Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

I don’t want to appear arrogant about it, as I don’t for a second think it’s going to be easy, but man am I relieved to be playing Derby not Leeds. 

Leeds would be a spiteful, aggressive and nasty game, which really doesn’t suit us. I also happen to think that Leeds have a higher ceiling than Derby, and could potentially cause us big problems. We have absolutely battered Derby twice this season. 

It won’t be easy, but I’m feeling good about our chances. 

• Like 2

The day will be a far better atmosphere for all of the fans with it being Derby.

With Leeds, the atmosphere would have been very hostile. Every club has its share of hoolies, but we all know about dirty Leeds.

Will we get a better chance i ask?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, villatillidie1980 said:

Have to say, I didn’t think it would be Derby. 

Fair play to them for going to Elland Rd and getting a very good win. 

Bring it on, looks like Ashley Cole May be in the starting 11 too...

Didn’t he play in the home game against us and got subbed at half time for being terrible? :lol:

• Like 1

We've beaten them twice convincingly this season, but it's a one-off game where anything can happen. They have some really decent players - the two loanees, Mount and Wilson, will need to be watched very carefully. 

But at the same time, I said all along I'd rather them than Leeds. Leeds are dirty, their fans are loutish, and we haven't managed to beat them this season. They'd have targeted Jack from the start and put us off our game and quite possibly a brawl could have started. Against Derby it will be two attacking teams going for it with respect for each other.

Those wins against Derby won't mean anything if we lose the final, but if we turn up and everyone gives 100% we have proven what a good side we are. We need to perform much, much better than last night that's for sure - and both Jack and John need to be at their creative best as they were against Derby in the league matches. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, robby b said:

I'm worried about Jack Marriott, he can be really dangerous, he went on loan from League One Ipswich to my home town team, National League Woking, three times from 2013 to 2015 and of course he scored in virtually every game as he was ridiculously out of place in the fifth tier. But then he went on to score a lot of goals for Luton and Peterborough in League One.

You heading to Wembley on Sun to watch Chertsey Town or are they the enemy for you ? 

• Like 1

its worth noting that Mount didnt play in either of the League games this season when we played Derby, he seems a bit like their Grealish (aka improves their team greatly), obviously its a one off match and will be a totally different game.

I think we have a better chance vs Derby than if we played Leeds, but we need to ensure we arent complacent, if we dont turn up on the day we will lose, we need to play it like its our final (which it is)!!!.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Derby fully deserved their place, they dug a terrific performance out tonight they looked very, very good at pace and attacking the goal - a real handful that I know we couldn’t cope with. But will this Derby turn up?

Will the Villa that beat them 7-0 over two games turn up as we haven’t seen them for a while either?

Both teams will compete and play attacking football, bring it on, football is the winner

Edited by thunderball

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We've beaten them twice convincingly this season, but it's a one-off game where anything can happen. 

Quite. Leeds hammered them home and away in the league, played them off the park in the first leg and still it's Derby who are in the final.  We have every right to be confident as fans, lord knows we've had to wait long enough for a run of games which we can feel confident about, but I don't think for a second that Smith will allow the players to become complacent.  

• Like 4

The league results against Derby are of little relevance for the 27th.  Be a very tough game. However, im more confident we will win than i was in the lead up to the Fulham game. We didn't play good football, Fulham did and my biggest fear that they'd boss the ball and we'd live of scraps was confirmed from a few minutes in. Won't be that way against Derby. 

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm going to be on a **** aeroplane all day.

**** me, it's going to be agony.

I'll be driving abroad all day. No radio, no streams. Can't believe it.

• Sad 2

Comes down to do Derby have a clogger to shackle Jack ... Huddlestone is probably that man but I doubt he has the legs to start at Wembley

how we deal with Mount will be interesting , Whelan played a huge part in that 10 game winning streak but Wembley is a big pitch if he’s feeling his age 

Once again it will be all on the day and the team that secures the initiative will win....previous results count for nothing.

However, I feel Derby will be a team that is better suited to us being able to play our normal game.....and as has been said the atmosphere will be less hostile.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Derby had the game of their season, Leeds were complacent and arrogant. When we face them the dynamic will be completely different - it should hopefully be a more straightforward game and I don't think we'll see Derby so open and Keogh marauding forwards as he did for two of their goals tonight. Derby are definitely one first teamer down, and Dean Smith should be able to counter Frank's tactics so we go in as favourites. Which is new. 

Lawrence, Wilson and Marriott all played in the 3-0 and 4-0 wins we had against them. The only one missing who you'd consider one of their main players was Mount who no doubt does make a difference to them.

Malone was sent off tonight meaning Cole will play left back. He was taken off at half time at Villa Park 2 months ago as we were running rings around him.

We play to our best and they play to their best then we win. I'd take knowing that going into any game but in a final where you'd hope that we will be 100% focused and putting a shift in, as you'd expect they will, us having the better quality overall should make the difference.

Edited by markavfc40

13 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm going to be on a **** aeroplane all day.

**** me, it's going to be agony.

Who are you flying with and where will you be en-route when the game is taking place?

Some airlines have live TV for at least part of the journey. A lot also have internet so at least you can follow the VT match thread - it's always positive in there ;)

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Whelan played a huge part in that 10 game winning streak but Wembley is a big pitch if he’s feeling his age 

Well it's the same length as the one at Villa Park and one meter wider. I think he'll be okay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well it's the same length as the one at Villa Park and one meter wider. I think he'll be okay.

You have seen him at Villa Park haven’t you  :P

no joking apart I thought he’s been a key man the past few weeks

• Like 1