Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

As well as being true of Elmo (they know exactly what both Elmo and Guilbert are capable of), it just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't give Guilbert a run out over Elmo, even if only for his fitness.

Unless Guilbert has a knock, is awaiting a covid test result, or he's kept himself in top shape and smashed the bleep test through the roof, I'm confused why he didn't get any minutes. 

Edited by MrBlack
expanded as it's on a new page and didn't make sense without the previous 3 posts

Trying out cash and then replacing with elmo, sounds more like they have seen enough of cash to see he may need a little time to settle or get up to speed before being a guaranteed starter and didn't want to risk fred as he will be the starter.

Well thats my take on it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Equally true of Elmo, though. 

The only way I see this making sense, is if the club just want to keep Elmo for the remainder of his contract, and have plans for another Right Back when it ends, or have a top young prospect in the ranks they want to bring through?

Otherwise to me it really makes no sense, I just really don't want Guibert to go.

He just has the attitude and personality which seems good to have around the squad.

The fact that he is basically letting the world and the club know he doesn't want to leave us would make it even more sad ffs.

• Like 2

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The only way I see this making sense, is if the club just want to keep Elmo for the remainder of his contract, and have plans for another Right Back when it ends, or have a top young prospect in the ranks they want to bring through?

Otherwise to me it really makes no sense, I just really don't want Guibert to go.

Kesler?

He is apparently highly rated and expected to be the first breakthrough from our young players.

• Like 1

Guilbert confuses me. Quick down the flank, but regularly kippered on the outside. Gets forward brilliantly, but can't lay a decent cross or pass to save his life. Perhaps going forward he just hasn't adjusted to the pressure and speed of the prem, but I can see why Smith bought Cash (who also looked dodgy defensively yesterday). Was calling all season for Elmo to play at right back, and every time he does he gets quality balls into the box. Shame he gets small knocks regularly.

Cash hardly impressive against the Man U reserves. Looked suspect defensively.

Unpopular opinion but i'd still start with Elmo.

PL experience and he barely ever puts in a below 6/10 performance. Also has a good cross on him.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

As well as being true of Elmo (they know exactly what both Elmo and Guilbert are capable of), it just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't give Guilbert a run out over Elmo, even if only for his fitness.

Unless Guilbert has a knock, is awaiting a covid test result, or he's kept himself in top shape and smashed the bleep test through the roof, I'm confused why he didn't get any minutes. 

Cash number 1 - Elmo number 2 - thought it was pretty obvious myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He just has the attitude and personality which seems good to have around the squad.

The fact that he is basically letting the world and the club know he doesn't want to leave us would make it even more sad ffs.

The only conclusion is those who see him every day in training have a different opinion of him.

I think in the short term he will stay anyway.

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Cash hardly impressive against the Man U reserves. Looked suspect defensively.

Unpopular opinion but i'd still start with Elmo.

PL experience and he barely ever puts in a below 6/10 performance. Also has a good cross on him.

A deserved unpopular opinion - although being it is you that isn't saying much. Elmo is basically targett except he doesn't overlap which makes it impossible to create down the right except for his balls into the box. Our wingers looked shit last season whenever guilbert wasn't playing and the fact he doesn't overlap is the reason why. Also guilbert is our best ball winner and you need those. Look what happened to Leicester after they lost pereira. 

19 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure why he’d come out with that statement if he was on his way out. Which then makes it worse if the club is trying to sell him. Why would he agree to go after that?

I like Guilbert. Good attitude, battler, quick. He's prone to switching off though - and he lacks a final product. 

I'd like to keep him but wasn't surprised we brought in competition. 

Thing is, we need to free up space in our squad, and Freddie is a saleable asset in a way that others aren't. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Pretty sure th Guilbert being pushed out stuff is knackers. We need him as competition for Cash, just like we need a Taylor replacement.

If we sign Rashica and Traore that means we have one right back too many.

Shipping one off only makes sense. Elmo isn't going anywhere. Incredibly important figure in the dressing room and reliable player.

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I like Guilbert. Good attitude, battler, quick. He's prone to switching off though - and he lacks a final product. 

I'd like to keep him but wasn't surprised we brought in competition. 

Thing is, we need to free up space in our squad, and Freddie is a saleable asset in a way that others aren't. 

Agree, 20m plus Traore and Lyon can have him, 80% sell on fee

Â