Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

43 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Anyone else notice you get really invested in the league your team are in ?. It's like an automatic. I had a mild interest in the premier league over the last 3 seasons, genuinely. I'm gonna sit down and watch all of liverpool-norwich tonight and actually really want to.. We ain't even out until tomorrow evening. Last week, took a glance at the championship scores. 😂

Yup. I pretty much watched all the Championship games I could last season and only watched the "big" Premier League games. This year I'll be watching Premier League again. 

Have to say I'm amazed Norwich haven't signed any defenders.

Last season they conceded nearly 60 goals in winning the league. We were slightly worse but massively improved once Mings was signed.

They won lots of high scoring games last year (often with 98th minute winners). Obviously can't judge too much on tonight given the opposition but it will be hard to win in that style this year.

Think Sheffield United have more chance of staying up, they'll be more of a gritty team to play imo especially at Bramall Lane.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Last season they conceded nearly 60 goals in winning the league. We were slightly worse but massively improved once Mings was signed.

They won lots of high scoring games last year (often with 98th minute winners). Obviously can't judge too much on tonight given the opposition but it will be hard to win in that style this year.

Think Sheffield United have more chance of staying up, they'll be more of a gritty team to play imo especially at Bramall Lane.

I'll admit the alarm bells went off when i seen Hanley starting. There in trouble this season.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Norwich were jammy as **** last season. They still deserved to win but I don't think they're as good as some make out, and they haven't really strengthened that much this summer.

• Like 2

Hanley having a howler...  That own goal has rattled him.  He was always a clogger, but he is playing like he has two left feet right now.  Liverpool could potentially put another 3-4 past Norwich today.

That said, Pukki has looked lively on the other end of the pitch for Norwich.

7 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I'll admit the alarm bells went off when i seen Hanley starting. There in trouble this season.

Hanley barely played last season, think their first choice CB is injured. Hanley massively out of his depth at prem level as he's shown before at Blackburn.

Think Zat will have fun watching them this season, think they'll be like Wigan under Martinez at premier league level.

Fixture list hasn't been kind easier, got Chelsea at home in two weeks. Ourselves and Sheffield United have kinder starts to the season to get a win or two.

Norwich have made a huge mistake if they thought they might have enough with the team that got promoted. They cannot defend and they will struggle to score, pukki had a one off in the championship last season and will do well to bag 8 Premier League goals from what I’ve seen tonight. That aside, they’ve looked good going forward and will get relegated with pretty much the entire pot of money and parachute payments. I have to assume that’s what they’ve planned for. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Norwich have made a huge mistake if they thought they might have enough with the team that got promoted. They cannot defend and they will struggle to score, pukki had a one off in the championship last season and will do well to bag 8 Premier League goals from what I’ve seen tonight. That aside, they’ve looked good going forward and will get relegated with pretty much the entire pot of money and parachute payments. I have to assume that’s what they’ve planned for. 

The things that are very obvious this half. The press of Liverpool is like nothing Norwich have played before. They seem to be sticking to how they want to play. When they lose the ball they look very shaky. Positionally sides at this level are far greater out of possession as well as in it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I wouldn't say he had a one off. Put him in the championship this year again and he'd probably do the same or close to it. Agree though, he'll do well to score at max 10.

I'm feeling my confidence for tomorrow drain away watching this.

I know Norwich have spent very little but this could easily end up 10 nil.  They are not just being well beaten they are being taken to absolute pieces. 

Anyone else already throwing stuff at the TV with the whining self appreciating biased drivel coming from Jamie  carragher. The one thing I’m not looking forward to this year is the awful commentary teams sky have for the premier. Carragher shouldn’t even be in the job after what he did spitting at that young kid in the car ... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I wouldn't say he had a one off. Put him in the championship this year again and he'd probably do the same or close to it. Agree though, he'll do well to score at max 10.

Pukki looks to me like a rabbit in the headlights, he’s completely screwed the chances he had. I don’t know if Liverpool underestimated Norwich but they’ve offered up quite a few chances that quite a few Prem teams would have taken advantage of. 

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Pukki looks to me like a rabbit in the headlights, he’s completely screwed the chances he had. I don’t know if Liverpool underestimated Norwich but they’ve offered up quite a few chances that quite a few Prem teams would have taken advantage of. 

TBH, Norwich looked dangerous going forward until the second goal.  Obviously, that's gone out the window now, but I still think Norwich will score quite a few this season.  I think their defense will be the reason why they'll drop, though.  

Watching Norwich get obliterated I cannot believe people outside the club think we've been stupid in strengthening. This is precisely the reason why we needed to. Norwich won't play many better teams but jeez they have massively contributed to their own downfall tonight. They look as passive as we did the year we came down. They have no strength at the back. No muscle in the middle. Up front no pace. I think they could be in big trouble early with so little strengthening over the summer. 

I'm watching the Liverpool - Norwich match on Sky, and have to agree they are getting taken apart. Then again Liverpool can still be got at, if that German midfielder of Norwich had taken his chances might of been a different story at half time.

But one thing I've noticed is Firmino. When the Liverpool keeper got injured he was the first over to help out, same with the Norwich lad who got a ball in the erm..balls. Nice to see after some of the win by all costs antics of some championship teams cough cough Leeds!

6 minutes ago, McgrathsDodgyKnee said:

Anyone else already throwing stuff at the TV with the whining self appreciating biased drivel coming from Jamie  carragher. The one thing I’m not looking forward to this year is the awful commentary teams sky have for the premier. Carragher shouldn’t even be in the job after what he did spitting at that young kid in the car ... 

He shouldn't be on Liverpool games either. Commentary should always be neutral. He calls the Liverpool players by their first names at times and he's all over them. Plus, he's pretty crap anyway .

• Like 1