Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

57 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If we pulled this off plus Butland it would be the best summer transfer window ever. 

We won't be paying 80m euros, 40m would have been a lot for us at this point. We can probably get Butland and Malpay for half that. Let's do just that, shall we? 😉

Edited by John
  • Like 2

According to my source we were among the first clubs to enquire about him,the italian clubs interest came later and wolves were the latest team to enquire

Wolves have cooled their interest in leao as well after winning the race to sign cutrone

Edited by OLDVILLAIN

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that we are not signing leao, as good as it would be I don't think he fits the profile and would cost too much. Would make sense we enquired, surely the ship has sailed though. 

Wolves are close to getting Cutrone from AC and have Jota & Jimenez already. Everton want Zaha & Moise Kean. Valencia have signed Maxi Gomez and have Rodrigo. Inter want Lukaku. AC want a striker from Athletico and have FFP issues. And villa have Wesley, Kodija & Hogan ( I personally don’t want Maupay) it will come down to wages and career prospects or more likely where Mendez wants him to go . Fully expect us not to get but whilst there is a tiny glimmer of hope #announceleao 😂

Edited by thabucks

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He has never actually been wrong about Villa, even going back to Charlie Adam he noticed then we were on the decline (or at least guessed at it and turned out to be bang on). We just haven't liked what he has had to say. 

I know people who have met him and he truly is a stand up individual. Humble, charismatic, funny. Everything you would expect. 

Wasn't it Holloway who predicted we'd finish 16th or something in our first season in the Championship?  A lot of abuse followed for him (of course it did).

We finished a mighty 13th.

5 hours ago, John said:

I'm confident that we will finish above at least three of them and that's our target until we reach 40 points. Actually, I think that we could finish above eight of them, but let's not set our sights too high just yet. It's better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed because we have set too high a target for our first season back.

Survival is our primary objective until it's mathematically certain, we can start looking further up the table once that has been achieved. 

As Cartman once said "Whatever, I do what I want." I thought Bruce was garbage before he joined. Disliked MON probably before he signed Heskey. Was one of the near 50% on here that thought Petrov was below bang average well before he got sick and it was inappropriate to say a bad word about him. I refuse to back down from my unbounded optimism I have for this team and the signings under the best manager for me since Gregory and I think Smith will be better

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Norwich have signed 11 players, just because they haven’t spent any real money doesn’t mean they won’t have trouble getting them to gel. Media seem to keep talking about us signing a lot of players, but they’ve signed more.

It's only relevant because of the cost, though.  If we had only spent £30m at this moment, there would be zero "doing a Fulham" comparisons.

I think the "doing a Fulham" comparison is a myth, I've seen it referenced so many times and every time people are knocking it and saying it's a bad comparison to make. Without anyone actually making it in the first place 

I'm quietly optimistic about this season. Yes we're newly promoted and we'd have to consider survival a success, but I look at the league and the bottom third is straight trash. Put them in the Championships last year and we wouldn't fear them, so why should we when we're in the PL now and strengthened significantly? Also a lot of people seem to be sleeping on Leicester. They're my pick to break into the top 6 this season.

• Thanks 1

Cardiff were accused of not spending enough, same with Huddersfield in their final season, Fullham at least tried although there was a major disconnect in how they did it. I hope Dean is fully invested in the recruitment process and has a plan on how to deploy these players.

15 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I think the "doing a Fulham" comparison is a myth, I've seen it referenced so many times and every time people are knocking it and saying it's a bad comparison to make. Without anyone actually making it in the first place 

Nah, it started out as a genuine comparison that people were making. It's since become received wisdom that it's a stupid comparison. Bit like how everyone* said Sterling was England's worst player in the World Cup, and now everyone* says he's our best player. Most people don't have opinions, they just borrow them off other people.

* obviously not everyone, before the pedants jump in

Edited by KentVillan

50 minutes ago, John said:

We won't be paying 80m euros, 40m would have been a lot for us at this point. We can probably get Butland and Malpay for half that. Let's do just that, shall we? 😉

80m was for Pepe, not Leao.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Other Mat said:

He used to hate us, but since the 5-5 with Forest he's completely changed his tune. He was commenting for Talksport and was absolutely loving us, he was so excited he could hardly speak. Since then he's praised Dean Smith repeatedly and said Grealish "Is as smooth as a glass of Bailey's being poured over the ice at Christmas." Glad they had someone on too stick it to Allardyce the bloke was spouting so much tripe, and clearly hadn't a clue about why were buying in so many players. How anyone can compare us to Fulham is beyond me.

Holloway is a knob. He’s put the boot into us all the time we were on the slide. Now someone has spelt out to him that we’re on the way up and he’s all over us like a nasty rash. 

There are plenty of others that have kicked us when we were down who will be fawning all over the gaff now they think the good times are back.

There’s an old saying, “Success has many fathers, but failure is always a bastard.” Feck ‘em, we may forgive but we should never forget. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Wolves are close to getting Cutrone from AC and have Jota & Jimenez already. Everton want Zaha & Moise Kean. Valencia have signed Maxi Gomez and have Rodrigo. Inter want Lukaku. AC want a striker from Athletico and have FFP issues. And villa have Wesley, Kodija & Hogan ( I personally don’t want Maupay) it will come down to wages and career prospects or more likely where Mendez wants him to go . Fully expect us not to get but whilst there is a tiny glimmer of hope #announceleao 😂

Conte wants Lukaku, the club are unlikely to pay the asking price though as they think it's a bit much. Inter are looking for an experienced goal scorer and a young striker with potential.  

7 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Cardiff were accused of not spending enough, same with Huddersfield in their final season, Fullham at least tried although there was a major disconnect in how they did it. I hope Dean is fully invested in the recruitment process and has a plan on how to deploy these players.

I think the plan came first and the recruitment matched it.  I reckon Dean is happy as **** with the squad we've built.

23 minutes ago, skarroki said:

i've seen a number of pundits making the comparison, but oddly none comparing us to wolves, who signed more players last summer than fulham did

38 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that we are not signing leao, as good as it would be I don't think he fits the profile and would cost too much. Would make sense we enquired, surely the ship has sailed though. 

If his value doubles in 2 years, its actually sensible. We don't appear to be short of a ton of gold here or there either.

• Haha 1