Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

If things don't click then I can see a big January transfer window, not in terms of x spending as we're doing that now but some good loan signings made.

To me these owners won't just let us meekly slide back out of premier league as happened in final Lerner season, we will stay up at all costs.

On 23/07/2019 at 23:26, VillaChris said:

If things don't click then I can see a big January transfer window, not in terms of x spending as we're doing that now but some good loan signings made.

To me these owners won't just let us meekly slide back out of premier league as happened in final Lerner season, we will stay up at all costs.

It won’t come to that. Something special is happening.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s our mini league next season.

0761C4A5-DAE3-4A12-840E-48352B6A14C3.jpeg

Plenty of points to be won there. Smith will go for the win home and away. We have the potential to outplay most of those teams IMO. 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Plenty of points to be won there. Smith will go for the win home and away. We have the potential to outplay most of those teams IMO. 

34 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sign me up as somebody who thinks that anything from 7th downwards is up for grabs. 

I think it's more likely that Everton, Wolves, West Ham and Leicester will be better than us than not, but they are hardly sides that strike fear right into the heart of me. I'd fancy our chances in a one of game against any of them, so why wouldn't I fancy our chances to make a statement this season. Even if we discount those teams, any of the remaining 10 could finish basically anywhere in those remaining positions.

Why shouldn't we enter the season confident, is what I am getting at. I get the reservations about squad cohesion, but I do also think we could put out a team that have basically had a full pre-season for the first 4/5 games and win a couple, which is the kinda form you need to finish top of that pile. 

Everton, who finished 8th, won 15, drew 9 and lost 14. 

Loving the optimism 😄

Really think we can have a great season and even if we struggle (for results) I believe we will all stick with Dean & the players as we will be trying to attack and to win games, not sit back, defend and just hoof it upfield!

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sign me up as somebody who thinks that anything from 7th downwards is up for grabs. 

I think it's more likely that Everton, Wolves, West Ham and Leicester will be better than us than not, but they are hardly sides that strike fear right into the heart of me. I'd fancy our chances in a one of game against any of them, so why wouldn't I fancy our chances to make a statement this season. Even if we discount those teams, any of the remaining 10 could finish basically anywhere in those remaining positions.

Why shouldn't we enter the season confident, is what I am getting at. I get the reservations about squad cohesion, but I do also think we could put out a team that have basically had a full pre-season for the first 4/5 games and win a couple, which is the kinda form you need to finish top of that pile. 

Everton, who finished 8th, won 15, drew 9 and lost 14. 

Couldn’t agree more.

League of 14 for us.

Last 4 seasons 10th Place has needed 15-12-12-12 Wins.

Do I look at that League of 14 and see between 12-15 Wins ?

Yes I do.

Doesnt mean it will happen. Doesn’t mean it will be easy. But it’s perfectly possible.

Can we Win 8 or 9 Home games against Norwich, Sheffield United, Brighton etc ?

Of course we can. And can we turn over one of the Top 6, just once ? Why not.

And Win 2, 3, or 4, Away games ? Absolutely.

I will be more than happy with 1 Point per game to stay in the League. 4 Points every  4 games.

But can I see us getting 5 Points every 4 games for Top 10.

Yes,  absolutely I can.

• Like 2

I would add, 12 different Clubs have taken Positions 7-10 over the last 4 seasons. It’s as fluid as anything.

(Wolves, Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Burnley, Newcastle, Southampton, Bournemouth, Baggies, Liverpool, Stoke, And Chelsea.)

It’s not an exclusive club by any means

Edited by terrytini
Added list of teams
  • Like 1

I was discussing in another thread that, despite our spending, our squad will still have an estimated value much lower than many of the teams in the league. I thought I'd do a tiny bit (and I mean a tiny bit) of digging to see how the estimated values of the Prem squads differ.

(I've said 'estimated' twice already. The below includes lots of estimations and guesses!)

