Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's always seemed like a bit of a money laundering scheme to me.  I have no evidence to support this of course.

🇷🇺💲💱🧾 🕵️‍ = 🏟️⚽👶💪👨📈 = 🏦💰💰💰

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, wedge said:

Tavernier is great on the ball, I could see why he might be a favourite of DS. Always wary of SPL players making the step up though, the gap in quality cannot be put into words.

Is it the Rangers player we are linked to? The Villa Report site said the Tavernier from Middlesborough. I’ve never seen him but apparently is in the England U20 squad at the Toulon which would fit in with a scout being there and the young players we seem to be going for. 

Purslow, Smith and Suso will be lucky if they get a chance to eat or sleep this summer! Don't think I've ever seen such a massive rebuilding job required for a promoted team. If the season started tomorrow our team would look something like this. 

Steer

Guilbert - Chester - Bree - Taylor

McGinn - Hourihane - Grealish

Elmohamady - Kodjia - Green

Subs: Kalinic, Lansbury, Bjarnason, Gardner, Davis, Hogan, O'Hare. 

A lot of those players are average even for the Championship. Then considering that Gardner, Bjarnason and Hogan will almost certainly be sold. Kalinic, Nyland, Lansbury, Chester, Kodjia, Taylor and Elmo could also leave. Green, O'Hare, Davis and Bree could be loaned out.

I know some of the loan players are likely to return but contracts and transfer fees still need to be negotiated.

Its going to be an exciting summer for us but a stressful one for the transfer committee! I fully trust them to pull it out of the bag but if we do manage to stay up next season they deserve great credit.

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

is your new stadium ready for the 2019 season or is it 2020 now?

2020, one more season left at Griffin Park, I will miss it after 67 years of going there, but also looking forward to a new build stadium.

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

You are Tony and I claim my £1.

no but that’s actually interesting stats, makes me think that we perhaps have let too many of the oldies go.

Almost everyone we let go was so far from our team I think it’s irrelevant. It is only Hutton and Whelan who got more than a minute on the field for us since Christmas isn’t it?

4 hours ago, Thats2 said:

Fair enough. Hopefully we can get to a point where we buy the Maupays and Benrahmas and loan them out, then.

But Kante was thrust directly into the PL, Sancho made his name in the Bundesliga. Gueye was decent for us and clearly PL quality, Richarlison, Mane, Vertonghen, Eriksen - all originally signed for less than 12M, all blooded in the PL. Sigurdsson, Mahrez and Alli played in the lower leagues but hit the ground running in the PL too. I hope our scouts find us that type of player, for those types of deals. 

And we all seem to be think Guilbert’s going straight into the team at RB though he was signed to help us in the Championship.

not sure you're giving us enough credit here on this one...   McGinn, El Ghazi, Hause, & Mings were probably all valued less than 12m at the start of the season.  Problem with Mings is that we didnt fix a price with the loan

• Like 1

TBH, it doesn't matter when we "sign" them, as long as they're ready for preseason.  The only preseason game announced as of now is July 17th against Minnesota.  

I probably would have given Adomah, Hutton, Jedinak and Whelan new contracts. 

The squad is very bare now, and those are reasonable back up players. Maybe not first 18 players, but there are relationships in squads that do not correlate with how good a player is. McGinn might be best friends with Adomah, and Grealish and Whelan might be thinking of buying an apartment share in Ljubljana. 

Now it might seem like a waste of money, but I think we can afford whatever their next clubs are going to pay them to keep the squad spirit as it is and even to have that depth of squad. Perhaps Hutton wouldn't be happy to be fighting with Elmo for a place on the bench and that's why he's gone, but Whelan is probably still worth a place on the bench and Adomah is a player to come in for an injury crisis. 

These aren't players who need games to progress their careers. At this stage they're probably just happy to not have to program in a new route to training on their Google Maps.

