Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Callum Robinson is now a Premier League player too. Marc Albrighton has a Premier League winners medal. 

Our academy does ok, even though we all kinda know it hasn't been 'great' for a while, it stacks up with the majority of clubs. 

Grealish will go on to captain England I reckon, if Southgate ever pulls his head out of his arse. So that will be two England captains within a decade. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Callum Robinson is now a Premier League player too. Marc Albrighton has a Premier League winners medal. 

Our academy does ok, even though we all kinda know it hasn't been 'great' for a while, it stacks up with the majority of clubs. 

Grealish will go on to captain England I reckon, if Southgate ever pulls his head out of his arse. So that will be two England captains within a decade. 

Enda Stevens and Samir Carruthers are at Sheffield Utd as well, like you say we do okay :) 

• Like 2

Enda Stevens isn't a VIlla youth product, and Samir Carruthers is 26 and we signed him from Arsenal as a sixteen year old. We haven't brought anyone through who gets regular football in the top two divisions since the likes of Grealish, Robinson, and Dan Crowley, and we lost two of those for free so get no benefit. Our academy has been poor for a while now, which is why it seems to be getting a bit of a shake up, with Huges leaving and Harrison coming in.

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

I know but we need more than chip in. Jack and McGinn scored 6 each and Anwar 4, if I’m correct, last season in a poorer league.  Let’s say Wes scores 12-15 goals in his first season, which would be incredible, we need some of the guys you mention scoring closer to 10 goals each otherwise we won’t have enough goals to keep us up.

Don't know whether anyone has replied yet. But Grealish got six anwar got 5 (6 with the final) and mcginn got 7. However Grealish and anwar only played 35 games and we had Steve Bruce as a coach so we weren't exactly banging in goals the first half of the season. Remember Las year we scored the 3rd most goals in the championship and we had a dinosaur coaching us. So that is 50 goals from outside of Abraham. We bring in wesley and with a bit of improvement from our players I (and a few more signings including trezeguet, Luiz and benrahma) I can see us scoring between 50 - 60 goals which is around average in the PL.

Wolves only scored 47 last year, Newcastle/soton/Burnley and Brighton also scored less than 50.

Really to stay up we likely need to score 45 and concede less than 60.

Newcastle are probably going down and Brighton were probably the 4th worst team  (now maybe 2nd worst) in the Pl so we need to finish ahead of one of Sheffield, Norwich, Palace (assuming Zaha goes) or Southampton and we will stay up. I think we are the only team in that group who can realistically take points off of the top 6 because we won't sit back and defend like them we will go out there and try to score and maybe nick a win. 

Off the top of my head, in recent years, PL players produced by Villa:

Steven Davis
Gary Cahill
Marc Albrighton
Ciaran Clark
Jonathan Hogg
Jack Grealish

A couple of PL winners in there, a couple of solid PL stalwarts in the last few years and one burgeoning superstar.  We also have Andre Green part of the first team setup this season. We've done alright.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Back to transfers with Leao a no goer

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Leao going to Inter then?

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

I don’t know but the calibre of teams in for him reportedly now ( and wolves ) I don’t like our chances if we ever were in the running .... Mendes will place him where best suits Mendes .... 

Interesting jumping of conclusions there.

Many of our youngsters have suffered from poor squad management over the past decade or so and not being able to go out on loan to gather experience. 

Many of them have been in and around the senior squad but not getting games, or playing u23/reserves and not gaining senior experience. 

Jack Grealish obviously was one of the exceptions there and his loan spell was a real catalyst for him. 

The likes of Daniel Johnson, Jonathan Hogg and Callum Robinson went as free transfers to lower league clubs and built decent careers on the back of being able to play consistent, senior football. 

35 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Brentford don’t produce players through their academy either. They do the same thing we are doing, just one step earlier in the football food chain. 

Our visiting friend is just salty at seeing his team picked apart again to be able to see it (As we were when Man City did it to us).

Sadly you are correct our success has been signing potential from mainly abroad and lower league and our successes are lauded although we do have quite a few failures.We have a great scouting network in Europe which has produced the likes of Vibe Maupay Benrahma Dalsgaard ect in recent seasons.We don’t have an youth academy instead we have a B team that we blood mainly very young potential normally cast offs from PL or European clubs.These players have all had to be given time to reach their potential something other clubs don’t or can’t wait for.Maupay was pretty poor when he first arrived but Benrahma has been great from the off.

Remember there is another step above you when the likes of Man City Liverpool ect come calling.               

23 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

image.png.f17af7d9fe25450a5961ef641116d095.png

i would guess Benrahma is pretty pi**ed if true.

I know Brentford want to get the best deal they can for their players, but stopping players leaving when decent offers are made might also hurt their reputation as their model is kinda built on persuading high potential players to join them with an unwritten agreement that they will sell them on if they perform and a bigger club comes in for them.

As i say, i totally understand them wanting to get every penny they can, but its a fine line between holding out for what you can get, and going against your model and players expectations of allowing them to move on for a "profit".

If we end up signing Hassan over Benrahma, soley because Brentford rejected 14m plus addons.......i can imagine Benrahma isnt going to be a happy camper.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Sadly you are correct our success has been signing potential from mainly abroad and lower league and our successes are lauded although we do have quite a few failures.We have a great scouting network in Europe which has produced the likes of Vibe Maupay Benrahma Dalsgaard ect in recent seasons.We don’t have an youth academy instead we have a B team that we blood mainly very young potential normally cast offs from PL or European clubs.These players have all had to be given time to reach their potential something other clubs don’t or can’t wait for.Maupay was pretty poor when he first arrived but Benrahma has been great from the off.

Remember there is another step above you when the likes of Man City Liverpool ect come calling.               

im sure you dont mean to come accross as......obnoxious?, but we know as well as anyone how the food chain works, all out talent was "taken" from us over the last decade or more, Barry, Benteke, Young, Delph, Yorke, Crowley, Milner, to name a few.

We nearly lost Grealish a year ago to this exact scenario......luckily Spurs were incompetent with their transfer dealings and it didnt happen.......

Trust me, Villa fans know it as well if not better than most....

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

We're well aware.  Happened to us plenty of times before.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i would guess Benrahma is pretty pi**ed if true.

I know Brentford want to get the best deal they can for their players, but stopping players leaving when decent offers are made might also hurt their reputation as their model is kinda built on persuading high potential players to join them with an unwritten agreement that they will sell them on if they perform and a bigger club comes in for them.

As i say, i totally understand them wanting to get every penny they can, but its a fine line between holding out for what you can get, and going against your model and players expectations of allowing them to move on for a "profit".

It’s at the negotiation stage. A little bit more here and there to get it over the line.