Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

58 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Shane Long especially works extremely hard for his team whoever he plays for, I love his attitude to the game, he gives 100% in every match. Austin is more of a natural poacher, give him a chance in a match and he’ll score but he won’t do much else. I agree with you that we probably won’t be looking at either but it doesn’t mean they’re not good strikers for their respective teams. I can’t remember who said it recently but a manager said we won’t even be competing with the likes of Southampton and will have higher aspirations 

They aren't good strikers.  I know you have a habit of overstating how good some players really are, but there's no way you can think Charlie Austin would be a good player to sign, surely?  He doesn't score goals and doesn't offer much in open play at all.  Shane Long would be a better purchase purely because he works hard - and he's not a good striker either!

You'd be hard pressed to find 2 worse strikers in the Premier League.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

Why does everyone care about how much we pay for players now?    I really don't care if the club spends half a billion pounds on players this window, as long as we stay up and build a stable platform to grow the team upon in the future.  

I can sort of understand where you are coming from, but for a club that's had financial difficulties it's obviously important to supporters that we don't go willy wonka with our money. We need a ton of players, we all know this, but there's no reason to act all newly rich spending stupid money on championship players. Or spending stupid money simply cause other clubs knows we are in a pickle.

Secondly, with a higher transfer fee you will have a harder time spinning a profit on a player, which I think everyone has to care about in modern football. We have to have a semi-sustainable approach to develop this club further.

Thirdly with a higher transfer fee, increased pressure will be upon the player to deliver. When Brentford and Leicester or other clubs pick up foreign talents for peanuts they have nada expectations on them, which obviously will be a huge advantage to any player coming into the English league. 

So talks about Webster for £ 25 - 30 million or whatever is something that makes me very uncomfortable. I fully support the decision to let the manager have a final say and let him generally get the players he wants, but I hope to god we have people at the club that can hand him other options. There's so much talent abroad, you just have to know where to look.  

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

7 hours ago, KMitch said:

Why does everyone care about how much we pay for players now?  Nearly always, the figures getting thrown around on Twitter are made up anyway.  We don't know the budget or how much our shortlist of targets were quoted to us for.  I really don't care if the club spends half a billion pounds on players this window, as long as we stay up and build a stable platform to grow the team upon in the future.  

Cus if we spent half a billion the FFP gods would be wrathful :)

Even if the owners are quite flexible with what we spend, at the end of the day the wiser we are with our money the further it goes, and the better players we can get overall.

If we start spending 30m+ on players worth 10-15m the available pot will be depleted quick.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Talk of Charlie Austin was painful enough but now I wake up to Shane bloody Long!! What are you people doing to me!!??

This is what happens when we don't sign a player for a week, we descend in to the football version of transfer rumour cannibalism :)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It’s not even the start of July and we’ve sunk as low as talking about Shane Long and Charlie Austin?

Come in guys. You don’t go buying Brazilian strikers from Belgium who are 22 then go and sign the likes of these two.

We are trying to take an approach like Spurs or Leicester, I just don’t see players like that even being part of the conversation.

Thank god for that. 

Would you say we are ‘struggling’ or perhaps ‘frustrated’ with the window at the moment, in terms of signing main targets? 

If they are willing to spend £20mill or even more on Webster then the powers that be must think he has the potential to develop Into the next Harry Maguire ( I’m not saying he is as good or will develop into) I trust their judgement. If they think better value can be sort elsewhere then no doubt we will walk away and move on. I really  don’t care about what a player costs. I don’t believe the fees reported in the papers or on here.

They know jigsaw x finances better than any VT poster  so I don’t really understand the worry from some. We have a experienced CEO and a head coach who is known to work with and improve players and they will seek the best value Vs potential. Phillips, Wesley, Webster, Hause and El Ghazi are not finished articles and can easily improve hopefully into better players with a higher resale value. Just my opinion . 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1