Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, Ponky said:

Well, whether we surprise everyone or fail dismally, I suspect that this time next year all the pundits will be talking about newly promoted teams "doing a Villa". 

That will make a change from doing a Leicester. Perhaps we will repeat Sir Alf's Ipswich and go up and win it at the first opportunity! 😃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Knutserov13 said:

Why dont we reveal the length of the contract when we sign players?

I think I saw something said it was related to new data protection regulations. Might be wrong.

We shouldn’t be fearful going into the season. Man City & Liverpool aside there isn’t any team that anyone should be fearful of. Spurs lost 13 games on their way to 4th. THIRTEEN. Man Utd & Arsenal lost 10. Chelsea lost 8 on their way to 3rd. 

Whilst not allowing ourselves to get carried away with how comfortable it might be, we also shouldn’t allow ourselves to build in too much fear of what lies ahead. What we don’t know is how some of our new players take to Premier League football. We could easily do what Wolves achieved last season if pre-season promise and optimism converts to Premier League performance. If we can go and get what is clearly a substantial upgrade at GK and add a CF then we should be in for a very decent season, free from relegation concerns. That’s just my opinion. Anything is possible with the right approach.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

I wouldn't exactly say our squad is ageing, we only have 3 players over 26 in our main squad that regularly play (Schmeichel, Evans, Vardy), Vardy isn't really slowing down at all, and we have some of the more exciting youth talents in the country (Chilwell, Barnes, Choudhury, Maddison etc.) and Maguire isn't that much of a loss, Evans was our best defender last season (he is really over hyped from his England performances)

Luckily the squad really get on well with Rodgers and his system is suitable for the players, we were one of the top performers in the league after Rodgers came in

I am looking forward to seeing how you lot do this season, I have to admit I always worry about teams who bring in a lot of transfers when they come back up, but with signing players who have played for the manager before or played together before, it makes it a lot easier for them to settle in, I do expect you will finish somewhere in the 10th to 15th range as there are stronger teams than you in the league (Leicester, Everton, Wolves, West Ham), but you never know, you could be this seasons surprise package.

Nothing against Leicester as I lived there a while back and I am looking forward to resuming banter with my friends who are fellow foxes.

My worry with Rodgers is that he always starts well (Apart from at Watford I think) but it goes downhill fast.  He is like a snake oil salesman that gets you at first until you realise he is full of it.  Add to that the one Brendan loves is Brendan.  He lasted a few years at Celtic as there was no real competition.

With the player power that exists at Leicester the past few years, has that been slowly erased as you have sold your older players?

39 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

I wouldn't exactly say our squad is ageing, we only have 3 players over 26 in our main squad that regularly play (Schmeichel, Evans, Vardy), Vardy isn't really slowing down at all, and we have some of the more exciting youth talents in the country (Chilwell, Barnes, Choudhury, Maddison etc.) and Maguire isn't that much of a loss, Evans was our best defender last season (he is really over hyped from his England performances)

Luckily the squad really get on well with Rodgers and his system is suitable for the players, we were one of the top performers in the league after Rodgers came in

I am looking forward to seeing how you lot do this season, I have to admit I always worry about teams who bring in a lot of transfers when they come back up, but with signing players who have played for the manager before or played together before, it makes it a lot easier for them to settle in, I do expect you will finish somewhere in the 10th to 15th range as there are stronger teams than you in the league (Leicester, Everton, Wolves, West Ham), but you never know, you could be this seasons surprise package.

I think NIVillan was getting a little too excited. You never know how it is going to play out until we get into the season proper. We are currently behind the likes of Everton, Leicester, Watford & Wolves right now. For how long I can't say 😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John said:

That will make a change from doing a Leicester. Perhaps we will repeat Sir Alf's Ipswich and go up and win it at the first opportunity! 😃

Or Brian Clough's Forest

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You see, I don't think so. 

Spending money on players does not equate to getting a good football team. I am hopeful Smith gets it right, but at the moment I am certain we are miles behind them. They were the better teams in the championship, they by large could keep their core of players and relations intact and have some what added to that core with quality. At the moment I'd say the realistic person will have them in a better position than us. 

But that's an interesting point actually, what does the betting companies say about this? What's the respective odds for survival for the respective teams mentioned here?

