Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Remember when we signed Veretout and Gueye and Ayew and Sinclair and Gestede and Traore and people were counting up how many goals each of them were going to get in the season ahead. Most of the midfielders were going to get ten and then the strikers had 20 in them easy.

Let's not do that again. It was silly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, YLN said:

Remember when we signed Veretout and Gueye and Ayew and Sinclair and Gestede and Traore and people were counting up how many goals each of them were going to get in the season ahead. Most of the midfielders were going to get ten and then the strikers had 20 in them easy.

We've only got 3 players.

Grealish and McGinn should get 50-70 goals between them and Conor about 20 from the bench.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, YLN said:

Talk about a summer of raised expectations. 

I was guilty of it. i thought we'd do really well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YLN said:

Gueye was a brilliant signing who was underappreciated because a lot of people don't understand what a DM is for. PSG tried to sign in January for £26 million. Most tackles per game in PL last season with 4.3. No other player has over 4

Veretout is also quality. The rest I didn't think much of at the time. Ayew slightly but knew he was a lazy player

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Gueye was a brilliant signing who was underappreciated because a lot of people don't understand what a DM is for. PSG tried to sign in January for £26 million. Most tackles per game in PL last season with 4.3. No other player has over 4

Veretout is also quality. The rest I didn't think much of at the time. Ayew slightly but knew he was a lazy player

We simply didn’t have a manger to get the best out of them plus they all landed at the same time. Probably would have worked if the core of the team was still here Benteke , Vlarr , Celverley the Snake ect  

Edited by gwi1890

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Cahill would be a terrible signing imo.

Hes old and slow, and would force our back 4 to play deeper to ensure he isnt caught out with a ball over the top or a through ball, playing deeper to accomodate Cahill would then impact our forward play.

We need someone fairly mobile like Mings (ie: a bit of pace, mobile, fairly good on the ball - which Tuanzebe or Hause were ideal for in the Championship run in).

Signing an immobile 34ish year old would be a huge step backwards for our style of play, and the club ethos of developing players, or at least buying players who arent miles past their prime.

It’s nuts to think that Cahill is 34...

I still remember that loveable little scamp that scored an overhead kick against the Blues...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's June 1st, there are 2 months left of the transfer window.

We need SQUAD players.

We won’t be signing 20 European of Premier League stars.

Also, not every bit of speculation in the papers are true.

But imagine if we did.

4EA5ACC2-186F-4E0B-AA67-D1EA4F9C639D.jpeg

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

We could have signed Messi years ago and the same would have happened. The problem was the management of the club. The players being signed didn't care about Villa, they were just hear for the pay check. Purslow and Smith said as much the other day, they have to be able to play Smith's style of football and the players have to have the right charachter. I'd rather support a champion team than a team of champions, and that is what the club is building, it will take several seasons, but we need to be patient and enjoy the ride. 

Great post. The only bit I’d slightly question is the last part about taking several seasons. I do agree that we must be patient, and it may well take plenty of time. However as others have pointed out, with the exception of the top six or so, there are a lot of average teams in the PL. 

Smith has said we will try to win every game and aim to finish first. I know he realises that this is extremely unlikely, but it’s the correct approach. It would be wrong to aim for 17th and Purslow has said as much.

I think they are looking at Wolves’ first season and perhaps see that as a benchmark. After all Leicester warmed up for their League winning season with a relegation battle. 

I absolutely agree that patience is vital, there will be good times and bad. No one can see the future, however I don’t subscribe to the general theory that we have to aim to survive for a few seasons, slowly crawl up the league and should know our place. Which I don’t think you are suggesting for a moment. 

I think the new owners/management team have only one target and that’s the top. They’re not dreamers and appear to have the skills and ££££ to have a very good chance of getting us there. 

Someone tell the council, the victory parades are only on hold for now. UTV!!!  

Edited by DaveAV1

EWe’ve survived couple of season by players who were not to standard. We stayed atleast two season because of Benteke (the other he also had his part in). 

We had been doing a good job while we had Sylla and Westwood as starters in our midfield. 

Our last season in the Premier League was miserable and makes us fear. But in reality (which with Villa I usually talk with my feeling), we could have done much better with that squad. We had bad management and lack of quality in defence and striker. We also didn’t give Traore his chance, even though we didn’t have another choice. I don’t want to speak about that, but staying up in the Premier League isn’t harder than getting up from the championship.

