Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

So we've released 8 players so far and 5 loans have returned to their clubs.

10 in is a conservative number tbh. The squad will be unrecognisable.

They haven't pissed about, it's true, but there haven't been any WTF?-type moves from them yet in terms of departures.

Everyone who has gone so far either hasn't played for us in a while/fringe/twilight of career/not Prem level. The only one of the leavers that I've seen any serious suggestion about keeping is Whelan as a "maybe could still do a job, but preferably only in an emergency filler situation" player.

I'm getting the strong sense that Deano, Purslow, Suso, et al are very confident in terms of their recruitment strategy and process and have zero doubts they don't need Whelan-type squad players because they will have strengthened sufficiently.

It'll be very interesting to see how many of the players who played at Wembley start the first game of next season. Indeed, how many are even at the club.

• Like 4

I'd imagine we can shift on a few more, Hogan can go back out on loan etc. Someone might gamble on Lansbury but again on Loan.

Hopefully get our business done as early as possible as chances are we'll probably have a team that need to gel and quickly.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I'd imagine we can shift on a few more, Hogan can go back out on loan etc. Someone might gamble on Lansbury but again on Loan.

Hopefully get our business done as early as possible as chances are we'll probably have a team that need to gel and quickly.

Undecided on Lansbury, think he would make a decent squad player but would sell/loan if the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by jasoncb
  • Like 1

The gel quickly comment is bang on, if we're going to be clearing out 10-15 players and getting in 10-15 new ones. Then it'll take a full preseason to work with them to hit the ground running. Massive turnover of players that is, the side that starts the first game will be interesting to compare to the final winners.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Dean Smith need to be careful.

Sign too many Championship players and you end up with a Championship team

Yes but the top 6 of the championship are the equal of the bottom 6 of the premier league. There is decent young talent throughout the championship, many would hold their own and prosper in better teams, some will make it to the top end of the prenier league in time.

• Like 2

My hope for the window is Mings, El Ghazi, Hause, Lolley, Maupay, Tammy and Axel. I know this is unlikely.

Second I would like about 2-4 <25 y.o £10m promising players and very decent DM and CB.

Lastly, I would love to see two very good wingers - £20m plus, and a very decent Striker.

I know thats greedy and impossible to think may happen, but we could spend upward of £100m if the these owners are the real deal. Incidentally, I think this is what is needed and is not especially extravagant, it only seems so as we have so few squad members. I have no expectation above mid table (anywhere between 16th to 8th) and think as coming 5th in the Championship and scraping through albeit solidly we will have our work cut out - theoretically we are favourites to go back down.

49 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

So we've released 8 players so far and 5 loans have returned to their clubs.

10 in is a conservative number tbh. The squad will be unrecognisable.

I was going to say, we're not letting sentiment get in the way of things. 13 out so far (including the loanees) and Gary Gardner likely to be number 14. Add Hogan, Lansbury, McCormack, Bjarnason, Tshibola and maybe Bree not being in the 1st team plans then that's 20 players!

Like you say, 10 in will be the bare minimum. More like 12-13.

That's why I can see us being linked to the likes of McEachran, as we will need depth as well. 

Yep can certainly see us picking up a few free agents to bolster the squad.

Wouldn't mind Cahill, Nick Powell and maybe Leroy Fer as they are good for competition as long as we are sensible with wages and for the older players contract lengths.

I would be really chuffed with Cahill, I know he’s 32 but he’s still got a season or two left I think. He’s never been super quick, and the best parts of his game are physicality and reading the game, both of which won’t change with age. I’d take a risk on a one/two year contract.

40 minutes ago, jasoncb said:

Undecided on Lansbury, think he would make a decent squad player but would sell/loan if the opportunity presents itself.

His body is made from Weetabix.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I would be really chuffed with Cahill, I know he’s 32 but he’s still got a season or two left I think. He’s never been super quick, and the best parts of his game are physicality and reading the game, both of which won’t change with age. I’d take a risk on a one/two year contract.

I think Cahill would be ideal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

On a 12/24 month contract I’d welcome it but anything more and I’d be concerned. I’d still rather Axel, Hause and Mings though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Cahill and Mings could be excellent.

Doubt Cahill would come on a two-year contract though. He'll be offered a 4 year deal on 60k per week by someone like Fat Sam.

45 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Cahill is 33, I agree with every other word though, apart from the last bit which I have just seen, it wouldn’t be a risk, what you see is what you get with Gary Cahill. I’d love him back

• Like 2

Cahill is all about the deal we offer him, £30-40k for a year with an extension option, do his badges, work with Terry again then it's a decent deal for us

North of that though and it's starting to look a bit ropey

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Cahill is all about the deal we offer him, £30-40k for a year with an extension option, do his badges, work with Terry again then it's a decent deal for us

North of that though and it's starting to look a bit ropey

There's some merit to that theory, a short-term, "You've already made your fortune, mate" type deal. However, it would still surprise me if the recruitment committee sanctioned it or he accepted it. I'm inclined to think he's outside the player profile we'll be going for now and that kind of deal is a couple of years too soon for him to go for.

Just now, VillaHatesMe said:

Feel the same way as I did with Jota. Happy if he's a depth signing as an option, but not thrilled if he's being signed to be the top option.

Yeah, but he's another we can loan out to Derby. :crylaugh:

• Haha 1