Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

46 minutes ago, jonjon said:

No way would Maupay change clubs to sit on the bench or play a part time roll, he's the real deal and number one man, and Dean Smith knows that, so if that's what you think his roll will be at Villa, he definitely won't be signing for you, same applies to Benrahma.

Wow man, Brentford must be sick of all the calls from Barca, Real Madrid and Man City eh?!

Id think both would jump at the chance to play for a big club.

• Like 1

Dean Smith - "Hiya Neal son, fancy coming to Aston Villa with me?"

Neal Maupay - "Will I be automatic first choice?"

DS - "Well no, it doesn't really work like that with me Neal as you know. But if you work hard and take your chance when it presents itself you'll be a Premier League striker before you know it...

Hello? Neal?"

Riiiiggggght. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You say that but he has 155 appearances in the top flight. 

Elmo is fine for this season as back up imo. Probably look for next season. I don't see any reason for another RB just yet (unless SB is returning)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

True, but how well did he play? Every time I saw him I thought he was a bit out of his depth. Maybe because it was usually for a Bruce side getting sucked into relegation battles. But would you be happy to rely on him as our right back?

44 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think we need a tall and strong striker. We can't expect to be having goals for fun. Maupay is too short, not sure how will that benefit us? We were the most team to score from crosses last season in the Championship. It's one of the weapons which we need to use as we will need it more in the PL.

I take your point, but I have not given up hope that Tammy will return once Chelsea have sorted out their manager/transfer embargo situations. Whilst height does help when it comes to being a threat in the air, I would not rule Maupay out as a good striker option for us. Andy Gray was one of our best headers of the ball and he was only 5 feet 11 (albit he would still tower above Maupay). ;) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

True, but how well did he play? Every time I saw him I thought he was a bit out of his depth. Maybe because it was usually for a Bruce side getting sucked into relegation battles. But would you be happy to rely on him as our right back?

Thought he was decent for Hull actually, particularly the first time around. My only real evidence aside from a hazy memory to back this up is a 7.17 rating on Whoscored from 14/15

4 years is a long time ago obviously, but yeah I'm comfortable enough going into our first season with him as a back up. 

36 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Years ago.  He wasn't starting for us last year.  I think he is a decent defender - when his head is on which it certainly wasn't against McLean and Leeds last season - and a good crosser but is too slow and always turns backwards, even when he has a head start.

2 hours ago, jonjon said:

we do hope to join you there in the not too distant future

Stop selling your best players every year and you might have a good chance. I'm sure being in the PL is a much better way of balancing the books 😉

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Stop selling your best players every year and you might have a good chance. I'm sure being in the PL is a much better way of balancing the books 😉

Unfortunately we have to sell to survive, it's our major source of income, as we only have a limited ground capacity, hopefully when the new stadium is open next year the increase in attendance and revenue might put a stop to us selling our best players year on year.