Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The GK potential signing seems to be a strange one this window. For every other position so far we seem to have a plan worked out and get someone signed. GK we haven’t seemed to be so decisive. 

Of course that’s just going on media links and could have no basis in reality. We could have clearly identified one or two we want but it’s taking time to get them. We’re hardly likely to comment on idle press speculation, especially as it may be a useful smoke screen. 

I don't think we've been indecisive. I just think we know that goalkeeper is the one position that can wait. A goalkeeper could be bought on deadline day and could slot perfectly into the team without upsetting anything (except for the previous keeper!)

It's not like an outfield position where pre-season is vital for learning how your teammates play and how the manager wants you to play.

I'm still expecting us to sign Butland, and I think all of these other links are just pushing Stoke to lower their asking price.

• Like 2

Now is the time for optimism and hope.  Reality will no doubt come and bite at some point, but for now we've done exciting business and done it early enough to give the new squad time to gel.  We are pretty much under the radar with little expectation outside of the club. 

We haven't lost anyone we want to keep - on and off field.    Team spirit is strong.  Supporters seem to be united behind the team and management for the first time in years.  We have committed (and rich) owners.  

How many other clubs are in this position?  Only really City and Liverpool.

So, yeah - it's going to be tough come August and might still go horribly wrong, but for the next few weeks at least I'm going to dare to dream that this could be the next stage of something great happening and our club marching back to where we belong among the elite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, 1Elliot said:

That it is.

Another South West Villain too !!

Yes, moved from Brum 3 years ago, so will largely be relying on Media for matches. Might get the chance to go, if the son-in-law gives me his season ticket occasionally.

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

It seems the steady on now realistic brigade have the morning shift. Cheers guys. 40 points should definitely. Be the target.

By Christmas...

It's Friday, its summer. We're putting an awesome squad together thats going to attack, attack, attack and surprise more than a few teams this season.

And when we pull 10 points clear in 1st then Bet365 will pay out Premier League Winner bets early!

19 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I keep seeing and hearing references to our fans "turning". I think this is bollocks. We're no more militant or expectant than any others.

As long as we can see progress, an attempt to compete and effort, I think we'll be as patient and tolerant and balanced as we've always been. There's always a few exceptions. 

On here, mostly yes.

On Facebook and Twitter, forget it. 

Word salad idiocy.

I really don’t believe there will be a sense of negativity or fans turning. This is a completely new situation for us, we haven’t had a competent manager/coach (and coaching team) and set of players that have played attacking, forward thinking football for yonks. The fans will be patient as long as the players are trying to play football and continue putting the effort in. As long as we don’t just sit back and defend I think we will will be patient, if necessary.

Looking back, any negativity from fans came over performances more than results. Also, think of the bad/disruptive/unprofessional characters we’ve had in the past, who have angered and frustrated us all, we’ve managed to clear the whole lot of them out!

We've scouted & targeted players based on character and personality as well as ability and not just focused on stats etc. Just look at Wesley for example, he appears to demand the best from his teammates and he’s only just arrived.

I believe the majority of us are fairly sensible, realistic and have our heads screwed on. Nothing wrong with hope, enthusiasm and even ambition though. We can dream of achieving more...

Basically, we are not going to see defensive, long ball tactics and turgid football. That’s what has drained us over the recent years watching Villa, we haven’t had a style or been entertaining at all. That’s all changed now, mainly with the coach (and his team) that we have and the players we are bringing in. Or that’s, at the very least, what we are attempting to do.

Also, there is a genuine affection for (and great relationship with) Deano & the players - again, something we haven’t had for ages. So many shite, disconnected, negative managers and players over the years. That period is finally over...

I’m sure we will stand by Deano and he will continue to impress us and gain even more admiration.

Ok, we may be on the end of a few thrashings, from the big boys in particular (there is obviously a massive gap there, unfortunately money dictates everything in the modern game) but we will be going out to give it a go in every single game. We haven’t had that approach in ages and have had to suffer and tolerate some real dross and utterly turgid excuse for football. 

I’m really excited and can’t see why any genuine fan wouldn’t be. I just think we’ve finally “got it right” at the club in all/most areas. At last!

UTV

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

SIGN ALL ZE PLAYERS...

SPEND ALL DE MONIES...

WIN ALL THE TROPHIES...

Morning all!     :D

Ciao amigo Rigo, is a very beautiful day for to winna all of ze footsocca game. Forza Villa!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Knutserov13 said:

Anything new on the Leao bid?

No. Not since my last update that everyone was just waiting for the player to make his mind up which is soon I was told. Apparantly hanging on to see who else entered the bidding for him.

