Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Man City are activating their buy-back clause in Angelino's contract at PSV for 12m Euros.

They will sell him on for probably double that making a quick profit.  Talented Left-sided defender. Wonder where he goes.

33 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

But players are rarely Londoners and won't care.

In this case the player could already be settled there though. He is quite young though so probably not got family to consider. 

Anyway if Palace real are in for him and he chooses to go there. Then f**k him.

• Like 2

So, with Hause officially signed, here's our current best eleven:

- - - - - - - - - - -  Kodj - - - - - - - - - - -

El Ghazi - - - Grealish - - - - - Jota

- - - - -  McGinn - - Hourihane - - -

Taylor - Hause - Chester - Guilbert

- - - - - - - - - - - Steer - - - - - - - - - - -

Still work to do... :D

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Guardian is till top but at 38.5% nowadays...

https://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/sources/newspapers

Source Correct Total Num Accuracy
The Guardian 428 1111
38.5%
Daily Record 241 742
32.5%
Daily Telegraph 514 1627
31.6%
The Times 490 1665
29.4%
The Scotsman 10 34
29.4%
The Herald 23 83
27.7%
The Independent 274 1017
26.9%
Daily Mail 1655 6922
23.9%
Daily Mirror 2456 11453
21.4%
Daily Star 918 4469
20.5%

This is only printed media but the site in the link does stats for online media as well.

Birmingham Mail has a 1% success rate

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Whelan saying if we were to sign Phillips from Leeds that puts mcginns place in the team in jeopardy as he is better.

No chance in hell is he better is he better than mcginn.

Does Whelan realise that Phillips would most likely be playing the role his namesake, or Hourihane occupied last season? Not McGinns?

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

At least we now have 2CBs! 

To be fair with Wesley replacing Kodjia and the likelihood of Mings, we will already be looking much better for a 1st XI.  

Just now, cyrusr said:

To be fair with Wesley replacing Kodjia and the likelihood of Mings, we will already be looking much better for a 1st XI.  

Except Chester may be injured indefinitely

22 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Yay we can put out a team now!

serious lincoln chafee GIF

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I don't know if it's my claret & blue "we're a big club" specs kicking in, but I look at that team that I've posted, and I think to myself that that looks like a team that you could see smaller promoted clubs going with.

Which is a good sign for us, because it's clear that our work is far from done, and we're still going to bring in a number of quality additions to push some of those names to the bench.

Admittedly, I didn't really look closely at the teams that Huddersfield/ Cardiff/ Fulham put together following promotion, but I feel like that kind of team with a sprinkling of quality (El Ghazi, Grealish, McGinn), a few 'hopefuls' (Steer, Jota, Guilbert) and a few older heads (Chester, Taylor) is the kind of team that you see get promoted and battle it out for a 15th-17th position.

You'd expect that, from that team, only McGinn, Grealish and El Ghazi will be nailed-on starters, with potentially Guilbert thrown in there. The rest, you'd imagine, will either be on the bench or squad players, if they're not shipped out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Except Chester may be injured indefinitely

I don't think he will. I think he'll need to manage his physical state consistently, but I still think he'll be available to play. Even if it's one game in 10 days, much like Ledley King had to do.

Glad that we are still in the market.  To me that team would need an exceptional season, no major injuries or suspensions and a lot of luck could scrape 17th position.  We need more obviously and thankfully we seem to be doing that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Glad that we are still in the market.  To me that team would need an exceptional season, no major injuries or suspensions and a lot of luck could scrape 17th position.  We need more obviously and thankfully we seem to be doing that.

Definitely. We are still significantly below where we need to be, and hopefully where are owners want us to be. The position hasn't changed at all. We still need...

1 x GK (I say need, but I would hope we are in for Butland).

2 x CB (Mings / ????)

1 x LB

1 x DM

1 x RW

1 x ST

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

No question. If we line up next year with that defence and GK, we’d be going for the lowest points scored record. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

But players are rarely Londoners and won't care.

London does have a pull. More than a few players from abroad tend to think that England consists of just London, Manchester and Liverpool (the last two cities because of the recent prominence of three clubs). Players can therefore be reluctant to choose clubs like Newcastle or Bournemouth, for example unless they are their only PL option.

Players from the UK, might be attracted to the bright lights or by living in the capital city, in much the same way, albeit possibly to a lesser extent. If they choose on the basis of the night life, then London clubs are probably welcome to them...

Just now, Rob182 said:

I don't know if it's my claret & blue "we're a big club" specs kicking in, but I look at that team that I've posted, and I think to myself that that looks like a team that you could see smaller promoted clubs going with.

Which is a good sign for us, because it's clear that our work is far from done, and we're still going to bring in a number of quality additions to push some of those names to the bench.

Admittedly, I didn't really look closely at the teams that Huddersfield/ Cardiff/ Fulham put together following promotion, but I feel like that kind of team with a sprinkling of quality (El Ghazi, Grealish, McGinn), a few 'hopefuls' (Steer, Jota, Guilbert) and a few older heads (Chester, Taylor) is the kind of team that you see get promoted and battle it out for a 15th-17th position.

You'd expect that, from that team, only McGinn, Grealish and El Ghazi will be nailed-on starters, with potentially Guilbert thrown in there. The rest, you'd imagine, will either be on the bench or squad players, if they're not shipped out.

Agree with the starters. Guilbert is an unknown but you would expect him to be in the squad at least. Same with Hause/Jota/Hourihane/Steer - these 4 will be part of next seasons squad rotation I reckon. Probably expect Chester/Taylor/Kodjia to be back up though and main priorities IMO (I know Kodjia will be replaced with Wesley). 

• Like 1