Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Absolutely. I'm not sure we'd have gone up if we had kept Nyland in goal.

There certainly would have been a lot of uncertainty dealing with crosses but I did think Nyland was looking better prior to his injury. Equally Kalinic, who I really thought would do well wasn’t really an improvement. Steer did great coming down the stretch but not sold on him as premier league keeper, but thought he did well enough to deserve a shot, with Kalinic hopefully coming good.

If there’s a bigger issue with Kalinic perhaps, eg not settling or a personal issue, perhaps moving things now makes more sense

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KMitch said:

TBH, Guilbert was a signing completely out of left field and a bit of a coup for a Championship club to make. He would have been picked up by an Premier League club on a free this summer, after the season he just had in the French League and we looked like we were nowhere near promotion when he signed for us. I think we’ll have a few very ambitious signings nobody will expect until the news breaks right before the medical. 

El Ghazi would be another, never heard of him when we signed him.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

In my opinion they're on the same level, so no he wouldn't improve us.

It wouldn't matter anyone says....you'd have the opposite view!

And that includes changing your opinion within a split second to suit your argument!

Edited by New_Hope
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Gueye was a brilliant signing who was underappreciated because a lot of people don't understand what a DM is for. PSG tried to sign in January for £26 million. Most tackles per game in PL last season with 4.3. No other player has over 4

Veretout is also quality. The rest I didn't think much of at the time. Ayew slightly but knew he was a lazy player

I'm convinced those sort of signings would work this summer.

Go back to 2015 we were a club on our knees in premier league, terrible depressing atmosphere around the place and they also had to effectively replace Vlaar, Benteke and Delph (and Cleverley).

The narrative is different now. We are on the up and VP will be bouncing in August so much better enviornment for a player to come into.

Amavi and Gana for two would be great fits in this team as we do need upgrades at left back and DM to bring us up to scratch for premier league.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Johnstone is much better than what we've got.

Jota and Roofe isn't they are both bang average.

That's not what you have constantly stated. You said:

'buy championship players and you create a championship team'

But now your saying it's ok if they are good championship players? It's radical thinking, hopefully Smith doesn't go for the crap ones then. 

Edited by av1

Wouldn't be suprised if we looked at Neil Etheridge (Cardiff's keeper)

Deano signed him for Walsall as a free agent after his release by Charlton. and Neil Cutler was the goalkeeping coach there at Walsall and improved Etheridge.

I wanted us to take a punt on Etheridge before he moved to Cardiff from Walsall as a free agent. He is a good keeper.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Johnstone is much better than what we've got.

Jota and Roofe isn't they are both bang average.

I think we'll have to bring in up to 15 players as I can see a similar amount going. Not everyone is going to be a starter. 

I'm not a huge fan of Jota but he replaces Adomah, who wouldn't have been first choice next season anyway. 

• Like 1

I get the feeling Dean Smith lost lots of confidence in Kalinic after the West Brom game.

We can argue if he should've saved the Hal Robson header but I think DS was more disappointed he came off injured. I'm pretty sure he said after the game Kalinic asked to come off at half time so maybe they thought from that point he didn't quite have the mentality to play in English football if he's going to come off with slight knocks (he was on the bench at Stoke a week later so it wasn't a bad injury). Having a 7m keeper on decent wages on the bench isn't a sustainable long term strategy.

Nyland simply isn't good enough for premier league, he gave me enough jitters at championship level.

Think we have to trust Neil Cutler aswell. The guy is an outstanding GK coach, probably the best we've had since Paul Barton who was here in the 90s under Bozzy/ David James. He's improved Steer a lot but if he thinks he dosen't quite have enough to be a regular prem number one you have to respect that opinion.

• Like 1

Hmm, Jed deserves a chance really. He might not cut it but deserves a go. I fear we are trying to change too much too soon if it’s correct. Mings, Grealish and McGinn with El Ghazi seem like starters - everyone else who knows? It’s a lot of change. Dean has a history of it which is in his favour but still a nagging feeling that we will do a Fulham. Think the last club to make so many changes from coming up was Watford and they were ok I guess.

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Hmm, Jed deserves a chance really. He might not cut it but deserves a go. I fear we are trying to change too much too soon if it’s correct. Mings, Grealish and McGinn with El Ghazi seem like starters - everyone else who knows? It’s a lot of change. Dean has a history of it which is in his favour but still a nagging feeling that we will do a Fulham. Think the last club to make so many changes from coming up was Watford and they were ok I guess.

We don't really have a choice thou.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I get the feeling Dean Smith lost lots of confidence in Kalinic after the West Brom game.

We can argue if he should've saved the Hal Robson header but I think DS was more disappointed he came off injured. I'm pretty sure he said after the game Kalinic asked to come off at half time so maybe they thought from that point he didn't quite have the mentality to play in English football if he's going to come off with slight knocks (he was on the bench at Stoke a week later so it wasn't a bad injury). Having a 7m keeper on decent wages on the bench isn't a sustainable long term strategy.

Nyland simply isn't good enough for premier league, he gave me enough jitters at championship level.

Think we have to trust Neil Cutler aswell. The guy is an outstanding GK coach, probably the best we've had since Paul Barton who was here in the 90s under Bozzy/ David James. He's improved Steer a lot but if he thinks he dosen't quite have enough to be a regular prem number one you have to respect that opinion.

Do you mean Paul Barron ;)

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Wouldn't be suprised if we looked at Neil Etheridge (Cardiff's keeper)

Deano signed him for Walsall as a free agent after his release by Charlton. and Neil Cutler was the goalkeeping coach there at Walsall and improved Etheridge.

I wanted us to take a punt on Etheridge before he moved to Cardiff from Walsall as a free agent. He is a good keeper.

Cardiff City are reportedly set to demand at least £10million from any club interested in goalkeeper Neil Etheridge, according to reports.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/price-west-ham-pay-cardiff-16298117

10m is a bargain for him, he's easily as good as Jack Butland who will be overpriced and SHA get 20% of the fee.

Difference with Etheridge compared to someone like Sam Johnstone is he's proven in the premier league and can be improved further so right up our street especially with his history with Smith and Cutler.

• Like 4

Although spending a lot of money comes with risks, I don’t think it should come with too much concern.

The players are likely to have a good resale value, our owners/ceo have their head screwed on, and the rewards of spending such large amounts are both needed and worth it. 

• Like 1