I fear our first 18 next season is going to be too dissimilar from our play off final winning team. I think the team that won the play off final would beat the teams that finished 14-17 in the Premier League this season. We fill the team with strangers and when we start losing games next season, who has an investment in the club doing well? McGinn and Grealish and Mings (IF), and they're telling Guilbert to stop googling the career progression of Amavi and Veretout, while our new attacking midfielder sits trying to text his agent underneath his shorts. Meanwhile the other 8 players we've gotten in to replace those that left are still more concerned about getting their parking passes and buying new cars with their new big money contracts, because they've finally hit the big time. 

We will spend big on players who are unproven in the premier league. Almost because it is the done thing, without thought that it might disrupt the dressing room or that these players might be absolute pants. How often next season will we hear that the new players are just adapting to life in English football and next season they'll be better? Hutton Whelan Jedinak and Adomah know English football, and we know them. Hutton can tell new players how he went from Bomb squad to running the length of the pitch to score against the greatest rivals. 

Maybe we're going to sign them all back up at the end of the month, and it's all just a FFP thing.

TLDR; The new players we spend money on may have a less positive impact on the squad than were we to just extend the contracts of the players we've released. And the players we've released may have had a positive impact on the new signings. 

1 hour ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Did some digging...  This guy might have the right idea, but his dates are wrong...  The official date when we join the Premier League is this Friday, June 7th.  This is when the relegated teams "must first transfer back their share certificates that gave them Premier League status.  The Premier League Board of Directors will then confirm the cancellation of these shares.  A new share certificate for each of the promoted clubs will be signed by the Premier League directors and company secretary and the three clubs entered into the share register, as required under company law.   The confirmation of the three promoted clubs as members of the Premier League will then be made at the AGM, when the League will formally welcome them and they will be awarded their framed share certificates."

https://www.premierleague.com/news/701838

https://www.premierleague.com/news/691486?sf189739134=1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Two years in the making...

Bit scary though. Could be almost a whole new backline. First buying the players then needing to gel before the start of the season. And thats just defence. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

to be fair Bowen only has 1 year on his contract (with a 1 year possible extension), so why not?

20-30m for Bowen & Benhrama would sort our wings out big time, then add Jota for 4m for versatility and that side of stuff is done?

El Ghazi, Bowen, Benhrama, Grealish, Jota, McGinn competing for 4 forward thinking midfield roles (AML, MC/AMC, AMR).

My thoughts exactly.

27 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Bit scary though. Could be almost a whole new backline. First buying the players then needing to gel before the start of the season. And thats just defence. 

I think it could have been even scarier had it gone the other way..

We had a taste of it last season so tha k god we made it.

It will near enough be a whole new team once we have signed everyone.

GK x 1, DC x 3, DL x 1, DM, x 1, MR x 2, ML x 1, MC x 1, ST x 3.

Around 13 players to join..

Steer, Kallinic/Nyland, Chester, Elmo, Gulibert, Taylor, Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, Green, Kodja.

I still think Tshibola, Gardner, Lansbury, Bjarnasson and a keeper will all leave and we may even loan out RHM, Davis, Taylor & Green and one of the keepers if we don't sell one.

Up to 13 joining, 9 of them need to be quality 1st teamers and the rest as backup/squad players.

An exciting few months..

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think it could have been even scarier had it gone the other way..

We had a taste of it last season so tha k god we made it.

It will near enough be a whole new team once we have signed everyone.

GK x 1, DC x 3, DL x 1, DM, x 1, MR x 2, ML x 1, MC x 1, ST x 3.

Around 13 players to join..

Steer, Kallinic/Nyland, Chester, Elmo, Gulibert, Taylor, Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, Green, Kodja.

I still think Tshibola, Gardner, Lansbury, Bjarnasson and a keeper will all leave and we may even loan out RHM, Davis, Taylor & Green.

Up to 13 joining, 9 of them need to be quality 1st teamers and the rest as backup/squad players.

An exciting few months..

Yeah good point. Its a nice problem to have. Best to get excited about it rather than worried. Also all the outs are correct in my view as are your additional ones, so its not like we really have a choice.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1