Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I’m totally chilled about this season, I don’t think we’ll pull up trees but I think we’ll do okay and spring one or two surprises on the ‘big teams’ as we’ll actually try for a result instead of rolling over.

I keep trying to rein myself in because IF we got this right, if the board are prepared to back us for a sustained period of time and if Smith is the real deal - the sky is the limit for us.

Obviously anything above 18th is great this coming season but I think we’re going to be better than that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I quite like Bruce (Although I wouldnt want him back). But even with my good will that would be a glorious trainwreck.

Please please make it happen :) From Benitize to Bruce. 

Bruce and Ashley could do some serious damage in the local Kebab shops I reckon. 

I might look to buy one near the ground, could make a killing. 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Still plenty of time of squad changes but I do think at present have a better chance if staying up ahead of Sheffield United and Norwich 

My current reigned in optimism puts us above Brighton and Newcastle too. I think it will be a very interesting season in general. Liverpool, City and Spurs will continue doing their thing, but Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd could all be in danger of dropping out of the top 6. Leicester will be strong.

I have a feeling that the fact Smith will go for the win away from home we will pick up a fair few away day wins. This will stand us in good stead to stay up. 

We can quite comfortably go toe-to-toe with the likes of Brighton, Palace, Newcastle Sheffield Utd, Norwich as well as others, and I think Smiths philosophy will reap rewards in a league where so many focus on just not losing. 

• Like 1

Talking to my father today about this coming season and we both feel it's to be one helluva rollacoaster.  I honestly believe that we'll surprise some teams and perhaps catch them cold.  Even we as fans don't know what we're going to see, so how does our opposition plan against us?  

As an example, I can see us beating the likes of Spurs 3-0, but then losing to say Brighton or a Bournemouth 3-0.  Freak results week after week.  

One thing is for sure, with the business we've done this summer (and we don't appear to be done yet), I'm fully behind Smith and the boys and really looking forward to it.  UTV

41 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Talking to my father today about this coming season and we both feel it's to be one helluva rollacoaster.  I honestly believe that we'll surprise some teams and perhaps catch them cold.  Even we as fans don't know what we're going to see, so how does our opposition plan against us?  

As an example, I can see us beating the likes of Spurs 3-0, but then losing to say Brighton or a Bournemouth 3-0.  Freak results week after week.  

One thing is for sure, with the business we've done this summer (and we don't appear to be done yet), I'm fully behind Smith and the boys and really looking forward to it.  UTV

LOL beat spurs 3-0? There is no chance that's happening!

As for PL I think if team gets quickly we will stay up. I think we have done  better business so far than Norwich and Sheffield United.

My worry is if Wesley and mings get injured together that alone causes us massive problems.

I don't think kodjia Hogan and Davis are anywhere near good enough for PL

• Like 1

On 13/07/2019 at 08:34, villan-scott said:

I have a feeling that the fact Smith will go for the win away from home we will pick up a fair few away day wins. This will stand us in good stead to stay up. 

We can quite comfortably go toe-to-toe with the likes of Brighton, Palace, Newcastle Sheffield Utd, Norwich as well as others, and I think Smiths philosophy will reap rewards in a league where so many focus on just not losing. 

Not sure we have enough pace on the counter attack to pick up many away wins tbh.

Think we'll be stronger at home at least in first half of the season. Obviously with ticket sales and momentum from last season VP is going to be rocking from first match and our run of home games is pretty kind, think Liverpool is only top 6 team we play up to January.

I can't remember the last time the three teams coming up were all possession based sides, none consistently bang it forward and try and score from a knock down.

This season, we will take some wallopings. We will concede when a defender or the keeper loses the ball very deep.

I think we'll score goals as well though.

Looking forward to enjoying watching us.

• Like 1

I found it fascinating watching Mings collect the ball inside our area from Goal Kicks......I’m sure it’s going to cause fun and games this coming season.....I’m sure there was half a dozen times Shrewsbury were encroaching.....that’s going to take some spotting ?

On 21/07/2019 at 15:03, VillaChris said:

Not sure we have enough pace on the counter attack to pick up many away wins tbh.

Think we'll be stronger at home at least in first half of the season. Obviously with ticket sales and momentum from last season VP is going to be rocking from first match and our run of home games is pretty kind, think Liverpool is only top 6 team we play up to January.

Are we playing Dingles home or away first? that would be a huge match. I think if things went well with us and two of us starting to establish themselves as top 10 then that's a rivalry on the making. 

My first game to watch Villa (or even to be at Villa Park) was against them. They've beaten us that day. So I have my own reasons anyway. But I think after the 4-1, then after their thinking of they're going to be the best midlands club for the next decade. We came out of nowhere. 

You can sense it from when we came up. Even before that, when we had Hause, with all their getting attention on us. 

I would definitely like to have the chance to be at VP for this match, or even home and away. I don't think any of the fans experienced this before. It's a strange thing. 

Being well run, having the 3rd and 4th wealthiest owners. High ambitions. 

The bigger team (Villa) are trying to catch up. 

Hate them or not, its good for us to have them up there, we need a proper rivals. The scum will only take us backwards. Tesco bags have their last chance (even then they don't seem to have a proper plans).

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Are we playing Dingles home or away first? that would be a huge match. I think if things went well with us and two of us starting to establish themselves as top 10 then that's a rivalry on the making. 

My first game to watch Villa (or even to be at Villa Park) was against them. They've beaten us that day. So I have my own reasons anyway. But I think after the 4-1, then after their thinking of they're going to be the best midlands club for the next decade. We came out of nowhere. 

You can sense it from when we came up. Even before that, when we had Hause, with all their getting attention on us. 

I would definitely like to have the chance to be at VP for this match, or even home and away. I don't think any of the fans experienced this before. It's a strange thing. 

Being well run, having the 3rd and 4th wealthiest owners. High ambitions. 

The bigger team (Villa) are trying to catch up. 

Hate them or not, its good for us to have them up there, we need a proper rivals. The scum will only take us backwards. Tesco bags have their last chance (even then they don't seem to have a proper plans).

2011? Think that was the first time they beat us at VP in 45 years, and they haven't done it since I don't think.

But I agree, I'd enjoy a rivalry of 2 Midlands teams both trying to break up the establishment. Definitely prefer it to the sad contrived rivalry conjited up by West Brom fans.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

2011? Think that was the first time they beat us at VP in 45 years, and they haven't done it since I don't think.

But I agree, I'd enjoy a rivalry of 2 Midlands teams both trying to break up the establishment. Definitely prefer it to the sad contrived rivalry conjited up by West Brom fans.

Lol, you've been harsh to me. 😅

Then I shouldn't come to the next game against them. lol

To be honest, as long as we're doing good, always rivalry will be a good thing. I'm not sure how is it for those who live in the area. I haven't been to any derby games before. My only one was that Wolves game which didn't mean between the two teams anyway apart from escaping relegation. But in the last couple of years I'd say West Brom been our rivals, we've been around each other. Yet when it meant, we had the upper hand. We took them out of the FA cup. We promoted by taking them out of our way. 

The thing with Wolves and West Brom is that they have a respectable history unlike the scum. Although their 2 league cups could consider as 4 as they've beaten us in the 2 of them.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Lol, you've been harsh to me. 😅

Then I shouldn't come to the next game against them. lol

To be honest, as long as we're doing good, always rivalry will be a good thing. I'm not sure how is it for those who live in the area. I haven't been to any derby games before. My only one was that Wolves game which didn't mean between the two teams anyway apart from escaping relegation. But in the last couple of years I'd say West Brom been our rivals, we've been around each other. Yet when it meant, we had the upper hand. We took them out of the FA cup. We promoted by taking them out of our way. 

The thing with Wolves and West Brom is that they have a respectable history unlike the scum. Although their 2 league cups could consider as 4 as they've beaten us in the 2 of them.

VTers just seem unlucky :lol:

@HanoiVillan was saying his wife's first game was Bolton in 2012. Couldn't have picked a worse game if he tried.

I'm scared that if I ever go to VP it'll be a 5-0 loss to newly promoted Luton with Dean Smith sacked at halftime and Sam Allardyce already in the stands with his little Bluetooth headset passing down messages to the players to keep it tight at the back.

• Haha 1

I'm incredibly nervous about the upcoming season...  On one hand, I'm extremely excited to see how all the new players perform, but on the other, I think that if we don't get off to a flying start and have the squad start to gel by October, we're going to be in a hole that will only start to widen from that point on.  I think over a 3 season timeline, Deano will have this squad raring to go, but we don't have the luxury of that kind of time.  We need to survive this season, which means a haul of points on the board within the first 10 games or so.  

We could potentially have a starting lineup of just 4 players from the playoff final in it (Grealish, McGinn, Mings, & El Ghazi) and it's going to be a toss up to see how everyone else adapts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

VTers just seem unlucky :lol:

@HanoiVillan was saying his wife's first game was Bolton in 2012. Couldn't have picked a worse game if he tried.

I'm scared that if I ever go to VP it'll be a 5-0 loss to newly promoted Luton with Dean Smith sacked at halftime and Sam Allardyce already in the stands with his little Bluetooth headset passing down messages to the players to keep it tight at the back.

The good thing after that, we’ve beaten Newcastle, Arsenal away and Liverpool. All which I’ve been there.

So my rate of winning was good. I think it was much more than winning. Even last season when we haven’t win, my last game was the one changed Steve Bruce. So yeah I assume I like going to the games lol.

• Like 1

Heart says we will finish 10th and head says 16th. I think it will be a struggle though and maybe we will survive with a couple of games to go. Which, of course, I would take right now.

• Like 1