Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

19 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I'd love that to happen, think he's a great left back, but I don't think Spuds would be willing to sell as he made 40 appearances last season.

Limited to 20 starts in the league though. You're right though, they probably wouldn't sell and if they did, Levy asks daft money. 

7 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Not good on the ball.. Maybe you have him mixed up with Nathan Baker? 

Cahill is superb on the ball, has won everything bar the world cup. You don't get 61 England caps if you are a clogger.

1 Champs League, 2 Premier league titles, 2 FA cups, 2 Europa Leagues, 1 League cup.

Still only 33. He won't be any slower now than he was 5 years ago. Plus he had a good rest last season and has never been injury prone.

I find it astonishing people are turning their noses up at Gary Cahill on a free transfer. Personally I'd prefer him to Mings but together they'd be impenetrable 

I'm not saying buy all the old people, but one or 2 real stars and seasoned campaigners amongst the youngsters could be the difference between mid table and relegation.

Pretty sure I didn't call him a clogger. I've just always believed his strengths were in recovery, in the air and reading the game, and not in distribution or moving the ball quickly. He's clearly a good footballer, I just don't feel he has the attributes we need for the system we want to play.

33 year olds are pretty much always slower than they were at 28, I think you'd agree that Adomah was quicker at 28 than he was at 31 last season... players lose speed with age, it's a well known fact. The last few times I saw him play he looked really slow, you can get away with it in the championship as Terry did, not so much in the Premier League unless you are going to sit back and that is not our style.

He's won a lot of things, and fair play to him, I never wanted him to leave the Villa when he did. He's been a great player, but it doesn't mean he still is now, there's a reason Chelsea stopped playing him.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I wouldn't be distraught if we signed him, I just feel we should go in a different direction and look at a more modern center half. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Limited to 20 starts in the league though. You're right though, they probably wouldn't sell and if they did, Levy asks daft money. 

I wouldnt do any business with Spurs until Levy is gone out of principle.

When this club was on its knees and its lowest every ebb, he came swooping in like the vulture he is and tried to get Jack for a pittance thinking we would be desperate to accept and we nearly were. 

Please nobody forget that on here.

• Like 2

So Juanfran (34) name checked Jesús García Pitarch in his leaving speech from Atletico Madrid where he turned down a contract extension..... ''I remember the day I arrived. I remember Pitarch brought me here''. I would give that Juan there a bumper two year contract, massive help to stay up!

https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2019/05/23/5ce6a646ca47418d168b45d5.html 

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I wouldnt do any business with Spurs until Levy is gone out of principle.

When this club was on its knees and its lowest every ebb, he came swooping in like the vulture he is and tried to get Jack for a pittance thinking we would be desperate to accept and we nearly were. 

Please nobody forget that on here.

Levy is a Class A sack of shit...
Hate him and the club he represents

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Image result for get out gif

Mings had a decent 6 months in the Championship so that makes him better than Cahill? not in my book

The only thing Mings has over Cahill is age, but I'd like to see us sign both. Just hope Mings injuries are behind him

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If I'm not mistaken only cb we have at the moment is Chester? 

We need three cbs

I'm sure Mings and Hause are a formality and we are just waiting for a particular moment to announce them, along with Jota no doubt.  That leaves us needed one more first choice right-sided centre half, obviously Tuanzebe would be number one choice but Cahill is a good option, then possibly sign a promising young centre half too in an ideal world.

3 hours ago, useless said:

Being linked to Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard, got twenty-two goals and eight assists for them last season, only twenty-one as well.

bought dembele from fulham and then sold him to lyon for 20m last summer, replaced him with Edouard for 10m and now maybe cashing in on him you would guess for a similar figure

would rather be in front of that curve and see which young striker they are taking the chance on next 

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

Mings had a decent 6 months in the Championship so that makes him better than Cahill? not in my book

The only thing Mings has over Cahill is age, but I'd like to see us sign both. Just hope Mings injuries are behind him

Cahill played 22 minutes of Premier League football last season and is 33 - but is a better defender than Mings who was immense for us over the last 6 months?  Not in my book.

I think we're looking back at Cahill as a top defender.  He isn't anymore.  He'd probably do a decent enough job, but I'd much rather have Mings.  By some distance, too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Pretty sure I didn't call him a clogger. I've just always believed his strengths were in recovery, in the air and reading the game, and not in distribution or moving the ball quickly. He's clearly a good footballer, I just don't feel he has the attributes we need for the system we want to play.

33 year olds are pretty much always slower than they were at 28, I think you'd agree that Adomah was quicker at 28 than he was at 31 last season... players lose speed with age, it's a well known fact. The last few times I saw him play he looked really slow, you can get away with it in the championship as Terry did, not so much in the Premier League unless you are going to sit back and that is not our style.

He's won a lot of things, and fair play to him, I never wanted him to leave the Villa when he did. He's been a great player, but it doesn't mean he still is now, there's a reason Chelsea stopped playing him.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I wouldn't be distraught if we signed him, I just feel we should go in a different direction and look at a more modern center half. 

I meant more in the way that he was never that quick to begin with so he won't he any slower now than he was then, didn't stop him having a fantastic career. 

Wingers need to be quick.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, but I'd be over the moon if we signed him as I honestly believe having his experience and ability in the side would pretty much guarantee us staying up

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Cahill and Mings would be a good partnership IMO

this! that why i suggest him first place after i knew that axel won't back to villa, as i can see this partnership will very good balance with quicker and powerfully in aerial also good feet footballer, good tackle and man-marking it is will be work well.. 

sign both up now! before too late!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Cahill played 22 minutes of Premier League football last season and is 33 - but is a better defender than Mings who was immense for us over the last 6 months?  Not in my book.

I think we're looking back at Cahill as a top defender.  He isn't anymore.  He'd probably do a decent enough job, but I'd much rather have Mings.  By some distance, too.

Just because a new manager doesn't fancy you doesn't mean you aren't good anymore

Graham Taylor thought Juan Pablo Angel was shit and wouldn't play him. The following year he scored 23 goals under David O'Leary.

Cannavaro was 33 when he led Italy to the world cup, 33 is not old for a centre back.

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Just because a new manager doesn't fancy you doesn't mean you aren't good anymore

Graham Taylor thought Juan Pablo Angel was shit and wouldn't play him. The following year he scored 23 goals under David O'Leary.

Cannavaro was 33 when he led Italy to the world cup, 33 is not old for a centre back.

Mate some of our best players were "gettable" by us because they were out of favour at their clubs at the time.

As someone else said, Mings and Cahill would be a VERY good partnership for our first year back in the big leagues.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I didn't say Cahill wasn't good, he'd be perfectly adequate.  All of what you've said is correct, but I'd rather prioritise Mings out of the two given that a] he's played football over the past season, b] he's played for us over the past season, c] he was good for us! and d] he's got the potential to be a long-term stalwart of the team.

I don't see how Cahill beats any of that other than he was once great, and not over the past couple of seasons.  He's going downhill, Mings is improving.

4 hours ago, useless said:

Being linked to Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard, got twenty-two goals and eight assists for them last season, only twenty-one as well.

This one could have legs.

Just checked Skybet and he's odds on to be our next signing.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I didn't say Cahill wasn't good, he'd be perfectly adequate.  All of what you've said is correct, but I'd rather prioritise Mings out of the two given that a] he's played football over the past season, b] he's played for us over the past season, c] he was good for us! and d] he's got the potential to be a long-term stalwart of the team.

I don't see how Cahill beats any of that other than he was once great, and not over the past couple of seasons.  He's going downhill, Mings is improving.

I've already said I want us to sign both, and I didn't say Cahill isn't going downhill. Think he has 2 very good years in him while we solidify ourselves back in the Prem.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Hopefully Man Utd get in an expensive centre  half (de Ligt or the Napoli guy) and we can then stick with Mings and Tuanzebe.

Failing that i’d take the Brentford centre back instead of Cahill.