Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

13 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Oh well, enjoy your mini pack of peanuts then :D

Exactly...

It was my best option for timings.  The return flight with Delta would've only given me a 50-minute layover at JFK and I wasn't willing to risk it given they're not an especially timely airline.

At least I'm up the front in the posh (normal for other airlines) seats...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AXD said:

Any of the stats people know how many times a play-off final was between 5th and 6th and who is more likely to win?

In the 14 years from 04/05 since this league has been known as the Championship, 5th has only played 6th in the final once, and 6th place won.  That was actually season number one, with West Ham beating Preston.

So, we'll have to make history to go up ...

In terms of appearances and wins
3rd place - 11 apps & 7 wins
4th place - 7 apps & 2 wins
5th place - 7 apps & 3 wins
6th place - 3 apps & 2 wins

Final combinations
3rd v 5th - 6 finals - 3 wins apiece
3rd v 4th - 5 finals - 3rd place has 4 wins
4th v 6th - 2 finals - 1 win apiece
5th v 6th - 1 final - 6th place won

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If we play to the best of our ability and Derby play there best, we should be promoted. 

I agree, it is a big 'if' though. One of the good things about our recent run, and the Baggies games in fairness, is that we've found a way even when not at our best, which in turn means we don't seem to panic too much if we go behind early on. That kind of belief could prove vital if we are not quite at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Yeah, our Wembley record since the 2000 final has just been horrendous, aside from that Liverpool semi-final. Don't forget we got turned over by Chelsea 3-0 in 2010 as well.

We just bottle it basically every time. Although as I said, we've always been the underdogs in these games.

Liverpool 2015- my best day watching the Villa, Fulham 2018- probably my worst.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Steer

Elmo
Mings
Tuanzebe
Taylor

Whelan
Grealish
McGinn

El Ghazi
Abraham
Kodjia

Kalinic, Hause, Jedinak, Green, Adomah, Davis, Hourihane

I agree with this, only I would swap Taylor for hause 

• Like 1

Things to be positive about:

- Grealish and McGinn

- Our attitude is spot on, focused and we want to win.

- Deano knows what he wants

- Abraham is due a good game

- We have the experience from last season

Negatives:

- Derby are a good side.

- They will cause us problems, especially Mount. He looks to be class.

- We have been known not to turn up, by often, but even 30 minutes could see the game swing to Derby

Dunno man, Leeds would have felt the exact same going into the playoff second leg, after all they beat Derby 3 times this year. They'll have Mason Mount this time which can be a huge factor, only have to go and see how much of a huge effect Grealish gave us when he came back from injury (I get we beat a team without him). Theres no denying how a clubs talisman has an effect on the team. The pressure is going to be on us as we're favourites and history tells us we usually bottle it. But on the flip side we have Dean Smith not Bruce and that alone gives me hope!!

I just hope we keep our nerves on the day. Predict Grealish to score and then Adomah to come on as a sub to score his final goal, redemption for the penalty miss. 2-0 UTV

53 minutes ago, Dick said:

Things to be positive about:

- Our attitude is spot on, focused and we want to win.

This is the only question mark for me. We talk the talk pre match but recently we have looked like we have  strolled into games with an attitude of "We've got this and don't need to try"

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Steer

Elmo
Mings
Tuanzebe
Taylor

Whelan
Grealish
McGinn

El Ghazi
Abraham
Kodjia

Kalinic, Hause, Jedinak, Green, Adomah, Davis, Hourihane

I'd go along with this, although I'd maybe save Kodjia for later in the game. I'm thinking get 38 year old Ashley Cole chasing Green up and down our right wing for about an hour then bring on Kodjia to take advantage.

I've been critical of our performances against the Boggies, and a few have spoken of how Derby played last night. But...

They had nothing to lose. They were 2-0 down on aggregate, away - they had to throw caution to the wind and they ended up winning. That happens sometimes, but not often, and they have the talent in the team to make it work sometimes. And Leeds have the mouth but lack of spine to allow it to work.

In the final, they have as much to lose as we have. If they go for it, we could stuff them and I doubt Lampard will go into the final so blasé. 

Smith has seem some of the players sort of freeze across the last 2 games, and has nearly 2 weeks to figure out how to deal with that and get them playing like they were a month ago.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, supermon said:

Dunno man, Leeds would have felt the exact same going into the playoff second leg, after all they beat Derby 3 times this year. They'll have Mason Mount this time which can be a huge factor, only have to go and see how much of a huge effect Grealish gave us when he came back from injury (I get we beat a team without him). Theres no denying how a clubs talisman has an effect on the team. The pressure is going to be on us as we're favourites and history tells us we usually bottle it. But on the flip side we have Dean Smith not Bruce and that alone gives me hope!!

I just hope we keep our nerves on the day. Predict Grealish to score and then Adomah to come on as a sub to score his final goal, redemption for the penalty miss. 2-0 UTV

I'd be more worried had Leeds been outplayed by them, and I know Derby's play contributed towards what Leeds did BUT ... it was individual errors that cost Leeds.  Fair play to Derby and all, but Leeds shot themselves in both feet.  As stated elsewhere, if we can avoid the silly mistakes (no more Gerrard-esque slips Mr. Whelan) then Derby will have a much tougher time without being handed gifts.  Having said all of that, I completely agree that we need to assume the worst and be ready for the absolute best Derby can throw at us.  At least then we won't get a surprise on the day.

Mount versus Abraham.  Chelsea versus Chelsea for the prize of going up to play ... Chelsea.

4 hours ago, BOF said:

In the 14 years from 04/05 since this league has been known as the Championship, 5th has only played 6th in the final once, and 6th place won.  That was actually season number one, with West Ham beating Preston.

So, we'll have to make history to go up ...

In terms of appearances and wins
3rd place - 11 apps & 7 wins
4th place - 7 apps & 2 wins
5th place - 7 apps & 3 wins
6th place - 3 apps & 2 wins

Final combinations
3rd v 5th - 6 finals - 3 wins apiece
3rd v 4th - 5 finals - 3rd place has 4 wins
4th v 6th - 2 finals - 1 win apiece
5th v 6th - 1 final - 6th place won

Total bottle job for whoever finishes 3rd and not at least make the final 😀