Just a waiting game really.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

30 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He has never actually been wrong about Villa, even going back to Charlie Adam he noticed then we were on the decline (or at least guessed at it and turned out to be bang on). We just haven't liked what he has had to say. 

I know people who have met him and he truly is a stand up individual. Humble, charismatic, funny. Everything you would expect. 

What about when he said that Ross McCormack is so good that he could play with Messi and Ronaldo? Or predicted that we'd get relegated from the Championship in our first season down there?

The dislike started because he needlessly took a swipe at Villa, why? Just because we were interested in signing one of their players? ..and predicting our decline? Didn't he call us a 'half-arsed club' back when Houllier was in charge. We survived the drop for another 3-4 seasons after that didn't we?

The man's an arse.

(Although, on this occasion, he has spoken sense. In my opinion, it's because he was on the show the other week when Dan Bardell wen't on and explained why we're not 'doing a Fulham'. If they'd have asked him his opinion prior to that call, I imagine he'd have been as wrong as the rest of them).

54 minutes ago, supermon said:

Just caught the first part of a chat about our spending spree on Talksport with Ian Holloway speaking.  They picked up on Sam Allardyce's comments and Holloway was actually pretty level headed in his speech.  Mentioned that the business we have done was shrewd, identifying 3 were previous loan players, that Jota had worked with Deano and dismissed the Fulham comparison, mentioning that Fulham spent without the managers consent.  Fair play to him

He used to hate us, but since the 5-5 with Forest he's completely changed his tune. He was commenting for Talksport and was absolutely loving us, he was so excited he could hardly speak. Since then he's praised Dean Smith repeatedly and said Grealish "Is as smooth as a glass of Bailey's being poured over the ice at Christmas." Glad they had someone on too stick it to Allardyce the bloke was spouting so much tripe, and clearly hadn't a clue about why were buying in so many players. How anyone can compare us to Fulham is beyond me.

Edited by The Other Mat
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I really don’t believe there will be a sense of negativity or fans turning. This is a completely new situation for us, we haven’t had a competent manager/coach (and coaching team) and set of players that have played attacking, forward thinking football for yonks. The fans will be patient as long as the players are trying to play football and continue putting the effort in. As long as we don’t just sit back and defend I think we will will be patient, if necessary.

Looking back, any negativity from fans came over performances more than results. Also, think of the bad/disruptive/unprofessional characters we’ve had in the past, who have angered and frustrated us all, we’ve managed to clear the whole lot of them out!

We've scouted & targeted players based on character and personality as well as ability and not just focused on stats etc. Just look at Wesley for example, he appears to demand the best from his teammates and he’s only just arrived.

I believe the majority of us are fairly sensible, realistic and have our heads screwed on. Nothing wrong with hope, enthusiasm and even ambition though. We can dream of achieving more...

Basically, we are not going to see defensive, long ball tactics and turgid football. That’s what has drained us over the recent years watching Villa, we haven’t had a style or been entertaining at all. That’s all changed now, mainly with the coach (and his team) that we have and the players we are bringing in. Or that’s, at the very least, what we are attempting to do.

Also, there is a genuine affection for (and great relationship with) Deano & the players - again, something we haven’t had for ages. So many shite, disconnected, negative managers and players over the years. That period is finally over...

I’m sure we will stand by Deano and he will continue to impress us and gain even more admiration.

Ok, we may be on the end of a few thrashings, from the big boys in particular (there is obviously a massive gap there, unfortunately money dictates everything in the modern game) but we will be going out to give it a go in every single game. We haven’t had that approach in ages and have had to suffer and tolerate some real dross and utterly turgid excuse for football. 

I’m really excited and can’t see why any genuine fan wouldn’t be. I just think we’ve finally “got it right” at the club in all/most areas. At last!

UTV

Spot on and don't we all deserve it!

5 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

He used to hate us, but since the 5-5 with Forest he's completely changed his tune. He was commenting for Talksport and was absolutely loving us, he was so excited he could hardly speak. Since then he's praised Dean Smith repeatedly and said Grealish "Is as smooth as a glass of Bailey's being poured over the ice at Christmas." Glad they had someone on too stick it to Allardyce the bloke was spouting so much tripe, and clearly hadn't a clue about why were buying in so many players. How anyone can compare us to Fulham is beyond me.

It’s not that difficult to see why people with little specific interest in us would compare us with Fulham.

Both playoff winners, both spent a lot of money on a lot of players.

For all we know we could end up just like Fulham. I don’t think we will but it would be daft to rule it out before a balls been kicked.

whilst we were beating Shrewsbury 1-0 spurs were beating juventus, that’s the step up in quality we’re going to be contending with in two or three weeks time. 

Now personally, I actually think we’ll get a result against spurs, but I can’t ignore the reality of the situation.

• Like 1