Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

100x more nervous than last year but this year I believe. This year there is a connection with the team and the manager that was some what missing. This year we could lose Jack, Mings and Tammy. Last year we only really like Snodgrass to care about. This team has personality, this team has given us a season we won't forget for a while, this team work as a team and fight as a team. One more big push, I hope we can do it but anything can happen on the day :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Hourihane is the wrong move in a game this big from the off. He's a good impact off the bench if we need him and never does well in that DM position. He's only of use there when a team is 11 men behind the ball.

I'm sure Smith knows this and will start Whelan.

Why would we want to play the game Infront of our defence? Let's push on and forget how dangerous Derby could be and remember how dangerous we are. Start Hourihane and go for the win rather than worrying about the loss.

To win this game we need to play without fear,  if we dont then Derby, who will play without fear after they beat Leeds , will beat us. UTV

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Why would we want to play the game Infront of our defence? Let's push on and forget how dangerous Derby could be and remember how dangerous we are. Start Hourihane and go for the win rather than worrying about the loss.

To win this game we need to play without fear,  if we dont then Derby, who will play without fear after they beat Leeds , will beat us. UTV

Hourihane cannot play that position unless we are totally on the front foot, it's too much of a risk. He hides from the ball when we need him to start moves and puts pressure on everyone around him by shovelling the ball whichever direction is easiest.

If he had some balls to go and fetch the pass from the defence then it'd be a different story but he hasn't done it under pressure once for us in that deep position. Whelan in.

• Like 1

Derby played well against Leeds at Elland Road, but at home they didn’t play so well. At Leeds they managed to exploit Leeds’ defensive naivety and poor goalkeeping... hopefully something we shouldn’t let them do to us.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, tinker said:

I don't think starting Whelan means we're playing a defensive game, or stops us from pushing on. Some of the most attacking teams in the world play with a DM. It's just about having a better shape and having more composure in the middle. Hourihane is panicky and I question his decision making.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I don't think starting Whelan means we're playing a defensive game, or stops us from pushing on. Some of the most attacking teams in the world play with a DM. It's just about having a better shape and having more composure in the middle. Hourihane is panicky and I question his decision making.

Hourihane offers a threat that Derby need to deal with. We have Grealish and El Gahzi  (who doesn't fully convince me) , McGinn and Tammy ( who for me is carrying his shoulder injury 

Hourihane scores goals and thats what opposition teams fear, don't we all ? Who we we rather line up against? A great defensive midfielder or one that scores goals for fun ? 

Anyhow, nerves are kicking in for me now and I'm glad it's not my choice . UTV 

Some difficult decisions need to be made .Whelan or Hourihane.

How big a threat are Derby?If manager thinks they are a big threat he picks Whelan.In a way it tells us how Worried he is about Derby’s attacking qualities.Who played in the game in March ?

Green Adomah or Kodja ? Kodja has the ability to produce a Savo  moment of genius or he could have no impact and provide no defensive cover.Who would Derby least like to see?Probably Kodja especially with his height at set pieces .

Just some thoughts to keep us thinking during the night.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Hourihane offers a threat that Derby need to deal with. We have Grealish and El Gahzi  (who doesn't fully convince me) , McGinn and Tammy ( who for me is carrying his shoulder injury 

Hourihane scores goals and thats what opposition teams fear, don't we all ? Who we we rather line up against? A great defensive midfielder or one that scores goals for fun ? 

Anyhow, nerves are kicking in for me now and I'm glad it's not my choice . UTV 

Hourihane at DM is not a threat. He's a liability if anything. Play him in behind Tammy with Grealish and AEG either side and Whelan and McGinn double pivot

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It shows we have a very good spine. If we win on Monday, it stands us in good stead for the summer.

Except 3 of them are on loan and will be very difficult to sign permanently, especially when Ole has already said Axel will be part of his squad, and Chelsea can't sign players so will look to integrate Abraham.

Mings is the only one we can realistically sign from those 3.

5 hours ago, tinker said:

I agree.

I think, on balance, if we get into a boxing match, we win.

Whelan playing +60mins since Smith arrived is nicely bookended by both Norwich games. 11 wins 4 draws 5 losses including the period without Jack is pretty decent. He notably only came on late sub in Forest 5-5( I seem to recall a certain someone being all at sea defensively...) and played in the 4-0 demolition of Derby so I don't buy this nonsense that him starting is negative attacking wise

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

I think that if anyone expects an attacking wave from our boys might be very dissapointed. It's a final, and such games very often mean a bit of safety in mind. It's much easier to defend and not concede than to score a goal.

Then again, because both coaches are fairly young (lampard defo, Smith only has a few seasons at this level) maybe the inexperience will make them approach the game a bit more bravely? 

15 hours ago, terrytini said:

Other than the one two with Jack that led to the goal against Rotherham ?

Or the chip against WBA that led to CHs goal ?

Just two off the top of my head.

Whilst I respect everyone’s opinion, I’m not at all sure why players who have been part of a record breaking run and Won a Semi Final are getting criticised, I’m even less sure when the criticism isn’t even fair !

The only two ever in. Villa shirt. On top of your head name the rest? 

I think your being generous trying to give an assist for condors goal that wss grealish!! 😂