Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Waghorn Leghorn is alright. Not too dangerous.

Kiss. Of. Death.

So now we know that if we do lose, it was VLV's fault.

THANKS.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Waghorn Leghorn is alright. Not too dangerous.

He's the one the fans wanted back though.  I've no idea how good he is, but it seems with him as a focal point their shape is better.  He's the actual striker they've been managing without.

On 19/05/2019 at 21:54, Block 510 said:

Thanks for the response.

Completely agree that it’s all down to one game.

I’ve just been providing a bit of balance. A lot of posters here have written us off.

Yes I thought we were done against Leeds and I thought we’d thrown it away when we were 5 points behind Bristol but the fat lady still hasn’t sung.

We are not some little no hoper club. We have been in the playoffs more often than not and faced disappoint on 6 of the previous 7 attempts. We’ve paid our dues in this league. 

But playoff football doesn’t do what’s right or fair. It mostly comes down to who gets the rub of the green and i’m hoping we get it next Monday.

All the best to Villa after the game. Always liked them as a club.

Are you forgetting you are on a Villa forum? Do you expect more Derby bias? Do you expect Derby badges?
Nobody here thinks it's all said and done, we have been through hell and we are looking on the bright side. On... An ASTON VILLA forum.

21 minutes ago, BOF said:

He's the one the fans wanted back though.  I've no idea how good he is, but it seems with him as a focal point their shape is better.  He's the actual striker they've been managing without.

I can see how they would have a better shape with him. But I’m glad they will have this shape and not just do an all out attack like against Leeds. The nothing to lose attitude led to players running with the ball at any opportunity and Leeds couldn’t handle it.

Will be so different on Monday.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

That bench is not going to happen in my view, and rightly.

As for Kodja, I see the argument, but I doubt Smith will. A huge part of our success has been continuity of selection and all that brings with it. Whilst the individual performances of both Green and, in particular, Adomah, have been less than ideal, the overall outcome has been what’s been needed.

He has selected, and will select, one of those 2 to start and the other will in all likelihood be pencilled in to replace them on the hour. 

Kodja has made some impressive appearances from the bench, most notably against Rotherham....but not enough to start a game. Starting means it has to click from the off , as unlike the other two he has no defensive game at all. 

I think the starting line up will contain no surprises, and the same for the Subs Bench. Whelan and Green start  I reckon.

Understand your point but disagree.

Kodj should be starting purely because the other two are so bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not sure about whelo in this one to be honest. I thought he was really poor first leg even excluding the mistake. 

Can we afford a risk of this huge massive game? I'd rather bring him on trying to protect a lead later on in the game. He tends to do really well under those circumstances. 

I think we need him. He might not be the best by any stretch but I think we are a bit imbalanced without him.

Would rather Waghorn wasn't fit just because they seem to want him.

He's a small square man. Pretty nippy, works hard and holds it up well for a short little stumper as he's very strong. Could cause Axel couple of issues, Mings should be alright you'd hope.

We must must must start Whelan.

10 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Talk Sport (I know, I know) did a quick 5-a-side team selection this morning from Villa and Derby players and both Big Sam & Ally McCoist picked 4 out 5 Villa players, I think that in itself shows why we are favourites.

Moving on from that, if I was to pick a starting eleven consisting of players from both clubs (yes, I am extremely bored) I would go; 

Steer (Don't know enough about Roos, but can't be any worse than Carson)

Elmo/Bogle           Tuanzebe      Mings          Malone

Wilson/El Ghazi     McGinn     Grealish    Mount    Lawrence

Abraham  

Not sure what this tells me, and is of course open to opinion, other than we have a strong spine to our team and if those 6 perform to a high standard we should be ok. Is it Monday yet?

It shows we have a very good spine. If we win on Monday, it stands us in good stead for the summer.

• Like 1

I had to turn down tickets this week, they were a pal's debentures but in the Derby end. The day would have been a rush and a compromise but I couldn't face sitting in their end. I am actually dreading the game, there is so much riding on this, it feels much much bigger than last year. I think I am going to lock myself away and watch on my own at home through my fingers.

Got an important client meeting on Tuesday morning so will try and resist going mental if we win.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

All week I am oscillating between feelings of complete terror and excitement.  Please Villa just have a decent cup final for once.  I think I have used up most of my nervous energy in the Albion games already!

We're all the same. I expect the Derby fans are, too.