54 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

So, with Hause officially signed, here's our current best eleven:

- - - - - - - - - - -  Kodj - - - - - - - - - - -

El Ghazi - - - Grealish - - - - - Jota

- - - - -  McGinn - - Hourihane - - -

Taylor - Hause - Chester - Guilbert

- - - - - - - - - - - Steer - - - - - - - - - - -

Still work to do... :D

Obviously this is not finalised but if we went out with that team we would be comfortably and swiftly relegated. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

So, with Hause officially signed, here's our current best eleven:

- - - - - - - - - - -             - - - - - - - - - - -

El Ghazi - - - Grealish - - - - - 

- - - - -  McGinn - - Hourihane - - -

-             -             - 

- - - - - - - - - - -             - - - - - - - - - - -

Still work to do... :D

still a lot of work to do...i've left in your post the ones i believe to be premiership quality (removed jota and guilbert as they're unknowns at the moment)

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree it’s not just the tv deal that has increased championship valuations though. It’s hard to pin point what it is. Maybe Championship clubs are better run these days so are not in a desperate need to sell their top assets and can ask for a lot more?

I suspect that Championship clubs are reasonably envious of the money that clubs in the league above rake in and see transfer fees as a way of getting their share.

Like us with Jack last year, they are also reluctant to be taken for mugs by PL clubs. The stance we took with Jack and the fee Norwich got for Maddison, may well have set a precedence.

In my opinion, clubs that are not under financial pressure to sell at any price, are right to value their most saleable assets at a higher figure than they once did. The market will dictate whether PL clubs pay that price or not. You get what you pay for and have to determine whether players are worth it. I consider that outstanding Championship players such as Butland, Phillips, Bowen and Reach probably are.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Plenty of time left yet folks, no need to start panicking about the ‘state of the squad’.

I’m sure we’ll bring at least another 5 players in before we face spurs 

agreed...and these players dont need to compete with the likes of aguero and salah...they just need to be better than 3 other teams

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, useless said:

It was actually Danny Mills that said Phillips would take McGinns place.

Wow, he has clearly never, ever seen us play. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Plenty of time left yet folks, no need to start panicking about the ‘state of the squad’.

It’d be nice to have them in a preseason together though.  How many times over the decades have I heard about if XXX had a good preseason under their belt or it’ll take time to settle because they came in on deadline day.  Next season is so important to us to stay in the division that the fewer the issues the better.  I do though understand that things take time for various reasons.

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I was just posting the team, because of the Hause signing, and to show the work left to do. No panicking.

42 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

still a lot of work to do...i've left in your post the ones i believe to be premiership quality (removed jota and guilbert as they're unknowns at the moment)

I'm not sure whether Hourihane is even Premier League quality. I'd expect him to score a handful of goals if he got 20-30 games, but he was a worry defensively in the Championship so I think he'd quickly become a weak link in the Prem. Unless we played him further forward than the Whelan/DM role that he was often deployed in last season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

You should remove mcginn and el ghazi then too. actually has hourihane played premier league ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Current squad depth (green means they're natural in that position, and they're sorted by the best in each position)

squad.png.9b0552e953325fd9a3fe6e478f2a4e

Guilbert is our best RB I'd say and McGinn and Grealish are both better than Hourihane at CM. Everywhere else is probably about right. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, John said:

I suspect that Championship clubs are reasonably envious of the money that clubs in the league above rake in and see transfer fees as a way of getting their share.

Like us with Jack last year, they are also reluctant to be taken for mugs by PL clubs. The stance we took with Jack and the fee Norwich got for Maddison, may well have set a precedence.

In my opinion, clubs that are not under financial pressure to sell at any price, are right to value their most saleable assets at a higher figure than they once did. The market will dictate whether PL clubs pay that price or not. You get what you pay for and have to determine whether players are worth it. I consider that outstanding Championship players such as Butland, Phillips, Bowen and Reach probably are.

Makes signing from serie a, bundesliga, la liga etc even more important value for money wise then. no point getting fleeced for potential and looking at our business so far I think the fleecing villa days are gone.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Obviously this is not finalised but if we went out with that team we would be comfortably and swiftly relegated. 

I’m not sure that team would have to fear brighton, norwich, Sheffield, burnley or Southampton. Of course, they wouldn’t fear us either.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

There's a distinct lack of ITK nonsense lately :( 

A rotund man in my local thinks we have concluded our business for today!  He’s not sure about tomorrow or the rest of the week yet!! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

You should remove mcginn and el ghazi then too. actually has hourihane played premier league ?

I was just about to say the same thing. This is what makes promotion so hard. The players we sign and the players we keep could all be absolute shit in Premier League, even those we think might not be. 

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It doesn't. We are discussing the new mental prices for championship players. The new TV deal does not support how championship clubs suddenly are asking 4 x what they would have asked 10 years ago. 

Why not? Sky & BT Sport are now pumping in £4.6 BILLION into Premiership football, So clubs are awash with money, so why shouldn't Championship clubs and below be part of the gravy train, and no longer be taken for a ride, there is enough money to go round for everyone, after all, Premiership clubs are even paid £90 million in parachute payments if they fail, what other industry pays you to be a failure!!!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It doesn't. We are discussing the new mental prices for championship players. The new TV deal does not support how championship clubs suddenly are asking 4 x what they would have asked 10 years ago. 

It does. A players whose value was 7-8 mil 10 years ago is now 15-20 an increase by about 100% like the way the Premier league clubs have been payed.

Plus it isn't just the TV deal the market got inflated by the pogba/neymar transfers. If these 2 are worth that much my player who is 90% as good as them is worth about 85-100mil, then sigurdsson went for 56mil so anyone in between neymar and sigurdsson goes for 120mil. Then everyone else is like sigurdsson isn't that much better than let's say mkhitaryan why isn't he 40-50million. Etc. Etc. Then the top championship players are now equivalent to top 0layers on mid table teams so they ask for the equivalent price I.e 20-30mil.