Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

39 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

If we have any hope of staying up we are going to have to steal points from the big boys considering we cant seem to get points from those around us.

Nearly all of our points have come from teams in and around us. We've only taken 4 points from teams in the top half all season (win v Everton and draw v Man Utd)

• Like 1

Here's a question(obviously hypothetical) I would like to put to VT as a whole just to see the response...

Say for instance the worst case scenario occurred at the end of the season we went down and we were looking at having to unload with certain players wishing to stay in the PL. How would you deal with it?

The reason I ask is because the thought came to me that rather than sell off the crown jewels as it were,. why not loan out instead for 12 months? Most players are on long term contracts as far as I'm aware now. Therefore could we mitigate certain sales to hold onto those most valuable assets in the hope we would return to the PL at the first opportunity. We also wouldn't need to bring in more untested players we could just recall others. Obviously this hasn't happened and may never happen. It isn't necessarily the norm as far as loans go either as clubs generally loan lesser players not better, but would it be impossible outside of possible contractual issues?! 

It just seems to me that clubs automatically go down and sell off the best assets rather than ever try this way of pre planning for the possibility of bouncing straight back. Maybe I've just lost it!!! 

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Here's a question(obviously hypothetical) I would like to put to VT as a whole just to see the response...

Say for instance the worst case scenario occurred at the end of the season we went down and we were looking at having to unload with certain players wishing to stay in the PL. How would you deal with it?

The reason I ask is because the thought came to me that rather than sell off the crown jewels as it were,. why not loan out instead for 12 months? Most players are on long term contracts as far as I'm aware now. Therefore could we mitigate certain sales to hold onto those most valuable assets in the hope we would return to the PL at the first opportunity. We also wouldn't need to bring in more untested players we could just recall others. Obviously this hasn't happened and may never happen. It isn't necessarily the norm as far as loans go either as clubs generally loan lesser players not better, but would it be impossible outside of possible contractual issues?! 

It just seems to me that clubs automatically go down and sell off the best assets rather than ever try this way of pre planning for the possibility of bouncing straight back. Maybe I've just lost it!!! 

Problem with that is you need money to replace players you are not even getting a fee for and losing for the season. It’s possible but unlikely. I’d expect selling Jack would mean we could possibly afford to keep the rest anyway.

I wouldn’t worry though. We’ll spank Spurs in a week or 2 and won’t look back.

• Thanks 1

Watford-Brighton game is really doing my head in this Saturday.

I said before I actually thought a Watford win would be good here even if that dosen't look a good short term option as we'd go back in the bottom 3.

My reasoning is that will be a home game Brighton would target as a must 3 points so they don't win there and their other five are Palace (local derby and Palace good away), Liverpool (should lose), Man. City (should lose), Arsenal (draw) and Newcastle (probably a win but Newcastle can be tough to break down and have pace on the break).

So possible they'd only have 30 points after those home games and would need at least two wins on the road. Haven't looked at their away fixtures in fairness but it's obviously not easy to win away in premier league.

That said Watford are still only on 23 points despite their recent amazing run, have lost their last two in the last minute and after Brighton they have Man. United away and Liverpool at home so there's a chance they could lose five in a row so the Pearson bounce would certainly be over if that happens.

However they're a streaky team and from mid April they have Norwich and Newcastle at home and West Ham away so wouldn't shock me if they got 7 points from that run.

Guess the correct answer is a draw as usual!

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Nearly all of our points have come from teams in and around us. We've only taken 4 points from teams in the top half all season (win v Everton and draw v Man Utd)

Considering the run Burnley are on winning there was a very good result although Burnley were pretty s*** at that point in the season. Sums up the premier league this season.

Pointless looking at the reverse fixtures at this point of the season in terms of who is top half and who isn't. When we played West Ham they were flying high. Southampton's good form started with us. Watford were on fire when they beat us and then we have bought them back to earth. When it comes to the run-in then you want to play teams who have nothing to play for rather than teams fighting for titles, CL or the relegation battle. Games like Newcastle, Palace, Man U, Everton, Arsenal, Sheff Utd could be good games for us to get some points. If you could get 8 to 10 points from those games then you are in with a great shout of staying up. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I totally agree we are heading fast towards the championship, we dont have any strength in midfield and our defence when pressed is a shambles.

If we have any hope of staying up we are going to have to steal points from the big boys considering we cant seem to get points from those around us.

Its going to be major squeaky bum time soon and i hope the boys can pull it together,grow some balls and show passion and commitment to the shirt..UTV

How aren’t we getting points from those around us?

We’ve just had a draw and a win. Against Brighton and Watford. Before that we won at Burnley. We’ve beaten Norwich also. 