Villa

New signings:

Guilbert £4m, Jota £4m, Hause £3m, Engels £7m, Trezequet £9m, Konsa £12m, Targett £14m, Luiz £15m, Mings £20m & Wesley £22m.

Existing players:

Kalinic £7m, Nyland £2m, Steer £6m, Chester £7.5m, Taylor £4m, Elmohamady £3m,  McGinn £20m, Grealish £35m, Hourihane £8m, Lansbury £4m, Bjarnason £3m, Green £5m, Kodjia £9m, Hogan £6m, Davis £5m. (I've excluded Tshibola and Bree, on the basis that they'll be loaned out/ sold and to bring the squad down to 25).

This gives us an estimation (based entirely on inaccurate guesswork!) of a squad valued at: £234.5m

Here's how the rest of the league's squad values compares (figures taken from an article from April 2019):

Man City £1.02bn

Liverpool £855.45m

Chelsea £797.18m

Tottenham £751.95m

Man Utd £716.4m

Arsenal £562.95m

Everton £378m

Leicester £312.3m

West Ham £290.7m

Crystal Palace £239.54m

Villa £234.5m

Bournemouth £234.45m

Wolves £218.93m

Southampton £202.14m

Newcastle £180.45m

Watford £163.44m

Brighton £156.15m

Burnley £155.48m

Norwich and Sheffield United's squad valuations weren't in the article I looked at, but I would expect their squads to be in the bottom two, with valuations between 'multi-pack of Walkers' and '6 multi-packs of Walkers'.

Obviously these valuations were done prior to some teams signing players, and we're still looking at buying/selling more players ourselves (not to mention that players like Jota and Guilbert will probably be valued much higher in months to come), but I thought this was an interesting thing to consider. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Villa

New signings:

Guilbert £25m, Jota £15m, Hause £10m, Engels £20m, Trezequet £30m, Konsa £20m, Targett £20m, Luiz £25m(Only to City)50m to anyone else, Mings £40m & Wesley £40m.

Existing players:

Kalinic £10m, Nyland £2p, Steer £6m, Chester £7.5m, Taylor £4m, Elmohamady £5m,  McGinn £50m, Grealish £60m, Hourihane £10m, Lansbury £4m, Bjarnason £3m, Green £5m, Kodjia £15m, Hogan £6m, Davis £5m. (I've excluded Tshibola and Bree, on the basis that they'll be loaned out/ sold and to bring the squad down to 25).

This gives us an estimation (based entirely on a correct guesswork of premiership valuations this month) of a squad valued at: £421.5m and 2p

Here's how the rest of the league's squad values compares (figures taken from an opinion from 26 July 2019😞

Man City £1.02bn

Liverpool £855.45m

Chelsea £797.18m

Tottenham £751.95m

Man Utd £716.4m

Arsenal £562.95m

Villa £421.5m and 2p

Everton £378m

Leicester £312.3m

West Ham £290.7m

Crystal Palace £239.54m

Bournemouth £234.45m

Wolves £218.93m

Southampton £202.14m

Newcastle £180.45m

Watford £163.44m

Brighton £156.15m

Burnley £155.48m

Norwich and Sheffield United's squad valuations weren't in the article I looked at, but I would expect their squads to be in the bottom two, with valuations between 'multi-pack of Walkers' and '6 multi-packs of Walkers'.

Obviously these valuations were done prior to some teams signing players, and we're still looking at buying/selling more players ourselves (not to mention that players like Jota and Guilbert will probably be valued much higher in months to come), but I thought this was an interesting thing to consider. :D

Updated. I couldn't find Norwich's or Sheff Utd's either tbh.😀

• Haha 1

I know its likely to be a season where we lose more than we win, but screw it. I like these players, I like this manager and I like the way we play football.

We now have financial stability for at least three years even if we are relegated. Not only that but most of  these transfers can likely be sold for a profit should the worst occur.

So I am determined to enjoy this season regardless.

I have no prediction for where we will end up position wise. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer