Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

18 minutes ago, romavillan said:

You should remove mcginn and el ghazi then too. actually has hourihane played premier league ?

meant unknown as in i hadnt seen them play really

Mings and Tuanzebe in would be fantastic

Not saying signing Tuanzebe on a permanent deal is a very realistic thought, but at the same time Manchester United is known for making bad decisions.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Why not? Sky & BT Sport are now pumping in £4.6 BILLION into Premiership football, So clubs are awash with money, so why shouldn't Championship clubs and below be part of the gravy train, and no longer be taken for a ride, there is enough money to go round for everyone, after all, Premiership clubs are even paid £90 million in parachute payments if they fail, what other industry pays you to be a failure!!!!

Do you think your £70m debt will impact your unwillingness to accept good offers for Benrahma and Maupay?

If the £70m debt is genuine, is this on top of new stadium costs?

25 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Why not? Sky & BT Sport are now pumping in £4.6 BILLION into Premiership football, So clubs are awash with money, so why shouldn't Championship clubs and below be part of the gravy train, and no longer be taken for a ride, there is enough money to go round for everyone, after all, Premiership clubs are even paid £90 million in parachute payments if they fail, what other industry pays you to be a failure!!!!

I think the problem clubs like yourselves will have when quoting a fee is that this TV money isn't the same in every country, if you inflate your prices too much, the Premier League clubs will go abroad where there is more value. Yes buying from abroad can be a risk, but so is buying from the Championship. Just because the clubs have money doesn't mean they don't seek out value, they have shareholders to pay.

£20m is the value of a good Premier League player, given the choice between one of those and an unproven Championship player you can see why most Premier League clubs don't want to take the risk. 

It has trickled down to the Championship, way more players move around for £10m-£15m than before, but £20m+ happen very rarely and almost exclusively for Premier League proven players .

12 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Do you think your £70m debt will impact your unwillingness to accept good offers for Benrahma and Maupay?

If the £70m debt is genuine, is this on top of new stadium costs?

I am no financial expert with regards to debt, but this is an extract from the latest accounts available, so it appears to be under control:

Net debt hence increased from £58.4m to £69.9m (20%). Brentford are financially in decent shape with no Financial Fair Play issues surrounding the club at a time many clubs are sweating over their compliance. Player sales over the last few years have helped stabilise the club and have been reinvested well in the most part.

Brentford are primed to move forward and should hope to be a financially sustainable club in a couple years, with promotion then becoming a real possibility.

I don't think there is any impact, as such, with regards to selling any of our players

With regards to the new stadium:

The stadium arrangement is a peculiar one, with Brentford entering a development agreement with a third party (not named) who the club will sell Griffin Park to and also the land for the new stadium. Griffin Park is to be sold for £30m while the new stadium is being sold to the developer for £52m. This will raise a huge sum of cash for Brentford and a brand spanking new ground which the club will then have to lease each year rather than own, reducing the initial cash needed significantly.

This will see Brentford record a massive profit on the sale of the stadium, meaning Brentford will probably record profits not only for themselves, but also for a Championship club next year.

So we will be £82 million more secure when we move to the new ground next year, coupled with increased ground attendance/revenue, and corporate facilities we might even start to make a profit.

Hope that helps you

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

I am no financial expert with regards to debt, but this is an extract from the latest accounts available, so it appears to be under control:

Net debt hence increased from £58.4m to £69.9m (20%). Brentford are financially in decent shape with no Financial Fair Play issues surrounding the club at a time many clubs are sweating over their compliance. Player sales over the last few years have helped stabilise the club and have been reinvested well in the most part.

Brentford are primed to move forward and should hope to be a financially sustainable club in a couple years, with promotion then becoming a real possibility.

I don't think there is any impact, as such, with regards to selling any of our players

With regards to the new stadium:

The stadium arrangement is a peculiar one, with Brentford entering a development agreement with a third party (not named) who the club will sell Griffin Park to and also the land for the new stadium. Griffin Park is to be sold for £30m while the new stadium is being sold to the developer for £52m. This will raise a huge sum of cash for Brentford and a brand spanking new ground which the club will then have to lease each year rather than own, reducing the initial cash needed significantly.

This will see Brentford record a massive profit on the sale of the stadium, meaning Brentford will probably record profits not only for themselves, but also for a Championship club next year.

So we will be £82 million more secure when we move to the new ground next year, coupled with increased ground attendance/revenue, and corporate facilities we might even start to make a profit.

Hope that helps you

Certainly does. Cheers.

48 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Guilbert is our best RB I'd say and McGinn and Grealish are both better than Hourihane at CM. Everywhere else is probably about right. 

Sorry. I listed the CMs in order of most defensive then ability. Don't worry I dont think Hourihane is our best CM. Had a shocker there haha.

I couldn't really judge Guilbert as I've never seen him (until I watched him on YT about an hour ago).

Didn't include Hogan and Bjarnason as if they're featuring for us in the PL we're in trouble.

Elmohamady isn't even a right-back, last time he was in the Premier league with Hull their manager came in for heavy criticism for playing him there, you can get away with playing him at full-back in the championship, but not in the Premier league. We paid £5m for Guilbert and he was rated as one of the best full-backs in Ligue 1, when we signed him so he must have something about him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John said:

London does have a pull. More than a few players from abroad tend to think that England consists of just London, Manchester and Liverpool (the last two cities because of the recent prominence of three clubs). Players can therefore be reluctant to choose clubs like Newcastle or Bournemouth, for example unless they are their only PL option.

Players from the UK, might be attracted to the bright lights or by living in the capital city, in much the same way, albeit possibly to a lesser extent. If they choose on the basis of the night life, then London clubs are probably welcome to them...

They usually don't actually live in London, they live in places like Hertfordshire, so the pull isn't what you think it might be. I mean sure, maybe some players move there for the lifestyle, but that is becoming increasingly rare. Athletes don't have much of a life. 

As you rightly say Manchester clubs have never had a problem attracting players. Same for Liverpool. The London thing is a myth and more or less always has been.

Birmingham is no longer a hard sell anyway. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Just now, supermon said:

I think we should have a separate Brentford thread on Villatalk

Why? If it relates to us potentially looking at Benrahma, Maupay and Konsa as transfer targets I don't see why we would. I think it's quite refreshing to have fans of other clubs on here when the conversation is constructive and informative.

Granted if it was just about Brentford's financial situation, but we had no interest in any of their players, I agree that this subject should be in "Other Football". 

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

I'd offer 30m for Maupay and Benrahma.

15m each seems fair.

40m for each is ridiculous.

20m each?

I'd split it and offer £17.5m each. That would be too good for any Championship club to turn down regardless. They could sign the next 10 future stars with that money.

12 minutes ago, useless said:

Elmohamady isn't even a right-back, last time he was in the Premier league with Hull their manager came in for heavy criticism for playing him there, you can get away with playing him at full-back in the championship, but not in the Premier league. We paid £5m for Guilbert and he was rated as one of the best full-backs in Ligue 1, when we signed him so he must have something about him.

No he wasn't a right back, he was an attacking player made to play right back and probably didn't do to well there for Hull. He has made massive improvements in the position while he's been with us and I would say he now is a right back. I certainly wouldn't want him playing in any other position for us, ideally he will be as cover to Guilbert (who hopefully impresses, but is a complete punt to say he is going to be better). Unless we can get better extra cover but I'd say that's down on priorities.

If it's a complete punt to say that Guilbert is better than Elmohamady, then you could turn around and say that it's also a complete punt to say that Moraes will be better than Hogan or Davies.

• Like 1

Two months in the championship, after being at the club for two years. Will be a decent enough utility player, but we'd be making a big mistake if we were relying on him as our right-back in the Premier league.