When Benteke helped us being in the League, he didn’t have football experience let alone PL.

We need quality, our players experienced a lot last season, being hopeless then playing the best football, then getting back hopeless, then turning the table again. They’ve matured a lot.

We need to build a squad. We can’t get a star player in each position. We’ll definitely try our best. But we can’t just go out there and throw 25m in 4 players. We will need 10-12, I can see 2-3 marquee signings, the others will be a hopeful bargains or squad players. If we can get these marquee signing for a striker, winger and a DM. Then we could build up a proper team. We already have (McGin, Grealish, Guilbert), hopefully (Mings, El Ghazi) as a starters. House could have his contribution too. But we can’t expect we’ll throw more than 10m for a LB nor more than 15m for the CB who’ll partner Mings. As we still needs attacking players who’ll suit Smith.

Its really interesting. UTV!

Based on reports so far we are looking at spending £46m to barely stand still...

ST - Abraham (£25m)

CB - Mings (£12m)

RW - El Ghazy (£5m)

LW - Jota (£4m)

Absolutely necessary signings, it just makes me nervous as to how much money we actually have to spend as I can't see how anything less than £100m is going to be enough. Hopefully, we are prepared to do just that.

Still, exciting times if we can bring in the 4 above plus the likes of Konsa and Aribo before looking slightly further afield for another CM, a winger, a LB, a young CB and at least 1 striker.

• Like 1

If you’ve got the ability, you’ve got the ability...

Just because you haven’t had the experience doesn’t mean you can’t do it...

Is there a single player in Watford or Bournemouth’s midfield who you would rather have than John McGinn just on the basis that they have played in the Premier League more than him?

Yes... Experience is a good thing, but if someone isn’t given the opportunity to show what they can do, they never get that experience...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Based on reports so far we are looking at spending £46m to barely stand still...

ST - Abraham (£25m)

CB - Mings (£12m)

RW - El Ghazy (£5m)

LW - Jota (£4m)

Absolutely necessary signings, it just makes me nervous as to how much money we actually have to spend as I can't see how anything less than £100m is going to be enough. Hopefully, we are prepared to do just that.

Still, exciting times if we can bring in the 4 above plus the likes of Konsa and Aribo before looking slightly further afield for another CM, a winger, a LB, a young CB and at least 1 striker.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the money side of things, the owners will be very aware that heavy investment is needed to stay up, I would not be surprised if we spend a record amount for a promoted club this summer, as I think we will need to just to be able to compete. 

Plus we have 2 billionaire owners who I’m sure can give us directors loans if needs be. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

If you’ve got the ability, you’ve got the ability...

Just because you haven’t had the experience doesn’t mean you can’t do it...

Is there a single player in Watford or Bournemouth’s midfield who you would rather have than John McGinn just on the basis that they have played in the Premier League more than him?

Yes... Experience is a good thing, but if someone isn’t given the opportunity to show what they can do, they never get that experience...

Deulofeu and David Brooks

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

ST - Abraham (£25m)

CB - Mings (£12m)

RW - El Ghazy (£5m)

LW - Jota (£4m)

i can see us spending 100m tbh, on top of the above we need a LB, CB & DMC, that would actually cover the first 11.

Then its anything on top of that to actually improve the first 11?

ST - Abraham or someone else - 15-25m

Loans made permanent - Mings / El Ghazi - 20m

RW - Jota (although i reckon jota could play any of the AM roles (AML/AMC/AMR) - 4m

DMC - Phillips?/other? - 15m ish

LB - no idea? - 10m?

CB (to partner MIngs) - no idea? - 10-15m?

AML/AMR to compete for position - Lolley?/Belhrama/other? - 10m

so TBH, we are going to need to spend 70-100m just to get a decent first 11 up and running, with "some" depth.

• Like 1

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Kemar Roofe is holding out for "a bumper £30k salary"

It makes you weep to think of some of the salaries we have dished out. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Kemar Roofe is holding out for "a bumper £30k salary"

It makes you weep to think of some of the salaries we have dished out. 

I can see the old villa management deciding on salaries in a method akin to pin the tail on the donkey......specifically After putting their head on a stick and spinning around.