Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

18 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

When do we start worrying at the lack of quality and quantity on the squad?

If you don't make a signing on Wednesday, then.

22 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

You're a last minute kinda guy, I can tell.

Would have liked players to be more settled in with style of play and tactics etc, but your plan is definitely more interesting.

In some ways, but I don't mean let's do all of our business in the last week of the window as such.

But at times things don't always go to plan, situations can drag on etc. As we all know.

If all your business is done before the window closes then great, everyone beds in quicker etc. Ideal.

But I wouldn't be panic buying either.

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think we will be ready by then. With the amount of business we need to complete it will go down to the wire. 

Edit: realised after posting this the window closes before the first game so we have to be ready. 

image.jpeg.0051f026acdfd33d154b4a8a021e2674.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

When do we start worrying at the lack of quality and quantity on the squad?

depends on where in the various chains across European football our targets are sat, for example - 

we want a CB from Benfica, he's currently 2nd choice and unavailable - man city buy rodri from Atletico - Atletico use that money to buy joao felix - benifca use that money to buy a CB - our target becomes available

change the clubs but the theory of it remains, we have to wait for everyone to make their move before anything happens, that's why every year so many transfers are made at the death, clubs spend all summer waiting for moves elsewhere

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I am not sure it is quite “very dire”, although it is concerning. So long as Hause, Chester and  Connor are fit, then we are ok. 

I would call that "very concerning" myself. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

I presume you are making it up but if not I can definitely get some ITK on this...

ITK from Villa or ITK from ITV?

Please do - would be good to confirm either way whether the Mings to Casa Amor loan rumours are true.

Edited by KentVillan

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I totally agree Redmond is a decent player and would go straight into our team, but so would any decent right winger with the squad we have at the moment.

Trouble is in todays market he would cost £30m+ and we arent in a position like most prem clubs trying to meet the home grown criteria, meaning we could pick up better value abroad

Southampton apparently getting Bowen for £15m, so not all proves are that exaggerated 

I'm starting to get seriously worried already.  As has been said we have a lot of business to do and only four weeks (give or take) to do it.  I knew I would get nervous this early and I knew I shouldnt be but I am.  I thought we wouldve got Mings and Butland in by now (or equivalents) and that is why I am as nervous as I am.  2 CB, 1 GK and 1 DM positions are the heart of our defence and yes there are back ups in Hause and co but that doesnt fill me with confidence having all those positions with back up players.  I believe in Smith, Suso etc but Jeez a couple of signings quickly would help my nerves please.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Man Utd just spent almost that amount on one right back with one season of experience.

£70m for 3 players is pretty cheap now.

Where have you guys been for the past 3 or 4 years?! I’m surprised that people find it so surprising.

I’m sorry, but I’m not having that.

You’ve used one of the most expensive rightbacks ever, signing for a club trying to get back into the Champions League, as your example.

No one is denying that prices have gone up, but there are still transfers much cheaper than £25-£30m. £70m for 3 players isn’t ‘cheap’ in my book. £40m or less for 3 players, maybe.

Daniel James to Man Utd £15m, Clarke to Spurs £8.5m, Dawson to Watford £5.5m, Trossard to Brighton rumoured to be around £18m, Justin to Leicester was rumoured to be around £10m.

Some of these transfers I would consider to be ‘cheap’, but around £25m each for 3 players isn’t cheap, unless you’re buying a Man City/Man Utd quality player.

I still think we’ll see plenty of transfers this window where we go “wow, what a bargain!”.... and it won’t be when a club signs a championship player with 1 good year for £25m+!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

IMO, we still need...

2x CB

1x DM

2x Wingers

1x Striker

Nice to haves

1x GK

An additional DM

That's a lot to get done still....

I'd move one of those wingers into the second category.

But definitely still a lot to do, and they all need to be first team starters too (perhaps excluding the striker but we'll still need someone good). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

IMO, we still need...

2x CB

1x DM

2x Wingers

1x Striker

Nice to haves

1x GK

An additional DM

That's a lot to get done still....

The GK is close to being a need. We should sign Benrahma and Leao and tick the 2x Wingers and 1x Striker boxes based on their versatility.

10 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I’m sorry, but I’m not having that.

You’ve used one of the most expensive rightbacks ever, signing for a club trying to get back into the Champions League, as your example.

No one is denying that prices have gone up, but there are still transfers much cheaper than £25-£30m. £70m for 3 players isn’t ‘cheap’ in my book. £40m or less for 3 players, maybe.

Daniel James to Man Utd £15m, Clarke to Spurs £8.5m, Dawson to Watford £5.5m, Trossard to Brighton rumoured to be around £18m, Justin to Leicester was rumoured to be around £10m.

Some of these transfers I would consider to be ‘cheap’, but around £25m each for 3 players isn’t cheap, unless you’re buying a Man City/Man Utd quality player.

I still think we’ll see plenty of transfers this window where we go “wow, what a bargain!”.... and it won’t be when a club signs a championship player with 1 good year for £25m+!

You know every other big signing this summer will be "one of the most expensive <insert position> ever" right? That's how an inflating market works.

You might "not be having that" but it's a market and it's manifestly obvious to anyone watching it closely that prices have doubled.

Daniel James is 21 and has one season in the Championship under his belt. Jack Clarke is 18. Craig Dawson is past it and will have no resale value. Trossard and Justin could be bargains, although neither of them has set the world alight yet?

If you want to sign a player aged 22-24 hitting his peak, with genuine PL potential, you will be paying £20m+ unless there are some serious red flags against his name (injuries, attitude, etc.).

In a couple of years you might spot some bargain buys from this summer's transfer window, but I guarantee none of them will have looked like bargains at the time.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

You know every other big signing this summer will be "one of the most expensive <insert position> ever" right? That's how an inflating market works.

You might "not be having that" but it's a market and it's manifestly obvious to anyone watching it closely that prices have doubled.

Daniel James is 21 and has one season in the Championship under his belt. Jack Clarke is 18. Craig Dawson is past it and will have no resale value. Trossard and Justin could be bargains, although neither of them has set the world alight yet?

If you want to sign a player aged 22-24 hitting his peak, with genuine PL potential, you will be paying £20m+ unless there are some serious red flags against his name (injuries, attitude, etc.).

In a couple of years you might spot some bargain buys from this summer's transfer window, but I guarantee none of them will have looked like bargains at the time.

The post I was responding to was addressing the potential £25m+ signings of Butland, Phillips and Webster. Why are Phillips and Webster genuine PL potential, but Daniel James is "21 and has one season in the Championship under his belt" ? They've each had one good season.

None of these 3 has "Set the world alight" as you refer to with Trossard, and yet we're meant to believe that signing them for £70m would be cheap?

Every other 'big' signing might be one of the most expensive players ever, but we're not a team making big signings. We're a team making signings to build a squad that can survive, or push for mid-table, in the Prem, so why are we comparing the prices we're paying to Wan bloody Bissaka?

EDIT: Also, Craig Dawson has 153 Premier League appearances under his belt and is only 3 years older than Butland. He's now in his prime, for a defender. Hence, he is my definition of a cheap, 'bargain' Premier League player.

Edited by Rob182

We do have a lot of work to do in the transfer market, ideally we’d want everyone in a couple weeks before opening game of league season. So another couple of weeks should be fine before we start getting jittery if we’ve no CBs or CDM. A lot depends on who the incoming players might be; if it’s just a matter of time waiting for Mings then that would be fine as he should slot straight back in even if goes to deadline day. Ditto Kalvin Phillips, to a degree. 

Its sobering to think we go away to a champions league finalist in just over a month with, at this moment, only about half a championship team!