Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We have so much to do. I really can't help feel it will all be a bit too much. So many players need to come in, settle and hit the ground running. The Premier League is far less forgiving than the Championship. Smith and co have such a tough job this summer.

They have a very tough ride... but it’s all a gamble, there is no perfect way to get promotion and then stay in the PL otherwise every team would do it. We have to workout a way which best suits our strengths and try it out. No guarantee anything will work out, but we have to start somewhere so they’ve gone down the ‘rip out the old wood’ before they get the new, young wood in. I really hope it works but who knows how it will pan out.

We just have to enjoy the ride and see where we end up :) 

• Like 3

I think Sturidge on a free would be good business as a squad player. He’s clearly not one for the future but one of the most talented players available on a free. If we did I just hope we sign and play a Maupay or Abraham as our first choice striker.

We are going to need quality and depth in this squad.

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sturridge is finished, his legs have gone, no longer has the explosive pace he once had and the outcome of this is a very poor goalscoring record over the past 3 years. He's done at this level.

since 2017/18 he has scored just 6 goals in 47 games. no thanks.

• Like 1

Sturridge was on £130k/w at Plop.

Granted he is on nothing /w now but I imagine he will ask for quite a bit and a hefty sign on bonus to boot.

No way would he drop £90k/w to be a rotation player, and above £40k/w is on the top end for a rotation player with a horrible injury record.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Sturridge was on £130k/w at Plop.

Granted he is on nothing /w now but I imagine he will ask for quite a bit and a hefty sign on bonus to boot.

No way would he drop £90k/w to be a rotation player, and above £40k/w is on the top end for a rotation player with a horrible injury record.

I'm sure I remember also more than one previous manager questioning his desire to play and readiness to say he can't play due to injury, specifically as in he was too quick to say "can't play boss I'm injured" where a lot of players would have said they were fine it's just a niggle.

Bit like a child who knocks against a cupboard and start screaming acting like their leg has been chopped off.

The guy is literally an injury merchant and would be a terrible signing imo.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

My thoughts on our most recent transfer links.

Moreno: Good athlete, Good age, Good price! Headless chicken going forward and a liability at the back, he's not improved under Klopp in the last few years and for the money he'd be asking I just don't think it's worth it.

Sturridge: The man is made of poppadoms. I don't see the point in him taking up a place in the squad when he will play so rarely, no room to develop and little in the way of sell on money even if it went well, another no. Waste of wage budget as well.

Rongier: He looks more promising, right age, room to develop, decent chance of his value increasing. Looks a good player and versatile. My only concern not really knowing the guy is his position. Seems to be better and played more as an attacking central midfielder, which is the area of the first team we don't need to improve(Grealish), but can also be decent box to box, again we are covered there(McGinn), but has played defensive midfield and done okay. I'd like to know which of those positions he prefers. If it's defensive midfield then yes. Otherwise the kind of money they will be asking would be better spent on the positions we need.

Jota: He seems like a good squad option and makes sense considering the price.

Ethridge: Looks a good keeper, not sure this is an area we are most desperate to change right now, but if we were I'd be hoping for someone with better distribution as this is key to the way we play, in that respect I don't see him as much of an upgrade on what we already have. Mixed feelings.

Tavernier: As with goalkeeper I don't think right back is an area we are most desperate to change right now. We have Guibert and an adequate and reliable replacement in Elmo.

Milner: Yes, but never going to happen.

Cahill: He's now too slow and never been good enough on the ball to play the way we want, plus the wages would be obscene, nope.

It think there's a lot of agents out there trying to drum up interest in their players and using our name to do so, I think a lot of the links so far have been because of that rather than genuine interest. Also, papers love to add two and two and get five when it comes to these things, we've been linked with plenty of former players because narrative, lot's of Smiths old players because it's an easy link, and Moreno because we so desperately need a left back and he's free. 

Our team seem to do their business on the down low so we likely won't hear too much until a transfer is close, but we seriously have some work to do!

Edited by Teale's 'tache
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

If we signed Dean would be like Micah Richards & Joleon Lescott type signings all over again.

Dean Sturridge retired from playing football in 2007 mate. He's now 45!  :D

But i'd rather we signed him than that croc of shite from Liverpool. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Dean Sturridge retired from playing football in 2007 mate. He's now 45!  :D

But i'd rather we signed him than that croc of shite from Liverpool. 

Damn i meant Daniel i best amend the post :D schoolboy error

You know who i meant and so did i.... Daniel

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Haha 1