hippo

I'm starting to get nervous already!

I hope we start with the experienced players, I'd like to see

Elmo   Tuanzebe   Mings   Taylor

Whelan

McGinn           SuperJack

Adomah                               El Ghazi

Abraham

I think Adomah has got some unjustified stick, had Johnstone not made that super save in the end of the last game Albert would have been the hero. I thought he was below par in the first half in the first semi, but then came out very strong in the second half. He is better defensively than Green and is more reliable going forward. I really like Green, he's got bags of potential, but he is still a kid and needs to improve his decision making. Whelan instead of Hourihane is a no brainer for me. We can't afford a 4-4 Forest showing, or another second half agains WBA where Hourihane shys away when it gets tough. Whelan doesn't shrink to the occation and is a very intelligent footballer, he allows McGinn and SuperJack to roam more freely forward. I'm a bit undecided on Tuanzebe, he looked nervous in the last game and played a couple of headless passes, not the usual calm composed Axel we've used to see. But I don't want to disrupt the defence too much so I'd start him.

If we in the second half need to score we have Kodjia, Hourihane and Green to throw on.

• Like 4

Been travelling last few months so haven't had the time to devote much energy to following us but I've been racked with nerves since the West Brom game and it's getting worse. Such a huge game in terms of keeping our players avoiding any FFP fallout.

Of realistic outcomes this was the dream final, no disrespect to Derby intended, but of course but of course anything can happen on the day. I was toying with putting a bet on Derby to cushion the potential blow but it would have to be £500+ winnings to come close and I'm in no position to be losing close to that money on near future evens odds. So will just have to be a few beers, although 9am KO for me, and plenty of chewed nails I imagine.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm starting to get nervous already!

I hope we start with the experienced players, I'd like to see

Elmo   Tuanzebe   Mings   Taylor

Whelan

McGinn           SuperJack

Adomah                               El Ghazi

Abraham

I think Adomah has got some unjustified stick, had Johnstone not made that super save in the end of the last game Albert would have been the hero. I thought he was below par in the first half in the first semi, but then came out very strong in the second half. He is better defensively than Green and is more reliable going forward. I really like Green, he's got bags of potential, but he is still a kid and needs to improve his decision making. Whelan instead of Hourihane is a no brainer for me. We can't afford a 4-4 Forest showing, or another second half agains WBA where Hourihane shys away when it gets tough. Whelan doesn't shrink to the occation and is a very intelligent footballer, he allows McGinn and SuperJack to roam more freely forward. I'm a bit undecided on Tuanzebe, he looked nervous in the last game and played a couple of headless passes, not the usual calm composed Axel we've used to see. But I don't want to disrupt the defence too much so I'd start him.

If we in the second half need to score we have Kodjia, Hourihane and Green to throw on.

They will habve cole at LB so could ideally do with some pace to cause him trouble, so would probably go with green or kodjia tbh on the right.

Personally ib would also put hause at LB but I get the impression that won't happen.

Another disrupted night sleep ahead.Whelan or Hourihane ?Green or Adomah?Jack or Henri ?

This has been a painful time.Some worrying thoughts come into my head .We have conceded the first goal for the last 4 games.

The first goal in this game is going to be vital.We are going to be more nervous than Derby because we have greater expectation and more pressure.Although many in the media are tipping Derby and Lamards rise is a great story and this may help us.

An early goal could settle us and allow to to play to our potential.I can see a scrappy goal from a corner in my imagination.

I can also see Mount or Wilson scoring a screamer from 30 yards but I am trying to forget those images.

Another disrupted night sleep ahead.Whelan or Hourihane ?Green or Adomah?Jack or Henri ?

This has been a painful time.Some worrying thoughts come into my head .We have conceded the first goal for the last 4 games.

The first goal in this game is going to be vital.We are going to be more nervous than Derby because we have greater expectation and more pressure.Although many in the media are tipping Derby and Lamards rise is a great story and this may help us.

An early goal could settle us and allow to to play to our potential.I can see a scrappy goal from a corner in my imagination.

I can also see Mount or Wilson scoring a screamer from 30 yards but I am trying to forget those images.

What team do you think is the strongest, this year's or the team that started last year's final?

Johnstone - Elmo, Terry, Chester, Hutton - Snodgrass, Hourihane, Jedinak, Grealish, Adomah - Grabban

At least I feel in a more positive mood and am confident we will play better football from the start!

3 hours ago, ben1505 said:

What’s people’s predictions for the game. I’m going for a 2-1 nervy win. It’ll depend which Aston Villa turn up?

4:1 to the Villa

But my lad tells me its been years since this fixture was won by more than 1:0

5 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

What team do you think is the strongest, this year's or the team that started last year's final?

Johnstone - Elmo, Terry, Chester, Hutton - Snodgrass, Hourihane, Jedinak, Grealish, Adomah - Grabban

At least I feel in a more positive mood and am confident we will play better football from the start!

Interesting to see the difference in the two sides. What an old side last year's was by comparison.

• Like 1

Interesting stat I read on sky sports. 14 of the last 15 teams to score first in the championship playoff final have gone on to win. And as people have pointed out, this fixture has been won by one goal more often than not. First goal seems vital.

7 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think the level of quality in last year’s eleven is largely similar to this year’s. Steer vs Johnstone, Terry & Chester vs Mings & Tuanzebe, Taylor vs Hutton. Those are all pretty even match-ups. I’d pick McGinn over Jedinak and Tammy over Grabban, but other than that, I’d say our team is a pretty close match to last year’s.

The main difference is the quality of the man in charge! If Smith was in charge in last year’s final, we’d have done better. If Bruce was in charge of us right now, we’d be fearing a game of 70% Derby possession.

This year’s team would beat last year’s team, just like Smith’s attacking Brentford team always beat Bruce’s ‘pull up your socks and do your best’ Villa team.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

If Smith was in charge in last year’s final, we’d have done better. If Bruce was in charge of us right now, we’d be on our holidays a long time ago.

Ftfy

53 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Interesting stat I read on sky sports. 14 of the last 15 teams to score first in the championship playoff final have gone on to win. And as people have pointed out, this fixture has been won by one goal more often than not. First goal seems vital.

I can’t argue with that statistic but this game maybe different based on the season I have witnessed ————- we generally let a goal in against anyone but I must say we have come back to win impressively at lots of places like Man United Southampton Norwich Leeds as well as several others, my main point being that I wouldn’t expect our lot to give up or stop believing at any point. - there could be several goals in this one 

• Like 1