Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

I really don't know if I'd start Whelan or Connor. I think playing Whelan gives Jack and John more license to attack. 

Connor on the other hand is a match winner. Derby are weak at set pieces. Will we try and exploit that? Too many times this season has he produced a moment of magic to win a game. 

Down to you Dean. 

what's worrying me is that Derby were fantastic at Leeds and we weren't against West Brom, in either of the two matches.

Derby were very poor in the home, didn't even have a shot at goal. And I think at Elland Road Leeds were a shambles. Taking nothing away from Derby though, they went for it and got their rewards in the away game and fair play to them, but I think they're being somewhat overhyped and we're being played down. 

From what I've read, a lot of pundits are backing Derby to beat us. If that isn't motivation for our lads I don't know what is. Yes, Derby are dangerous but we have a more experienced manager and I would say have more threats in the team - there's probably seven or eight players who you wouldn't bet against scoring for us. We weren't great against West Brom but still absolutely dominated both games. We're favourites from this game and the lads need to show why - if they turn up, they should win, we are a very good side when we're on form that's for sure. Scoring the first goal might be key as this bunch of lads are resilient and I don't think they'd implode like Leeds did. That's why turning up from the first minute is hugely important. 

Our recent record at Wembley is bad but you would think it might finally click this year and we get some luck there - the big pitch suits a younger team and we're much younger and full of energy when compared to last season's ageing team. I think our average age is 24 or 25. 

20 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I really don't know if I'd start Whelan or Connor. I think playing Whelan gives Jack and John more license to attack. 

Connor on the other hand is a match winner. Derby are weak at set pieces. Will we try and exploit that? Too many times this season has he produced a moment of magic to win a game. 

Down to you Dean. 

Probably start with Whelan to be on the safe side. 

Talk Sport (I know, I know) did a quick 5-a-side team selection this morning from Villa and Derby players and both Big Sam & Ally McCoist picked 4 out 5 Villa players, I think that in itself shows why we are favourites.

Moving on from that, if I was to pick a starting eleven consisting of players from both clubs (yes, I am extremely bored) I would go; 

Steer (Don't know enough about Roos, but can't be any worse than Carson)

Elmo/Bogle           Tuanzebe      Mings          Malone

Wilson/El Ghazi     McGinn     Grealish    Mount    Lawrence

Abraham  

Not sure what this tells me, and is of course open to opinion, other than we have a strong spine to our team and if those 6 perform to a high standard we should be ok. Is it Monday yet?

12 hours ago, robby b said:

I want to feel quite optimistic but what's worrying me is that Derby were fantastic at Leeds and we weren't against West Brom, in either of the two matches. :s I really hope we attack in the first half much more than we did in the first half of last year's final.

Be optimistic and don’t worry about the opposition and how they or we played in the last game. This one is different from those and is different from last years final.

We have a different team, a different manager and back room staff, a different mind set, a different way of playing.

I would have backed this team in last years final all day long. The same as I am backing them in this years.

We have nothing to fear if our attitude and approach is right and I’m sure it will be.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Talk Sport (I know, I know) did a quick 5-a-side team selection this morning from Villa and Derby players and both Big Sam & Ally McCoist picked 4 out 5 Villa players, I think that in itself shows why we are favourites.

Moving on from that, if I was to pick a starting eleven consisting of players from both clubs (yes, I am extremely bored) I would go; 

Steer (Don't know enough about Roos, but can't be any worse than Carson)

Elmo/Bogle           Tuanzebe      Mings          Malone

Wilson/El Ghazi     McGinn     Grealish    Mount    Lawrence

U                                           Abraham  

Not sure what this tells me, and is of course open to opinion, other than we have a strong spine to our team and if those 6 perform to a high standard we should be ok. Is it Monday yet?

Big Sam and talkshite....pmsl😂😂😂 

UTV

57 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Derby also were very clinical. 4 shots on target 4 goals. I doubt they'll be able to recreate that. Also Leeds for a team that was winning the tie were so so open at the back it was suicide. I just don't know what they were thinking. 

Always harsh when we hit the woodwork twice and it bounces out to the opponents - I know it doesn’t count but it’s rather close to a shot on target or a goal

52 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Down to you Dean. 

You will start whelan mainly to screen your back 4 because our midfielders will be coming and shooting from there 

50 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

what's worrying me is that Derby were fantastic at Leeds and we weren't against West Brom, in either of the two matches.

Derby were very poor in the home, didn't even have a shot at goal. And I think at Elland Road Leeds were a shambles. Taking nothing away from Derby though, they went for it and got their rewards in the away game and fair play to them, but I think they're being somewhat overhyped and we're being played down. 

From what I've read, a lot of pundits are backing Derby to beat us. If that isn't motivation for our lads I don't know what is. Yes, Derby are dangerous but we have a more experienced manager and I would say have more threats in the team - there's probably seven or eight players who you wouldn't bet against scoring for us. We weren't great against West Brom but still absolutely dominated both games. We're favourites from this game and the lads need to show why - if they turn up, they should win, we are a very good side when we're on form that's for sure. Scoring the first goal might be key as this bunch of lads are resilient and I don't think they'd implode like Leeds did. That's why turning up from the first minute is hugely important. 

Our recent record at Wembley is bad but you would think it might finally click this year and we get some luck there - the big pitch suits a younger team and we're much younger and full of energy when compared to last season's ageing team. I think our average age is 24 or 25. 

