Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Possibly what the estimated value price in millions of each player possibly. I think 😋

Well that’s what I was going for too. But for the recently purchased players I’ve used purchase price because that’s a fair reflection of their value, prior to playing a minute of Premier League football.

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So for example where have you got 'Grealish = £35m' from?

I’ve just gone for what I think an actual, reasonable valuation for him would be. Not a valuation mentioned by the media during a potential bidding war. I’d say Grealish is worth a similar amount to James Maddison, around £30-40m.

I thought this much was obvious in my post tbh.

I’ve used recent purchase prices for players we’ve bought, because what else can we go on? And the rest of our squad is guesswork, but based on the usual factors: age, decline, potential etc.

Alright at the risk of looking like an idiot, here's my patented Enda's Predictions for the Year.

1. Aston Villa will not be relegated this year. We'll survive, but be a good way short (in terms of positions, not necessarily in points) of the 7th or 8th place some of you are predicting.

2. We will get absolutely spanked (e.g. 4-0) at least twice. Including at home.

3. Jed Steer will not turn out as good as people think. Kalinic will have a better season than Steer. (As things stand on today July 29th, we haven't signed Butland or anyone, and Steer looks first choice.)

4. The Dean Smith halo will be significantly diminished by the end of the season. He's new to the Premier League, and his hesitation in making substitutions will cost us points and drive people mad.

5. Today's discussion on VT is about a mythical £50 million bid for SJM, and just about nobody here would go for it. That will look unwise at the end of the season. McGinn is a great little player, one of my favourites at the club, but he's never in a million years a fifty million quid footballer.

6. VT will get too optimistic when we win, and too pessimistic when we lose. Nailed on, as ever.

7. Sir Gary Cahill will go to an Altrincham U-13s reserve match and find us the next Messi.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

According to BT Sport we will finish 15th but have a horrible start to the season

Mail article so either read it or don't but they used real-time sports analysis experts Squawka to analyse vast amounts of football data from Opta and came up with the following:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7300617/BT-Sport-use-super-computer-predict-2019-20-Premier-League-campaign.html

ASTON VILLA – 15TH

Survival will keep Aston Villa happy, particularly as they are due to win just three of their opening 15 matches.
    Horror home form will see Villa fail to win consecutive games at Villa Park until the last two of the season – enough to keep them in the top flight.
    Jack Grealish and Matt Targett look set for seven assists each, providing the ammunition for new signing and top scorer Wesley Moraes.

You can also see the Full BT prediction for Villa on their website

https://sport.bt.com/the-script/the-script-how-aston-villa-2019/20-premier-league-season-will-pan-out-according-to-google-opta-and-squawka-S11364379101551

The Script: How Aston Villa's 2019/20 Premier League season will pan out according to the stats

As with any newly promoted team, it's all about survival for the Villans. Will Dean Smith’s significant summer recruitment be enough to keep them in the Premier League?

Edited by LakotaDakota

2 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

How many assists are they giving Guilbert? I need to know whether to pick Targett or Guilbert as my cheap gem defender in fantasy. 

I picked Guilbert. Got a feeling he's gonna come clutch.

• Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

I've gone for him at present. Maybe some bps too with him intercepting a lot with his relentless energy. 

• Like 1

I can see why they'd think we take time to get going given a lot of new players, but we actually have quite a favourable start with a lot of winnable games. 

First 10:

Spurs (a), Bournemouth (h), Everton (h), Palace (a), West Ham (h), Arsenal (a), Burnley (h), Norwich(a), Brighton (h), Man City (a)

Of those games, I would actually think we could win maybe 5 of them. The away games against Spurs, Arsenal, City probably no points, but we could quite feasibly win three or even four of the five home games. And I reckon we are more than capable of winning at Palace and Norwich imo. We win five and draw one or two we're already on 16/17 points. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Same's. Especially if Jota is going to play and give him so much room to bomb down the flank. His two assists in pre-season seemed engineered. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I can see why they'd think we take time to get going given a lot of new players, but we actually have quite a favourable start with a lot of winnable games. 

First 10:

Spurs (a), Bournemouth (h), Everton (h), Palace (a), West Ham (h), Arsenal (a), Burnley (h), Norwich(a), Brighton (h), Man City (a)

Of those games, I would actually think we could win maybe 5 of them. The away games against Spurs, Arsenal, City probably no points, but we could quite feasibly win three or even four of the five home games. And I reckon we are more than capable of winning at Palace and Norwich imo. We win five and draw one or two we're already on 16/17 points. 

Certainly wouldn't hope for a poor start, we play only one top 6 club up to start of January and we also have some winnable away fixtures early on e.g. Palace and Norwich.

Don't fancy having to find around 20 points to stay up after xmas when you look at our fixture list second half of the season particularly the last 10 games.

5 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

First 10:

Agree. Although 5 Wins in 10 games is a very big ask for a newly promoted Club.

Of course  - averaged over the Season - we only need 10 Points.

A point a game keeps us up, 1.5 ( 15 over ten games) is Top half. ( over a season of course !).

Interesting feature on the Sky Sports website.  It is actually a good read (with graphs and everything!).

Do Norwich, Sheffield United and Aston Villa have what it takes to survive in the Premier League? Adam Smith takes an in-depth look at how newly-promoted sides have fared in the past and the keys to avoiding relegation...

Fifty-six per cent. That's the percentage of teams who have survived their first season in the Premier League since 1995, when the 38-game season was introduced.

With just 40 out of 71 newly-promoted clubs avoiding an immediate relegation back to the Championship, Norwich, Sheffield United and Aston Villa have a real battle on their hands to maintain Premier League status beyond 2019/20...
Edited by trekka
  • Thanks 2

Feeling quite confident now, if we've got Heaton at the back and Mings and Engels in front of him - this is a unit that will keep us in games regardless of the fact we've invested so much in attack. Mid table at least.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I don't know.

Would still play Steer i think. Did really well last season for us and is a major factor in why we got promoted.

Heaton is a top keeper and more than worthy of being our No1.

Jed Steer is a number 2 who is a more than able understudy (hence the great job he did for us last year),I am very glad we have him available to us but give me Heaton every time.

21 hours ago, Wezbid said:

How many assists are they giving Guilbert? I need to know whether to pick Targett or Guilbert as my cheap gem defender in fantasy. 

I'm getting lectured by a non Villa FPL guy on FFS that Elmo is absolutely 1st choice RB

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm getting lectured by a non Villa FPL guy on FFS that Elmo is absolutely 1st choice RB

You may as well encourage him to put Taylor in his team whilst he's at it.