Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

It’s all about Dean Smith. I remember watching my home town Walsall all those years ago and thinking why can’t Villa play like this. If the players replicate what he wants then we will have a better than expected season. 

Inevitably there will be dips. But the players really need to step up now. Tomorrow will be a good indicator of where we’re at in terms of quality. Leipzig are a decent team.

The charlton game gave me a few good looks at how they respond to pressure but tomorrow is going to be a proper test. Hopefully we can create a lot of chances if we do that throughout the season we’ll be in easy street.

Other teams can be technically better but if we out move (fitness, strength, speed) them we will compete.

I want the next week to go really fast!

Actually I’m a bit nervous about going attack and attack. But when I remind myself about last season and our run. We seem to cope well with pressure and we defended well. As long as we don’t play as we did against Tesco Bags in the playoffs, where Gayle was going to score more than what he did. Smith organized our defense so I think he’s looking at the defensive area, when he bought 4 players there. If we get Benrahma I guess we’re great and creative. I wouldn’t mind Kodjia as a backup until January atleast.

7 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Actually I’m a bit nervous about going attack and attack. But when I remind myself about last season and our run. We seem to cope well with pressure and we defended well. As long as we don’t play as we did against Tesco Bags in the playoffs, where Gayle was going to score more than what he did. Smith organized our defense so I think he’s looking at the defensive area, when he bought 4 players there. If we get Benrahma I guess we’re great and creative. I wouldn’t mind Kodjia as a backup until January atleast.

If you look at the defence as a whole, he's actually brought in 8 new players. Mings, Engels, Konsa, Hause, Targett and Guilbert. Add two new keepers - Kalinic and Heaton - to the mix and there's your 8 new players. 

From that, I think it's clear to see that our new management team could obviously see what our previous management team didn't. 

• Like 1

This (Leipzig) was a very tough opponent, they were better than us for long periods, but a good result and test nevertheless. Spurs finishing will be sharper, but we’ll give anyone a game this season. Wonder how long into the season until we get a clean sheet ?

I loved reading this guy's tweets last season.  I think he's got a good brain for football and does some great articles.  He's gotten a job at Posh this summer because of his work on Twitter.  He thinks some of our signings are horrible and thinks Trezeguet will be a massive flop in the Premier League.  He rates Dean Smith, though, and is predicting us to finish in 14th right now, with Burnley, Newcastle, and Norwich going down.  

On 09/06/2019 at 15:55, baldivisvilla said:

I understand you download the Optus sports app and pay $15 per month for all Premier League games, regardless of which network you are with.

I'm on the optus network for my phone and get all prem games live but have never used it but obviously intend to this season, but you are right for $15 per month a non optus user can subcribe and get every game live then watch highlights of all the other games the next day.

Me been looking quite a few forums of other teams, and it seems hardly anyone at all rates our summer business, and I kind of see where they coming from whilst not agreeing with them.

Me been looking quite a few forums of other teams, and it seems hardly anyone at all rates our summer business, and I kind of see where they coming from whilst not agreeing with them.

I have noticed that as well. Thankfully, I have also noticed that pretty much the consensus is that we are not going to go down this season.  Honestly that is the goal.   Consolidation.  If you are expecting anything more than survival you are probably going to have a rough time.  Let this young team gel and improve.  We had to spread 120-130 million on pretty much a whole new first 11.  You have to admit for Premier League quality that is spreading it a bit thin.  There are probably going to be a couple misses.  Hopefully next summer we can spend half that on 2 players, inject some serious quality into the squad, and push on up the table.  In Dean I trust but he still hasn't even had a full year at the club.  I know a lot out there are ready to be back where we belong but I think its going to take a bit.  Hopefully the fans and Ownership give Dean a fair shake this season, especially when we hit that rough patch. 
Edited by Rightdm00

On 08/08/2019 at 08:42, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He thinks all of our signings are lacklustre, but that somehow we will finish 14th on the back of them? 

What a strange man. 

Exactly ...I'd take 14th right now.

On 08/08/2019 at 08:42, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He thinks all of our signings are lacklustre, but that somehow we will finish 14th on the back of them? 

What a strange man. 

He also thinks Smith is a great manager but then basically says his signings are tat. 

Unless he believes Smith had nothing to do with the signings, I'm not sure you can have both. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

A lot of it is jealousy tbh. You know damn well they'd wish they could spend 130m to improve their squad. When they say we're going to do a Fulham, it's more wishful thinking than anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else notice you get really invested in the league your team are in ?. It's like an automatic. I had a mild interest in the premier league over the last 3 seasons, genuinely. I'm gonna sit down and watch all of liverpool-norwich tonight and actually really want to.. We ain't even out until tomorrow evening. Last week, took a glance at the championship scores. 😂

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 1