implications, he would effectively have sacrificed himself to save the future of the club he loves. Said it before, he will never leave this club.

I hope you’re right but I think you’re wrong 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Haha there is zero chance Grealish stays if we go down. Let's be real  

Theres a huge chance he leaves if we stay up. 

I agree with the first part, disagree with the second.

If we stay up, I think Jack will want to stay to help Villa solidify their place in the league. We would undoubtedly invest in the squad again, perhaps spending £40-70m on 2-3 quality additions, whilst the rest of the squad would be that little bit more experienced in the league. I think Jack would give us one more year to, hopefully, see us finish 13/14th at worst, and unless we finish in European places (which, is obviously very unlikely) then I think he'll go to a Top 4 club with our blessing.

I think there will be interest this summer no matter which league we're in. But imagine if we stay up, Jack goes to a Top 4 club, and then Villa get relegated without him. I think Jack would probably regret leaving so quickly. (Obviously, he could stay an extra year, and then we could get relegated the following year anyway, but I just think he'd give us that one extra year).

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Admire your optimism but you're kidding yourself.

I think even if we stay up we'll be very VERY lucky to see Grealish playing for Villa next season

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I agree with the first part, disagree with the second.

If we stay up, I think Jack will want to stay to help Villa solidify their place in the league. We would undoubtedly invest in the squad again, perhaps spending £40-70m on 2-3 quality additions, whilst the rest of the squad would be that little bit more experienced in the league. I think Jack would give us one more year to, hopefully, see us finish 13/14th at worst, and unless we finish in European places (which, is obviously very unlikely) then I think he'll go to a Top 4 club with our blessing.

I think there will be interest this summer no matter which league we're in. But imagine if we stay up, Jack goes to a Top 4 club, and then Villa get relegated without him. I think Jack would probably regret leaving so quickly. (Obviously, he could stay an extra year, and then we could get relegated the following year anyway, but I just think he'd give us that one extra year).

He's 24. He's spent 3 seasons in the championship. He's taken the league by storm. Jack the fan and Jack the professional are two different things.

I think he will have some ridiculous offers on the table in the summer and I wouldn't blame him one bit if he left. 

Why stay and fight for a 13th place finish when he could be winning medals and gaining even more sponsorship money through the exposure? 

It's a nice thought but I'll be surprised if Jack is wearing our shirt next year. 

I don't think our team is far off, I think it's just unfortunate that every team in the Premier League is very good this season, usually theres 3 or 4 very poor sides. Even Norwich who are rock bottom are only 7 points from safety and playing some good football. 

If we do go down I hope we don't think we need to start again. Newcastle came down with us last time but they stuck to their guns and came back at the first attempt sitting comfortably at the top of the table most of the campaign. Whereas we just sold everyone we could and replaced them with mercenaries, there is not a single player left that we bought that first summer when we got relegated now that Kodjia and Chester have gone, there was far too much turnover of players. This young squad should be kept together and we'll be stronger for it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's 24. He's spent 3 seasons in the championship. He's taken the league by storm. Jack the fan and Jack the professional are two different things.

I think he will have some ridiculous offers on the table in the summer and I wouldn't blame him one bit if he left. 

Why stay and fight for a 13th place finish when he could be winning medals and gaining even more sponsorship money through the exposure? 

It's a nice thought but I'll be surprised if Jack is wearing our shirt next year. 

As I said, because I think he'll want to help us solidify our place as a Premier League club before he makes the inevitable move to a successful club that he will get sooner or later anyway.

32 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

As I said, because I think he'll want to help us solidify our place as a Premier League club before he makes the inevitable move to a successful club that he will get sooner or later anyway.

It's a nice thought but I'll be genuinely amazed if that's his priority in the summer. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

It's a nice thought but I'll be genuinely amazed if that's his priority in the summer. 

Yep, i imagine the 20-30 million he could/would make in the next 12 month alone may well have some part to play in any decision. you can be as much of a fan as you like but let's be realistic if someone like City/Liverpool said come play for us, win titles and get paid £250,000 per week you would honestly be pretty stupid not to want to go. Hell if West brom offered me £25,000 per year to support them i would be walking around in a tecso carrier bag shirt by the end of the day ;)

I think this is quite straightforward. If we stay up he stays for at least one more season. Why would we risk a rebuild by selling our best player, we will build around him. Ask Zaha etc how easy it is to force a move away, it’s not anymore. You even need 80m to get a centre half from Leicester..

Go down, he leaves.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elton said:

I think this is quite straightforward. If we stay up he stays for at least one more season. Why would we risk a rebuild by selling our best player, we will build around him. Ask Zaha etc how easy it is to force a move away, it’s not anymore. You even need 80m to get a centre half from Leicester..

Go down, he leaves.

i largely agree, but i think he'll want some clarification around recruitment plans for the summer if we stay up. if we scrape survival by the skin of our teeth on the last game of the season then it will be clear (if not already) that we'll need more quality in the side. i think he'll want some assurances that we're looking at some absolute quality signings and that we're willing to pay decent money in order to get them.

i'm basing this on some of his body language of late and the increased selfishness. he's becoming that lad that never passes to anyone at 6 a side cause he knows whoever he passes to will **** it up

4 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I doubt very much if most of our players see themselves as part of a long term project. Professional footballers have short careers that can be curtailed by injury at any moment so to progress their careers they need to move opportunistically to the club/situation that will best optimise their career progress. There are a few exceptions to this, but only very few. I don’t even know if I would want Jack to sacrifice his career to go down to the Championship again for the sake of a notional “long term project”. 

Edited by briny_ear

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Admire your optimism but you're kidding yourself.

I think even if we stay up we'll be very VERY lucky to see Grealish playing for Villa next season

Well...…….... we're finishing 15th this year, 8th next year, 5th the year after, we're winning the League cup this year and the F.A. cup next year and Jack's gonna score in semis of the Euro's when England get knocked out, that's what I think anyway😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yep, i imagine the 20-30 million he could/would make in the next 12 month alone may well have some part to play in any decision. you can be as much of a fan as you like but let's be realistic if someone like City/Liverpool said come play for us, win titles and get paid £250,000 per week you would honestly be pretty stupid not to want to go. Hell if West brom offered me £25,000 per year to support them i would be walking around in a tecso carrier bag shirt by the end of the day ;)

£25k for West Brom, how much for blues? 

15 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

How aren’t we getting points from those around us?

We’ve just had a draw and a win. Against Brighton and Watford. Before that we won at Burnley. We’ve beaten Norwich also. 

Thats 10 points in less than two months from teams around us!

Interesting. This is of course correct, we have a decent haul of points from the “teams around us” - 14 points from 9 matches against teams in the bottom six. 

And yet, I think @abdulaziz1 has a point, even though his statement about our performance against lowly teams may be a bit wrong. We only have one more match against a team in the bottom 6 left - West Ham away last match of the season. And we have a comparatively poor record against the top 14 in the league, including a really woeful points haul against the top 6. Most of our relegation competitors have done better than us against these teams, which is one of the reasons we haven’t been able top pull clear of the relegation fight.

So, yes, we need to start taking points from higher ranked teams because they are the only ones left to play and we need to match what our rivals have been doing.

Just ‘beating those around us” is not going to be enough.

• Like 1