Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Best transfer window since ash young and Carew signed.. probably BETTER.

It's been unbelievable quite honestly, and I just hope that, whatever the result at spurs, the fans stay firmly behind the team. 

I've got whiplash trying to keep up with these signings. Unbelievable. And it looks like we've not finished! I'm giddy.

It's nice to know that if we are struggling near the bottom of the table come the new year, our owners will probably splash so serious cash to plug any leaks. Honestly, I think we're up to stay for a long, long time.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t think we will. We’ve invested a lot of money to give ourselves a chance of survival really, but it’s still a big task to get everyone integrated and working well together from day one.

Finishing 17th would be absolutely fine. Setting expectations as to be finishing at least 9th in our first season back is just asking for disappointment. 

I think we'll finish higher than 9th actually. European places

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

"Avoiding relegation would be a massive achievement for Villa this season."

Don't understand why that's unreasonable. I completely agree whoever wrote that. 

People need to get a bit realistic. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think we'll finish higher than 9th actually. European places

Hence my post saying “at least”. It’s a crazy expectation.

Could it happen? Yes. Is it likely? Nope. 

• Like 2

Interesting read .... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49099670

Researchers at University of Manchester have crunched the data to reveal how long it takes players arriving in the Premier League from other European leagues to find their form.

They looked back at in-depth performance data spanning several seasons for players moving between the continent's six top leagues. For each player they assessed how those indicators were affected by their transfer to a new club.

The bad news for forwards from Dutch and French clubs is that they took the longest to adjust, playing an average of 18 games before they reached their previous level.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Survival this season is good. Finishing somewhere around 14th is great. Finishing top half would be excellent.

Honestly some of the teams in the PL are junk. Newcastle has Bruce. Wolves have Europe. Everton look to have lost Gueye and probably Zouma. Palace will suck if they lose Zaha. I think some teams will regress. I'm really supremely confident with a couple more additions if we got say Butland and another quality striker

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Honestly some of the teams in the PL are junk. Newcastle has Bruce. Wolves have Europe. Everton look to have lost Gueye and probably Zouma. Palace will suck if they lose Zaha. I think some teams will regress. I'm really supremely confident with a couple more additions if we got say Butland and another quality striker

Dont go crazy with the expectation..I think 9th is unrealistic at this stage as many have never played PL football. I think staying up is the main goal anything above 17th is a bonus for me.this year.

• Like 2

We are essentially buying a new team and expect them to gel in the space of 2-4 weeks, while competing in arguably the least forgiving and most competitive football league in the world. I think people talking about anything, but a survival campaign are being slightly too ambitious. 

We got promoted  by a play off and weren't even the 3rd or 4th best team in the championship. We lost the core of the team, and while we recovered some loans, Axel and Tammy are still not here, so new relations have to be built. It's imperative we don't walk into this season thinking we are in for anything but a fight to stay out of relegation. 

• Like 4

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

We are essentially buying a new team and expect them to gel in the space of 2-4 weeks, while competing in arguably the least forgiving and most competitive football league in the world. I think people talking about anything, but a survival campaign are being slightly too ambitious. 

We got promoted  by a play off and weren't even the 3rd or 4th best team in the championship. We lost the core of the team, and while we recovered some loans, Axel and Tammy are still not here, so new relations have to be built. It's imperative we don't walk into this season thinking we are in for anything but a fight to stay out of relegation. 

I agree to an extent. But smith didnt take long to implement his style when he first arrived.

It will take a bit of time with so many newbies but I think once they click this team has bags of potential.

I certainly think we have a better chance of staying up ahead of Norwich and Sheffield United.

• Like 1

Survival is the key and it will be tough at times saying that the mid table is so compact that we conceivably finish in 9th/10th just like the Houillier season if we finish the season strong . No expectations just gunna enjoy it no matter what ..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I certainly think we have a better chance of staying up ahead of Norwich and Sheffield United.

You see, I don't think so. 

Spending money on players does not equate to getting a good football team. I am hopeful Smith gets it right, but at the moment I am certain we are miles behind them. They were the better teams in the championship, they by large could keep their core of players and relations intact and have some what added to that core with quality. At the moment I'd say the realistic person will have them in a better position than us. 

But that's an interesting point actually, what does the betting companies say about this? What's the respective odds for survival for the respective teams mentioned here?