Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

All I can say for definite is that there's no way we finish below a Steve Bruce side, and there's no reason to particularly fear burnley, bournemouth, palace, leicester, norwich, sheff united, southampton, watford or west ham either. That's not to say we're a given to finish above them all, far from it, but we can go in pretty confident we have a squad well equipped to take them on.

Of course we can.  We could easily finish below Newcastle.  There's no reason for us to fear any of the aforementioned, but there's no reason for any of them to fear us either.  It's a scrap for the bottom half of the table, basically.

(Although I'd argue that Leicester, Watford and West Ham are significantly stronger than us tbh).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

If we finish 17th I obviously would be happy to survive but I think the owners and Purslow would be dismayed at that! 

Would they sack Dean Smith if we are sat bottom of table come Christmas, course they would. 

Dont think they would sack Smith so long as we survive the prem this season. Next season however if he didnt progress a sacking could happen, i feel though that the main aim here which is to have a progressing team, so long as we're moving along at a steady pace there is no reason to sack anyone.

Realistically if we're climbing that table season after season, wouldn't that be classed as success and wouldn't it be crazy to sack a Coach who has brought your club all the way here and is carry on the job in a way that is being progressive.

If Smith were to get sacked of something like that, what Coach or manager out there could Guarentee better, there isn't any guarentees and that's why I think our owners are smart enough to realise that. So long as Smith doesn't go and destroy what he's built and we start heading for the exit door back to the championship I feel our Owners would be more than happy to give Smith time to get it right in the premier.

We went through this before we snuck in the playoffs when people were questioning whether Smith should be in the job any longer all because we went on abit of a bad run, we need to stick with someone for once rather than throw Smith to the side all because things go abit bad.

Fergie wasn't a hit straight away in the prem, didn't he get man Utd nearly relegated in his first season, went on a big run of losses and nearly got sacked but the chiefs at man u decided to stick with him. Low and behold look what happened when they took a chance on fergie, best manager the prem has ever seen, we could have something similar, the next Fergie here is to hoping that's true in Smith, time will tell.

Edited by Dave-R

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Of course we can.  We could easily finish below Newcastle.  There's no reason for us to fear any of the aforementioned, but there's no reason for any of them to fear us either.  It's a scrap for the bottom half of the table, basically.

(Although I'd argue that Leicester, Watford and West Ham are significantly stronger than us tbh).

Of course, but at this moment there's no reason not to dream for a bit. We will have down days and rubbish performances as well as some ill luck ( though hopefully less of that with VAR) and it's far from guaranteed all the players hit the ground running. And whilst technically we can finish 20th with barely any points, I think that is sufficiently unlikely to not bother considering, only marginally more likely than winning the league. We can technically finish below Newcastle, but save being pedantic about that, I am happy to be very confident that we won't. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Delighted that we're "one year ahead of schedule" but then dismayed to survive in our first season back in the top flight?  Behave.

It's fine to be optimistic, but I think we need to have a pinch of realism added here.  We know sod all about most of our signings (outside of Football Manager) and don't know how they will perform.  They basically need to hit the ground running too as, after Spurs, we have a relatively kind start to the season.  If we're sitting 20th after that, I really hope fans don't start to turn.

Sorry misread your post wrong, I don’t think they will allow us to flirt with the possibility of getting relegated, we could become one year behind schedule not really that illogical to think they would be dismayed during the season if that’s the predicament we potentially find ourselves in.

Edited by Tommo_b

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Delighted that we're "one year ahead of schedule" but then dismayed to survive in our first season back in the top flight?  Behave.

It's fine to be optimistic, but I think we need to have a pinch of realism added here.  We know sod all about most of our signings (outside of Football Manager) and don't know how they will perform.  They basically need to hit the ground running too as, after Spurs, we have a relatively kind start to the season.  If we're sitting 20th after that, I really hope fans don't start to turn.

behave....it's what we do best!!!

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm excited and I think we will surprise a lot of people this year. But if we don't, I don't want the negativity streaming back because the club aren't meeting some people's expectations. 

Good luck with that.

The positive/negative argument pops up every year regardless of who is in charge or how we are doing.

Arguing for a balanced appreciation of the team's progress is next to impossible in this modern age of entitlement and internet enabled 'free speech'.

Too many rough arse mongs with fingers.

• Like 1

I keep seeing and hearing references to our fans "turning". I think this is bollocks. We're no more militant or expectant than any others.

As long as we can see progress, an attempt to compete and effort, I think we'll be as patient and tolerant and balanced as we've always been. There's always a few exceptions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I just hope those that have high optimism don't start bringing negativity towards the players and manager if we are 17th/18th at christmas.

Exactly!! But unfortunately, we have those VTers that will and I think we know who they will be ;) if things are like this.

The GK potential signing seems to be a strange one this window. For every other position so far we seem to have a plan worked out and get someone signed. GK we haven’t seemed to be so decisive. 

Of course that’s just going on media links and could have no basis in reality. We could have clearly identified one or two we want but it’s taking time to get them. We’re hardly likely to comment on idle press speculation, especially as it may be a useful smoke screen. 

48 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

It seems the steady on now realistic brigade have the morning shift. Cheers guys. 40 points should definitely. Be the target.

By Christmas...

It's Friday, its summer. We're putting an awesome squad together thats going to attack, attack, attack and surprise more than a few teams this season.

That's a bit harsh.

I'm sure people were saying similar things ('I think we'll be top ten' etc etc) the summer that we brought in Gueye, Amavi, Ayew & Veretout, as we believed we were buying quality players back then also (with a bit of annoying OAP Premier League experience thrown in).

We're all excited about us spending all this money on, what looks like, a good set of players, but I imagine our squad is still one of the lowest in terms of value. When you have teams like Everton spending £30-50m on single players for the last 3-4 seasons, I think we have every reason to be slightly cautious with our expectations.

4 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

Exactly!! But unfortunately, we have those VTers that will and I think we know who they will be ;) if things are like this.

VT is absolutely a haven of reason compared with some of the Villa Facebook groups. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

That's a bit harsh.

I'm sure people were saying similar things ('I think we'll be top ten' etc etc) the summer that we brought in Gueye, Amavi, Ayew & Veretout, as we believed we were buying quality players back then also (with a bit of annoying OAP Premier League experience thrown in).

We're all excited about us spending all this money on, what looks like, a good set of players, but I imagine our squad is still one of the lowest in terms of value. When you have teams like Everton spending £30-50m on single players for the last 3-4 seasons, I think we have every reason to be slightly cautious with our expectations.

It was meant to be jovial, not harsh. I completely understand the reservation.

On your point re: squad value. I fancy it will be significantly higher next may. Quote me on that.