Thats 10 points in less than two months from teams around us!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We’ve just had a draw and a win. Against Brighton and Watford. Before that we won at Burnley. We’ve beaten Norwich also. 

Listen we have had enough of “facts” and “experts” around here ok?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

The cold hard reality is we had no choice but to buy practically half a squad so we were always going to be pushing poo up a hill with a stick and losing McGinn one of our star midfielders skittled us. Teams around us have had seasons of team solidity and even the lower teams have been spending PL budgets for several seasons. The $$$ that Bruce spent on mostly junk put us in this position. We just have to hope we stay up to kick on and I don't think that's impossible. Regardless we have sensible structure in place for the first time in decades

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

Personally, I don’t think a high points total WILL be needed this season. The teams in the bottom 6 have won a maximum of 7 games in 25. There is little to suggest that any of these teams will go and win another 4 in the last 13. I actually think 34/35 points could well be enough this year. 2 wins and 3 draws may well see us home. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eholm said:

Personally, I don’t think a high points total WILL be needed this season. The teams in the bottom 6 have won a maximum of 7 games in 25. There is little to suggest that any of these teams will go and win another 4 in the last 13. I actually think 34/35 points could well be enough this year. 2 wins and 3 draws may well see us home. 

Every team aside from Norwich in that bottom 6 would be expected to gain 3-4 wins and 3-4 draws from the remaining fixtures based on their previous wins and draws rate. If Watford gained another 3 wins and another 3 draws it would put them on 35. Obviously, the other teams above are expected to gain more points than that.

There's a very simple way to check it as well. Every team in that bottom 6 aside from Norwich have gained points at very close to a rate of a point per game which will put you on 38 points. Watford is the lowest at 0.92ppg and even that would put them as I said above, on 35 points. The other teams above will be higher.

Of course this is on the assumptions that the teams do continue their previous form for the rest of the season which we don't know if they will, but since the argument was precisely about how it doesn't seem like we need more than 34 or 35 points based on the teams' previous forms, I don't think that can be considered an objection. Just putting it out there early.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Away from Villa, I would Kevin Keegan love it this season if West Ham got relegated and Sheff Utd got into the Champions League in their 1st season back.

That would be sweet poetic justice for the Tevez season.

Can’t disagree with that mate, I have a real disliking for the Spammers! :thumb:

• Like 1

Liverpool will win the league in March. They will drop points after that. City and Leicester will secure champions league with quite a few games to spare.  They will also then drop points. Then you have a whole load of teams that will eventually be safe from relegation and mentally take their foot off the gas a bit. 

This is when teams in the scrap have to want it more and pick up those last few points for survival.

• Like 1

If Terminator Tech existed, then surely Mcginn would have a bionic ankle by now with the patience of some, if fans of had the say and chance they'd of said:  Look Mcginn, there is a risk you could kill everyone in the future but you really need to come back right now and save our season.

12 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

so our best players leave with no money coming in for them...struggling to see the positives of keeping them on our books personally.

i'd expect £150m for mings, mcginn, and jack as an absolute minimum. that can buy a new squad capable of challenging to come straight back up

whether the 'recruitment team' can spend that money wisely is another question however

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

so our best players leave with no money coming in for them...struggling to see the positives of keeping them on our books personally.

i'd expect £150m for mings, mcginn, and jack as an absolute minimum. that can buy a new squad capable of challenging to come straight back up

whether the 'recruitment team' can spend that money wisely is another question however

I think you're expecting a bit too much there from our sales. Fair enough if you saie that's what you expect we might get, but absolute minimum is a bit ridiculous imo.

I don't see Mings going for more than 30m and we'll probably be asking for more than that. He's in his prime now , not exactly a young kid with buckets of potential and he hasn't exactly proven himself to be a surefire great defender either, he's quite often shaky in games. I don't think he'll end up being sold, especially if he keeps his place in the England squad. Clubs will probably go for younger, potential buys than pay the price for Mings.

Mcginn will probablt go for somewhere around 40m. Maybe less, can't see him going for more. That injury he had will hurt his price tag. Not being able to show much more of what he can do in the PL.

Grealish is the massive uncertainty. I can see him going for as little as 60m to as high as 100m but I'm worried if we hold on to him because we didn't get the offer we wanted. Make no mistake, Villa will be angling to make as much money as possible from this deal. I'm worried if it gets to a point where the club have to keep Grealish for longer and Grealish may have to force a move away from us. I don't want it to have to come to this but if Grealisg's ambition is strong enough and our club's desire to benefit from the deal is, I can see it happening.

Edited by Laughable Chimp