Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

42 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

The post I was responding to was addressing the potential £25m+ signings of Butland, Phillips and Webster. Why are Phillips and Webster genuine PL potential, but Daniel James is "21 and has one season in the Championship under his belt" ? They've each had one good season.

None of these 3 has "Set the world alight" as you refer to with Trossard, and yet we're meant to believe that signing them for £70m would be cheap?

Every other 'big' signing might be one of the most expensive players ever, but we're not a team making big signings. We're a team making signings to build a squad that can survive, or push for mid-table, in the Prem, so why are we comparing the prices we're paying to Wan bloody Bissaka?

EDIT: Also, Craig Dawson has 153 Premier League appearances under his belt and is only 3 years older than Butland. He's now in his prime, for a defender. Hence, he is my definition of a cheap, 'bargain' Premier League player.

You're comparing apples with oranges the whole way through here.

Phillips has had several good spells for Leeds before last season, and has 150+ league appearances. He's clearly ready to compete in the Premier League. Butland is 2nd choice England keeper, loads of PL experience, and given keepers typically play to age 35/36, he has another 10 years of his career left.

Daniel James is a great prospect, but at 21 with 33 league appearances to his name he's clearly more of a gamble. Nobody knows how he'll deal with setbacks, how he can adapt to different systems, whether his body can handle a full season of matches, etc. Also Swansea seem to have offloaded him at the first sign of interest. That's why he's available for £15m.

You also don't know what add-ons, wages, bonuses, etc. are written into the deals. Purslow is no mug, and I doubt anyone is pulling our pants down, even if some of the fees look a bit scary. The proof is in the pudding - let's see how things look at the end of this season, but I strongly believe we will be seen as one of the clubs who did good business.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

ITK from Love Island / ITV yes, I’ve asked. And no I haven’t watched it 😀 though I can make an exception if Mings appears I suppose 😍

Okay, I have to confess I made it up, but please share the response from your ITK anyway, as it will help to pass the time while we wait for them to announce Mings.

My latest, completely unfounded theory,  is that the DM we want is currently playing in the African Cup of Nations:

• Ellyes Skhiri - Tunisia and Montpellier
  • Ibrahim Sangare - Ivory Coast and Toulouse
  • Ismael Bennacer - Algeria and Empoli
  • Marvelous Nakamba - Zimbabwe and Brugge
  • Marco Ilaimaharitra - Madagascar and Charleroi (although likely more of a rotation/backup if we shipped out more from our books)

Of those, personally I like Sangare the most.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wes said:

My latest, completely unfounded theory,  is that the DM we want is currently playing in the African Cup of Nations:

• Marco Ilaimaharitra - Madagascar and Charleroi (although likely more of a rotation/backup if we shipped out more from our books)

Never seen him play but just for the name alone I'd like Marvelous Nakamba.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wes said:

You could be right...

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Okay, I have to confess I made it up, but please share the response from your ITK anyway, as it will help to pass the time while we wait for them to announce Mings.

You made it up!!?? I’m not sure what you do for a living, but there’s a bright future in journalism for you. 

I thought he worked for Sky. Looking at his profile it seems he doesn't. Dunno whether he used to but now doesn't, or if I just made it up.

Probably rubbish.

Edited by PieFacE