Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I can't for the life of me understand why Villa don't/can't,won't buy and develop their own young players, it can't be cheap the way you are doing it, I suppose it's because you are awash with Premiership money and can't be asked.

No, it's fine. Go ahead and ask us if we'll buy your players off you. You need the money.

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I can't for the life of me understand why Villa don't/can't,won't buy and develop their own young players, it can't be cheap the way you are doing it, I suppose it's because you are awash with Premiership money and can't be asked.

That's the plan. Our academy hasn't been producing enough quality, but we have made some significant changes behind the scenes. It will take a while to come to fruition so, for now, we will just have to use Brentford as our feeder club.😏

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

You've answered your own question with one word of it. "Develop". By definition that takes time and doubtless is our longer term strategy but we need to buy that time away right now. It's the difference between growing on your own seedlings or buying more mature, fruit-bearing plants from the nursery.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Because most of our managers were actually cowards or dinosaurs. They were afraid to give young players chance, or just rely in old ones.

Wether that was Mcleish, Lambert or whoever came since. Lambert and Sherwood began bravely. But by the time they went to be cautious to no limit. Bruce, well we all know.

Now we’re having a good chance of getting proper players while we don’t have bright prospects. I could only see Davis who have attributes to be a PL player. Maybe the younger ones as Ramsey.

11 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Jack Grealish came through the academy, .Green too is breaking through. There are Callum O'Hare and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy on the fringes. We've developed quite a few who have gone on to be successful enough elsewhere too, Albrighton, Bannan, Cahill...

Hopefully it'll become even more of a focus in the future, but it's not like we haven't been arsed.

Butland

Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Targett

Mcginn - Luiz - Grealish

Trezeguet - Wesley - El Ghazi

Bench:  Steer, Elmo, Konsa, Lansbury, Hourihane, Jota, Kodja, 

That's my starting line up and bench from the deals that are supposedly done/nearly done.

Whilst i would obviously welcome another marquee signing (Benrahama) or additional squad depth(Nakamba), for me, the above is good enough to stay up. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jonjon said:

It takes years to set up the system that bears the fruit...our youth set up won't produce players of DS's system for a couple of years.

17 minutes ago, jonjon said:

It’s because we can’t afford to be a midtable championship team whilst we wait and hope for our young players to come good.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jonjon said:

We do develop them, it's just that we cant afford to give them that next step up into first team football. Finances in a club like ours mean that we have to reduce the gamble that it would take to play all but the very brightest talents ( the ones we keep are then ruined by lack of football as it happens).

We then have to go out and buy the players that other big clubs have let go in the same vein, after they have been afforded that time to progress.

Its broken really, but I suppose that's why there is a football pyramid. 

3 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I think some of it is the immediacy of the need for talent. To develop your own players takes time and carries a risk. By buying more established players which appear to have the right attributes it removes some risk. I

In the 2016/17 season Dean Smith signed 18 players for Brentford and finished 1 place of where they were the previous season which shows he doesn't have much issue with integrating a lot of new players.

38 minutes ago, jonjon said:

The problem is we've not been in the situation were we can have the patience and risk the gambles. Without offending your club, you seem quite content to just be in the championship. 

In the last 10 years, we've been trying to break the top 4, trying to survive in the prem and trying to gain promotion from the championship. None of those aims, fit with developing our own players slowly and taking the gamble of them coming good or not  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think some of it is the immediacy of the need for talent. To develop your own players takes time and carries a risk. By buying more established players which appear to have the right attributes it removes some risk. I

Also the plan is to develop players. We are not buying players to sell them at a loss. 

Guilbert, Konsa, Mings, Hause, McGinn, Grealish, Wesley, El Ghazi, Jota, Hourihane, Engels - could all be sold at a very reasonable profit next year I would imagine. Dean Smith is a coach first and he develops players. If he can do it with the likes of Taylor and Elmo then he will do it with the younger players.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Also the plan is to develop players. We are not buying players to sell them at a loss. 

Guilbert, Konsa, Mings, Hause, McGinn, Grealish, Wesley, El Ghazi, Jota, Hourihane, Engels - could all be sold at a very reasonable profit next year I would imagine. Dean Smith is a coach first and he develops players. If he can do it with the likes of Taylor and Elmo then he will do it with the younger players.

We need Smith and Jesus to find some more potential Smiths and get them working at the diff levels of the academy!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Yep. If we were willing to prat about in the doldrums of the mid-table championship for the next 4-5 years then I’m sure we could make some money selling our best players every time a bigger club put an offer in... but I would hate that. That isn’t Aston Villa, it would be an insult to our proud history.

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

In the 2016/17 season Dean Smith signed 18 players for Brentford and finished 1 place of where they were the previous season which shows he doesn't have much issue with integrating a lot of new players.

@jonjon This is also goes to show that Brentford don't just develop players, they buy them and then develop them which is exactly what we are doing with a number of our signings just at a higher level.

Very few teams can rely on their academy alone to provide them with even half of competitive a team, let alone a full one.