At home we played Nugent on his own up front he is certainly a nice chap but no starter and goalscorer in the 2nd leg (2nd half of the tie) we started two up front in a totally different formation which Leeds couldn’t cope with ultimately and if it helps all our outfield players have goals to their name this season and not scruffy ones either ( would be nice to have got some scruffy ones) if it helps we are actually a very young team and yes just like villa park our ground is the same size as Wembley - energy won’t be a problem 

Edited by Visiting Ram
Extras

I woke up this morning as if it was any other Friday. Then I checked my instagram and my heart broke inside. For I foresaw we are going to lose on Monday. It is written.

image.png.0127579bd68bf73ead9f02992d56d70f.png

DRAKE CURSED. THE FRIDAY OF THE PLAY OFF FINAL. If you are reading this, it is too late.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Visiting Ram said:

Always harsh when we hit the woodwork twice and it bounces out to the opponents - I know it doesn’t count but it’s rather close to a shot on target or a goal

You will start whelan mainly to screen your back 4 because our midfielders will be coming and shooting from there 

At home we played Nugent on his own up front he is certainly a nice chap but no starter and goalscorer in the 2nd leg (2nd half of the tie) we started two up front in a totally different formation which Leeds couldn’t cope with ultimately and if it helps all our outfield players have goals to their name this season and not scruffy ones either ( would be nice to have got some scruffy ones) if it helps we are actually a very young team and yes just like villa park our ground is the same size as Wembley - energy won’t be a problem 

what you say makes a certain amount of sense, but......

you still haven’t worried me, it’s our year !!!

Just now, imavillan said:

what you say makes a certain amount of sense, but......

you still haven’t worried me, it’s our year !!!

I am not trying to, just giving you some balance because we all ignore things that don’t wear our colours 

Following on from a post I read earlier about average ages of the teams - the team that started at Leeds recently has an average age of 24.5 yrs old but at Wembley we will use Ashley Cole who is 38 so that would change to 25.4 years old

Roos 26

bogle 18 Keogh 32 Tomori 21 Cole 38

Johnson 32

Wilson 22 Mount 20 Holmes 24

Bennett 22 Lawrence 25

thats based on the formation we used at Leeds by the way for information purposes  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Down to you Dean. 

In pages 1-10 I think I said I'd start Whelan. My decision was along the lines of 'not changing a winning formula'. But now I've changed my mind, and I would play Connor.

I think it's literally a 50/50 decision for Deano. Does he chose Whelan for added defensive stability, in case Derby decide to go all guns blazing? Or does he chose Connor for the additional goal threat? I think both have their positives, and therefore it could simply come down to who trains the best in the days leading up to the match.

In Deano we trust!

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

In pages 1-10 I think I said I'd start Whelan. My decision was along the lines of 'not changing a winning formula'. But now I've changed my mind, and I would play Connor.

I think it's literally a 50/50 decision for Deano. Does he chose Whelan for added defensive stability, in case Derby decide to go all guns blazing? Or does he chose Connor for the additional goal threat? I think both have their positives, and therefore it could simply come down to who trains the best in the days leading up to the match.

In Deano we trust!

I agree with you. I've been Whelan biggest supporter. I think he massively underrated. But in games like this it's who wants it more and I think Connor really really wants it. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I agree with you. I've been Whelan biggest supporter. I think he massively underrated. But in games like this it's who wants it more and I think Connor really really wants it. 

It might be that Deano looks at their form during the play-offs too. Whelan was still a good player for us, but it could be that nerves got to him, resulting in his clanger that gave Baggies the lead at Villa Park. Whereas Hourihane was the one that put us into the lead in the same game and smashed a penalty in the 2nd leg.

Following on from a post I read earlier about average ages of the teams - the team that started at Leeds recently has an average age of 24.5 yrs old but at Wembley we will use Ashley Cole who is 38 so that would change to 25.4 years old

Roos 26

bogle 18 Keogh 32 Tomori 21 Cole 38

Johnson 32

Wilson 22 Mount 20 Holmes 24

Bennett 22 Lawrence 25

thats based on the formation we used at Leeds by the way for information purposes 

................................................................................................................................................................................

Age of our team that started against West Brom away:

Steer (26)

Elmo (31), Tuanzebe (21), Mings (26), Taylor (30)

McGinn (24), Grealish (23), Hourihane (28)

Green (20), Abraham (21), El Ghazi (24)

Average age: 24.9

I’d expect the same team against you except maybe Adomah or Kodjia in for Green, which would mean our average age would go up to around 25.9 at most. So both teams are youngish.

I don’t expect Whelan to come in for Hourihane but may be wrong.

It's actually our full backs that are the only players in their 30s in the team that started at West Brom - probably where you're most likely to get at us as well. 

GW or CH is the big call IMO.

Mason Mount is statistically their most creative player and loves the space between the lines as this is where he does most damage from either shooting from distance or passing it through the defence. I'm not one to particularly focus on one player but Smith will surely look to minimise Mount's influence; its not about changing how we play to counter the opposition, more a case of common sense and basic tactical application.

I feel that GW will nullify Mount more than CH would due to his more disciplined play and would cover the area better. GW is actually very good at moving the ball quickly and so I don't believe we would suffer in that regard. Obvs we would miss CH set pieces and left foot but I still believe that is a great weapon to have off the bench if required.

Albion attempted to nullify our best players (JG/JM) and one could argue that it very nearly worked. Now, there is no way that Smith will see this our most over-riding tactic as the Baggies did but I do think he will look to hold that central defensive area, nullifying Mount's impact and freeing up space for JG and JM. Also, Derby will be forced to go wide more often and again this will play into our hands as more space will be available centrally for us to attack and both of our CBs are arguably better at dealing with crosses than through balls to a speedy front man.

• Like 2