Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

On 15/05/2019 at 08:20, Demitri_C said:

Nooooooo you need to get @mjmooney to create the thread he is our lucky. Charm! 

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Too late. I came on to do it, but was beaten to the punch. You know who to blame if we lose.   :)

On 15/05/2019 at 08:50, wilko154 said:

Delete this now, it needs to be Cup Final Three (of three) - Pre Match or The Cup Final - Pre Match created by @mjmooney

But we lost the last game 1-0, maybe its for the best that its not mjmooney

On a side note, congrats to Dean Smith for reaching 17 cup finals this year. Never before done in history

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

**** sake

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Don't do that. Very arrogant mindset. We still have to beat a very good erby team who just destroyed Leeds in their patch. Won't be easy 😃

Relaaaax, I'd had a few last night :D  Obviously we can't take them lightly, but I'm much happier it's Derby and not Leeds :thumb:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 15/05/2019 at 12:54, MrDuck said:

3pm kick off on a Monday?

Actually that means midnight here in Australia, which is not too bad.

Better for Perth Ozzie’s at 10 pm. Does anyone know or can suggest a pub to watch with a Villa clientele?

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Don't do that. Very arrogant mindset. We still have to beat a very good erby team who just destroyed Leeds in their patch. Won't be easy 😃

I can’t quite decide if this is Kenneth Williams worthy or not.

• Haha 2

We’ll have to be a lot better than the Albion games, but Derby won’t be putting ten men behind the ball. They impressed me last night for sure, and I’d have rather have played them to Leeds. 

Looking back on the highlights, Leeds were unbelievably naive at times. Their "everyone moves forward with the ball "  approach with the was their undoing really. It cost them many times over the season. Marriott left in acres of space where Ayling should of be. Keogh bombing up the pitch out of defence like beckanbaeur, nobody near him. Height of respect for Derby, but they'll find it difficult against us. We don't lose shape like that .

Here's a pre-match Derby County fan forum thread.  A remarkably sane bunch.

From reading it, Waghorn seems to be the one they're hoping will be back for the final.

This has such a strange feeling about it to me.

10 years ago, we beat WBA despite being second best throughout the game. We had been top 2 for much of the season playing a turgid brand of anti-football, and all seemed lost.

More recently, against QPR we were by far the best team on the day, and again, had been likely automatics for much of the season and frankly, deserved promotion. We had walked the semi-final and it was our destiny to win the game.

This time, we were written off by nearly everyone, myself included, months ago - with the final nail in the coffin being Blackburn away. We had an onslaught of must win difficult games to finish the season, we had to do the impossible at ******* Road just to eventually make it... this is so different.

This seems like almost a free-hit against all odds. This season has been magical and as long as we give it our all and don't get cheated out on the day, i'm more ok with a loss than I would've been in previous years.

This team turns up for big games more often than they don't, and they certainly don't know when to call it quits and lie down. 

They're enthusiastic and infectious, they're so relatable to us all, they embody the fans and what it means to be Derby. All the credit in the absolute world to Frank Lampard to understand the city in less than a season, and not just that, instill all of that spirit in a group of players who aren't all permanent Derby players. That's an incredible achievement, regardless of how we eventually end up this season.

Something special has already happened, let's hope we've just got a little bit more special left.

As I said in the preview to the Leeds game, as long as we really go for it and are offensive then we can have no regrets, whether we win or lose. The worst thing would be to feel that we could have played better and didn't give our all.

I re-call Joey Barton saying(might have been in his book as I can't seem to find it on the net), that in the 2014 play off final, the Derby players got complacent and thought they were in control as they were dominating the match so didn't play to their full capability, so much so that it started to get to some of the Derby players' heads because they believed they won after the O'Neil red card , which then gave the QPR players motivation to beat us. Hopefully the humbling defeats against Villa will prevent any complacency. Likewise, we don't want a situation where we are absolutely terrified of Villa and have an inferiority complex like we did v Fulham last season in the play off second leg and the first leg v leeds to extent last week. If we give it our absolute all then we can have no complaints or regrets because I think we all know deep down that Villa are the favourites for this game.

• Thanks 1

Just hope the occasion doesn't get to us. Refuse to think we've made it, Derby are going to be an absolute different beast compared to the last two times we played them. Just hope we have the nerves to play our normal game. Need everyone to give their A game

35 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Am I right in thinking this is the first time since the 2000 FA Cup semi-final that we've gone to Wembley as favourites?

I would say most definitely XD

46 minutes ago, John said:

Wembley here we come! We have not won a final at Wembley since 1996, having lost there in 2010, 2015 and again last year. Its high time that we put that right!  Our record at Wembley in semi finals is better, we lost in 2010, but won in 2000 (on penalties) and again in 2015.

We have beaten Derby at home (4-0) and away (3-0) this season. That doesn’t guarantee that we will win this one, but the fact that we have beaten them so convincingly twice already this season, is unlikely not to play on the minds of our opponents on 27th May. Overall, we have won 70 and have drawn 25 of the 138 games that there have been between the two clubs.

I suspect that many neutrals will be backing Frank Lampard’s Derby on the day. They are the plucky underdogs after all, play such nice football and what a charming chap their manager is. He also had a rather good record against us as a player, but so did John Terry and he will be aiming to put one over his former teammate for a third time this season at Wembley.

The Rams have been absent from the Premier League since 2008. Our own exile from it, began three seasons ago and it needs to end now! We are just one win away from promotion. Our team has managed to put together such a terrific late run to make the playoffs, that it would be just too cruel for it to end in tears of sadness, rather than in tears of joy.

This team has already written their own place in Villa history this season. It deserves to be triumphant on 27th May. The impact on our football club should we not be victorious, is unthinkable. We remember the pain that we endured last year at Wembley only too well. We do not want to experience that again or to see our team having to be broken up, as it was last year. We need to be walking out of Wembley stadium with smiles and grins that will take days to wipe off. I recall how that felt and I want to experience it again, and to see those Villa fans who have yet to feel it soak it in on the day. One more win is all it will take. Just do it for us Villa! 🤞        

I don't really want to remind everyone but you missed the 2000 FA Cup Final in your list. 4 losing finals in a row. 2000, 2010, 2015, and 2018. In 2000 we stunk the place out in the last ever final at the old Wembley. 1 goal in the 4 matches and that was a penalty- Vidic should have got a red.

Its time to put this miserable run to bed.

• Like 2

Yeah, our Wembley record since the 2000 final has just been horrendous, aside from that Liverpool semi-final. Don't forget we got turned over by Chelsea 3-0 in 2010 as well.

We just bottle it basically every time. Although as I said, we've always been the underdogs in these games.

Edited by Mantis

Hoping to get a ticket for this one. I am on the 5pm Saturday group....if there are any left

Seen Villa a few times at Wembley, only ever seen them win once, in 1975 against Norwich LCF, saw them lose 2 - 0 V Spuds 1971 LCF , draw against Everton 0 - 0 1977 LCF and lose against Fulham last year.....it about time they won. I am 61 this year time is running out for me to see Villa win a final....