Norwich and sheefield were not better teams than us in the championship they were better teams than Steve Bruce's villa and a villa without grealish. With Grealish we were better than them and we rested players against Norwich but we still dominated the game. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

I'd definitely take that. I saw quite a bit of Leicester last season and they play very good football and have some very good players. Tielemans is a great addition too and he has already settled in thanks to his loan spell. I'd be shocked if we got near Everton, Leicester, Watford or Wolves. I am hoping we will finish the best of the rest. I'd take survival right now as I know we can kick on massively next season because of who we are, the size and importantly our owners. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will try and see if I can find the original article as they will have just taken it from elsewhere. 8 Clubs is a lot of competition if we are actually interested. Imagine he's exaggerating to drum up bigger bids but if that's the case you'd imagine Italy is his preferred destination if they are highlighting competition from other Italian clubs

Edited by HalfTimePost

Just now, omariqy said:

I'd definitely take that. I saw quite a bit of Leicester last season and they play very good football and have some very good players. Tielemans is a great addition too and he has already settled in thanks to his loan spell. I'd be shocked if we got near Everton, Leicester, Watford or Wolves. I am hoping we will finish the best of the rest. I'd take survival right now as I know we can kick on massively next season because of who we are, the size and importantly our owners. 

I agree with that except Watford - they're not at the same level as Everton, Leicester or Wolves. If our players gel we could quite feasibly finish near them or even above them. 

Leicester signing Tielemans was a masterstroke of a signing, that guy is gonna be one hell of a player. And Perez adds to an already decent attack - good business overall. I think Leicester have a great chance of challenging top 6 next season even if Maguire goes. 

Everton and Wolves haven't done much business yet, apart from signing their loan players, but are being linked to some decent targets. 

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I agree with that except Watford - they're not at the same level as Everton, Leicester or Wolves. If our players gel we could quite feasibly finish near them or even above them. 

Leicester signing Tielemans was a masterstroke of a signing, that guy is gonna be one hell of a player. And Perez adds to an already decent attack - good business overall. I think Leicester have a great chance of challenging top 6 next season even if Maguire goes. 

Everton and Wolves haven't done much business yet, apart from signing their loan players, but are being linked to some decent targets. 

Therein lies the big unknown.

There is no doubting we are putting together an impressive squad.

Until the season gets going nobody will know for sure what sort of team they will make but that is where Dean & his team earn their corn & I think they will surprise a fair few this season !!

9 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Will try and see if I can find the original article as they will have just taken it from elsewhere. 8 Clubs is a lot of competition if we are actually interested

If we pulled this off plus Butland it would be the best summer transfer window ever. 

Norwich have signed 11 players, just because they haven’t spent any real money doesn’t mean they won’t have trouble getting them to gel. Media seem to keep talking about us signing a lot of players, but they’ve signed more.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Will try and see if I can find the original article as they will have just taken it from elsewhere. 8 Clubs is a lot of competition if we are actually interested. Imagine he's exaggerating to drum up bigger bids but if that's the case you'd imagine Italy is his preferred destination if they are highlighting competition from other Italian clubs

8 interested, 4 have bids lodged. (Napoli was the 4th club who was supposed to have tabled a bid, but hard to see them wanting both Laeo & Pepe??)

AC Milan, Inter Milan, Valencia, Everton, Aston Villa, Juventus, Napoli, Wolves are the 8 clubs "interested".

Not long now though...

Edited by AvfcRigo82

47 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

🤞🤞🤞🤞

He could go to Italy and get racially abused (sweeping stereotypical  generalisation) or he could join the founding fathers of modern football🤔🤔  

its not happening is it ? ! Maupay it will be then . 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Was it this that the Mail are running with today?  🤔

Wolves target 'to decide future' with €40m bids lodged - reports

Nuno Espirito Santo is a keen admirer of the Portuguese poacher.

By Ashley Preece.

Wolves target Rafael Leao is set to decide on his future this weekend, according to reports.

The rapid striker has been sought after all summer by a host of clubs, with Nuno Espirito Santo a keen admirer.

Leao took Ligue 1 by storm and averaged a goal every two games for Lille, firing Les Dogues to a second-placed finish.

The 20-year-old arrived on a free transfer from Sporting Lisbon last summer and Lille look set to make a hefty profit.

According to reports, offers in the region of €40m (£35.8m) have been tabled. Wolves' Premier League rivals Everton and Aston Villa have been linked with the Portuguese while Napoli and Valencia are both keen on taking the front man.

Gerard Lopez, the Lille president, has said that as many as eight clubs want Leao's signature and reports state the young striker will make up his mind whether to stay or leave Lille over the weekend.

Nothing new..