Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

At first I thought, like everyone, we don't want to 'do a Fulham', sign a load of decent looking players on paper and then go down with huge debts again. But for me, we really need to sign eight players to make a complete squad. We released a lot of players, and a lot of the excellent loanees we relied on, leaving our squad looking pretty threadbare. I think we can assume that Bjarnason, Hogan and Tshibola will all go this transfer window. And we'll need two decent players in each position. 

Which leaves us with:

GKs: Steer, Kalinic, Sarkic (fine - amazed we're looking at Butland when GK must be a low priority)

RBs: Elmohamady, Guillbert (fine)

CBs: Chester (3 new signings needed)

LBs: Taylor (1 new signing needed)

W/AMs: Grealish, Jota*, Green, El Ghazi* (fine - two new signings already made)

CMs: McGinn, Hourihane, Lansbury (need one solid DM)

STs: Kodjia, Davis (need one flagship striker signing - Kodjia and Davis not good enough)

So factoring in we've already made two signings, I think we need 3 X CBs, 1 X LB, 1 X DM, 1 X ST. Making a total of eight signings. 

Realistically we don't want to/can't spend more than 10m on each player. Jota and El Ghazi were both under 4m so were bargains. I hope we sign more players in that price bracket, perhaps add in a couple of loanees, and then take a punt and spend a bit more on a striker like Gomez. 

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Do you get dividends or something? What a strange thing for fans to be pleased about. Profit. 

Trend of some modern fans. It comes from being brought up on Sky Sports News pumping numbers and figures into your mind.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

amazing how they can say so much, while saying virtually nothing.....

could translate to........"Villa looking to buy players".

av5.png

i mean, if there's no movement, there's no movement. would you rather he made something up? :lol:

I like the look of that Brentford full back. What's his name... Oh yeah. 8 Million Pounds. Lovely player. Yeah he's a big pile of fifty pound notes, but what style. This time next year he could be 200kg of Gold Bullion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Trend some modern fans. It comes from being brought up on Sky Sports News pumping numbers and figures into your mind.

It's frightening. 

Look I'm a big fan of the Spurs model. Turning your medium sized signings into big money and reinvesting in the squad to build your way up the ladder. It makes sense from a footballing perspective, improve the 'product' on the pitch. It's a happy marriage.  

However from the outside it appears Brentford, owner and fans, are content swishing around in the championship making a fudge ton of money without progression, whilst simultaneously building a £70m stadium which only holds 17,000 people. 

It's complete lunacy. I get that they have never had it better on the pitch too, but it's ok to want more. To not squeal with delight when you sell your star winger or defender.

At some point they're going to fall on their arse IMO and I'll feel sorry for them for being sucked in. 

Mahoosive vacuum of ITK this window - more than ever before - yet we are after more players than ever before. I love our new owners, but throw us a fricking bone won't you? I mean, our off season titilation is a BIT more important than sealing vital transfers, no? NSWE and Jesus out. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Butland for 23m?! I'd rather Bangkok than pay that for a Championship keeper

Anything more than that and they can go Phuket.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's frightening. 

Look I'm a big fan of the Spurs model. Turning your medium sized signings into big money and reinvesting in the squad to build your way up the ladder. It makes sense from a footballing perspective, improve the 'product' on the pitch. It's a happy marriage.  

However from the outside it appears Brentford, owner and fans, are content swishing around in the championship making a fudge ton of money without progression, whilst simultaneously building a £70m stadium which only holds 17,000 people

It's complete lunacy. I get that they have never had it better on the pitch too, but it's ok to want more. To not squeal with delight when you sell your star winger or defender.

At some point they're going to fall on their arse IMO and I'll feel sorry for them for being sucked in. 

I thought this was a joke until I looked and the stadium is genuinely projected to hold just over 17k people... wtf!? Buy the Millenium Dome instead, it holds more people and you can rent it out to Adele at the weekends.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Oh god, five new pages and me thinking there were lots of new transfer news, instead I got some kind of tour around the world with puns. Screw you all!!! 

Haha! I really don’t think you have understood the game! Hahah! What an idiot!!!

guys - check out this guys attempt! 

dance lol GIF by HyperX

Right, I’ve Kosovo guys, see ya laters. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I thought this was a joke until I looked and the stadium is genuinely projected to hold just over 17k people... wtf!? Buy the Millenium Dome instead, it holds more people and you can rent it out to Adele at the weekends.

It's an increase of just 5k on their present one. You would expect it to hold in excess of 20k if its going to be 'Premier league ready'. The only rationale that makes sense is that they are being cautious for now, but the ground has scope to be expanded if need be. 

39 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Trend of some modern fans. It comes from being brought up on Sky Sports News pumping numbers and figures into your mind.

Not sure this is true.  Modern fans want as much money thrown at a team as possible to achieve short term success irrespective of anything else.  They pray for a mega rich owner to come in and splash dat cash.

Original poster said his team (from memory, Brentford had something like 3rd lowest budget in the Championship?) returned £80m in transfers from an outlay of £8-9m.  Didn't say he was pleased about it, but somehow that's what we've read into it and started mocking.

A mate of mine bumped into Dean Smith in Iceland earlier today. He asked him when we will be signing some new foreign talent. Smith said that he has a player flying in early tomorrow for talks and quoted the player saying "Ireland in Birmingham tomorrow morning and head starting to Bodymoor Heath for talks". 

Sorry guys! 🤪

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not sure this is true.  Modern fans want as much money thrown at a team as possible to achieve short term success irrespective of anything else.  They pray for a mega rich owner to come in and splash dat cash.

Original poster said his team (from memory, Brentford had something like 3rd lowest budget in the Championship?) returned £80m in transfers from an outlay of £8-9m.  Didn't say he was pleased about it, but somehow that's what we've read into it and started mocking.

There isn't a football fan that doesn't respect what Brentford is doing. It's the blueprint for the modern EFL era. However some posters get the impression that their fans are happy to just exist, rather than evolve. That isn't really what football is about.