Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Thoughts?

I would have the same reservations about Maupay as well. I would expect both would be 'big money' signings and we still don't have any idea if either's game will translate well to the PL. 

I also think we would get much better value for money if we looked for a striker from Europe.

I've been arguing with certain posters we should sign Cahill for months now, glad it seems most people are on board. Partner him with Mings and we cant be bullied by anyone. 6'4 & 6'5 centre backs, both comfortable on the ball and solid. 

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Good  backup. Isnt he out of contract? edit: nope, one year left.

It's hard to really judge it until we know the cost. If this is one of those deals where he can be had for very cheap since he's a year left on his deal, and was dealing with injuries last season, it's a low-risk move, and it's hard to be too upset about it. I suspect that's what the interest is.

Edited by VillaHatesMe
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, NZV said:

No we aren’t banned from signing players from Europe, They were just players that i have seen play, liked and think they would fit well in our midfield. Re Chalobah - he has been injured alot but he has bags of potential. If we could get him injury free i think he would be a good fit. Look how well Mings has gone with a injury free run in the team. I’m sure there are alot of good young DMs around Europe and I’m looking forward to seeing who we sign. I hope sign a LB gem from Europe in the same mould as Guilbert, there’s not many LBs domestically that will be cheap and have the potential to be a PL starter

Tierney would be a good pick up, 20-25m.

Think Da Silva was really good for Bristol City last summer although might've made more sense if we were still in championship. He's in the England under 21s squad for Euro 2019.

Think we'll be signing a player or two for 20m + this summer, certainly if we shop domestically. The prices we were paying a decade ago for likes of Milner, Young and Downing can be trebled now.

17 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I know it’s a pipe dream but I’d love to be linked to some actual top European stars, even if it’s jist rumours, to still be linked with more championship players again gets a little depressing.

Guess the issue is we're not established club in premier league but I dunno be ambitious enough and players would come. West Ham signed Felipe Anderson for 40m and he was getting linked to likes of Man. United the year before. Wolves signing Rui Patricio, Raul Jimenez Moutinho etc which enhanced their starting 11.

I have no issues with signing 2-3 good championship players but for our whole transfer window to consist of them strikes me as a lack of ambition, similar to MON era. We have Spanish DOF now plus better scouting so it really shouldn't be an excuse.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Guess the issue is we're not established club in premier league but I dunno be ambitious enough and players would come. West Ham signed Felipe Anderson for 40m and he was getting linked to likes of Man. United the year before. Wolves signing Rui Patricio, Raul Jimenez Moutinho etc which enhanced their starting 11.

I have no issues with signing 2-3 good championship players but for our whole transfer window to consist of them strikes me as a lack of ambition, similar to MON era. We have Spanish DOF now plus better scouting so it really shouldn't be an excuse.

Seems we are being linked with the cream of the championship. I think we need numbers DS has shown his ability to build a team based on getting the blend right, rather than superstar individuals. I guess once we are a solid prem team - we can add the superstars in future windows - I dont think that is the worst strategy in the world.

Of course all the links could be tosh !

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

TBH, Guilbert was a signing completely out of left field and a bit of a coup for a Championship club to make. He would have been picked up by an Premier League club on a free this summer, after the season he just had in the French League and we looked like we were nowhere near promotion when he signed for us. I think we’ll have a few very ambitious signings nobody will expect until the news breaks right before the medical. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I would be really chuffed with Cahill, I know he’s 32 but he’s still got a season or two left I think. He’s never been super quick, and the best parts of his game are physicality and reading the game, both of which won’t change with age. I’d take a risk on a one/two year contract.

If we can't get Axel back then i'd move for Cahill and partner him with Mings (hopefully)

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I've been arguing with certain posters we should sign Cahill for months now, glad it seems most people are on board. Partner him with Mings and we cant be bullied by anyone. 6'4 & 6'5 centre backs, both comfortable on the ball and solid. 

Cahill would be a terrible signing imo.

Hes old and slow, and would force our back 4 to play deeper to ensure he isnt caught out with a ball over the top or a through ball, playing deeper to accomodate Cahill would then impact our forward play.

We need someone fairly mobile like Mings (ie: a bit of pace, mobile, fairly good on the ball - which Tuanzebe or Hause were ideal for in the Championship run in).

Signing an immobile 34ish year old would be a huge step backwards for our style of play, and the club ethos of developing players, or at least buying players who arent miles past their prime.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2