Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I have said this myself but what are we basing this on exactly? 

When we played them in March they were well above us in the league. Admittedly they were on a poor run and had a couple of their main players out but we were also on a very poor run and missing McGinn and Axel. We didn't just beat them that day we absolutely annihilated them in the first half and then took our foot off the gas in the second half.

When we played them in November they were well above us in the league, on a great run which had recently seen them beat Albion 4-1 and do Sheff Utd 2-1 and just the week before Sha 3-1. They had all their best players starting aside from Mount. We deservedly beat them 3-0 and it could easily of been more.

I am all for us being cautious and not getting carried away but we shouldn't just disregard those results and make out Derby will be a completely different proposition to the side we faced in the regular season. Certainly that team we played at their place was, aside from Mount, as good as they have and we destroyed them.

We have nothing to fear here. Just as Fulham swaggered into the final last season confident that if they played to close to their best they would win so should we this year. We will not get a better opportunity than this and the players have to know that it will be a huge wasted opportunity if they don't win. They can go in with the knowledge that we play to close to our best we have shown we are better than them. Psychologically that must be a boost for us and one we should embrace and feed off.

Both times we played Derby this season they didnt have Mount playing, he is to Derby what Grealish is to us tbh.

I think we do go in to this as slight favourites due to our previous meetings, but if we dont perform at the top of our game we could easily lose it.

Also, its a final, literally anything can happen, and does sometimes.

If we think we have won this before playing, that the single best way to lose, we will have to perform at the top of our game to win i think.

37 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'd be more worried had Leeds been outplayed by them, and I know Derby's play contributed towards what Leeds did BUT ... it was individual errors that cost Leeds.  Fair play to Derby and all, but Leeds shot themselves in both feet.  As stated elsewhere, if we can avoid the silly mistakes (no more Gerrard-esque slips Mr. Whelan) then Derby will have a much tougher time without being handed gifts.  Having said all of that, I completely agree that we need to assume the worst and be ready for the absolute best Derby can throw at us.  At least then we won't get a surprise on the day.

Mount versus Abraham.  Chelsea versus Chelsea for the prize of going up to play ... Chelsea.

Not picking on you but how many individual errors  did we make against the bogies? If we play anywhere as near as poorly as we did Tuesday night derby are capable f punishing us bad.

• Like 1

Whilst I can't bring myself to say we're going to win this - cos superstition - I relax when I think we have Dean Smith in charge. It was good to hear that they'd been practising pens since qualifying, makes me think Smith has got all the bases covered. As with the West Brom game, the one thing I thought could kill us is catastrophic mistakes and that nearly happened with Whelan and in the second leg - so like any game of football we can only prepare well and hope for the best. But my god the pressure in this final is going to be unbelieveable - the money riding on one game of football is insane. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Not picking on you but how many individual errors  did we make against the bogies? If we play anywhere as near as poorly as we did Tuesday night derby are capable f punishing us bad.

We do struggle against teams who just set out to clatter us, but Albion and Leeds proved there is a price to pay.....you consume energy and attract yellow and red cards, when you play like them, passions can run too high and errors get extenuated.

It will be a far more civilised game with Derby and I think you can safely say the best team on the day will win.

Frank talks about having Humility......It isn't a bad attribute to have provided confidence is not traded for it....I think Dean has that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Both times we played Derby this season they didnt have Mount playing, he is to Derby what Grealish is to us tbh.

I think we do go in to this as slight favourites due to our previous meetings, but if we dont perform at the top of our game we could easily lose it.

Also, its a final, literally anything can happen, and does sometimes.

If we think we have won this before playing, that the single best way to lose, we will have to perform at the top of our game to win i think.

I will say it again, its all about initiative, you have to win that.....luck will play its part as it always does.....Fulham showed initiative in the first half at Wembley.

Mount is an important player for them whether he is 7 goals difference, I am not so sure.....but of course that's gone now, Derby have more momentum, than then.....Their Leeds result was cracking.

If we can get 11 players contributing well, we can win.....but they can too......its going to be close, but i don't think it will be controversial, like it could have been with the 2 that's just gone out.....The clatter bros

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, supermon said:

Adomah to come on as a sub to score his final goal.

I'll have what you're having pal 😋

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Does history tell us that? I am not so sure it does and reading your posts I think you may be looking for potential negatives that are not there.

There is no point looking any further back than what these players have shown as what a Villa team did 3, 5 10, 15, 20 years ago has no relevance to this squad.

Recent history shows that over the last 2 and half months we went into almost all of those games knowing we had to win if we were to have any chance of getting into the play offs. We handled that pressure including managing to win after going a goal down away at Sheff Wednesday and a goal and a man down to Rotherham and absolutely annihilating fellow play off contenders and teams above us at that time in Derby and Middlesborough.

Just two games ago we went a goal down against West Brom at home, had them putting every man behind the ball and frustrate us for 70 minutes and still found a way to come out of that game with a win. In the last game we found ourselves in a penalty shoot out after absolutely dominating a team over two games that finished 4th and failing to find a decisive break through. We could have felt we'd blown our chance but we still found it in ourselves to handle the pressure of penalties in a very hostile atmosphere.

Recent history tells us that when the pressure is on we don't bottle it. We embrace it and find a way to win. We all need to have faith in these lads as they have earned it.

very,very good post Mark.....and facts that can't be argued with.

10/10 for the positivity, without crowing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I want Aston Villa to win this final so much......but If we can't I'm glad its going to be Derby and not them other 2 

Yup, I'm originally from around there and I always had a soft spot for them. A likeable club in my eyes.

Steer

Elmo      Axel       Mings     Hause

Whelan

McGinn               Grealish

El Ghazi                                    Kodjia

Abraham

Hit em with that star of David formation :lol: . If we play to our potential, I'd be very confident. Couldn't have asked for better circumstances. Would have been absolutely bricking a Leeds final.

15 hours ago, robby b said:

Haha :D No, not the enemy, I wish them well and was born in Chertsey, though not going to see them on Sunday.

Ah guess you’re a St Peters boy then ?

a rare season when i get to go to Wembley twice in a week to support a team  , 2 wins would be nice 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Steer

Whelan

Abraham

Hit em with that star of David formation :lol: . If we play to our potential, I'd be very confident. Couldn't have asked for better circumstances. Would have been absolutely bricking a Leeds final.

Leeds would of been very difficult, that big pitch with that high press..Not underestimating Derby at all but we have to approach it like Fulham did last year. They were favourites, as we will be. They embraced it, enjoyed the occasion rather than let it consume them and it all fell into place. Preparation is key. We get that right, we'll be ok. On a sidenote, mate of mine, an arsenal fan said he thought Derby and Lampard in particular got massively carried away and were on such a high from the celebrations last night that mentally they might of already reached their Everest. Interesting point. To be neutral , we seemed to enjoy it too though Hourihane and Grealish looked so focused even in the immediate aftermath. Smith was very calm. Lampard and Keogh i thought were very excited , though hey, the way they won etc..to be expected.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Steer

Whelan

Abraham

I really don't understand the hate for Taylor. He's probably been one of the most consistent performers under DS and was a huge part of the winning run we went on. I also think he was one of the better performers over the last two legs along with Elmo. 

I agree with your team but I'd have Taylor at LB, Hourihane in CM and Green at LW.